Question

wifi calling not working after update

• Fearless Explorer
  • 8 replies
After the recent update on my UK p30 Pro WiFi calling doesn't seem to be working. Anyone have this issue?

Normally at work I have it on airplane mode and WiFi on. The GSM reception is terrible here and battery drains quite quickly.

The option is still there and turned on but I only realised it wasn't working yesterday when I got home from work and heard I wasn't reachable.

23 replies

Yes I have exactly the same issue. Wifi calling was working but at some point recently it has ceased to function. Generally I have a reasonable mobile signal but was away at the weekend with zero signal. Thought wifi calling would come on but nothing worked. Settings and account all say its activated but it doesn't work. I'm guessing it's a software issue. It was pretty annoying considering it's an expensive high end phone. Needs a fix and soon
Happy I'm not the only one.

I noticed it this weekend. I have bad GSM reception at work so normally turn on flight mode and WiFi to Dave battery.

Got home later to find out people had tried to call me multiple times but nothing came to me.

I did notice before on the battery power consumption graph that network would always show as being used (albeit green) before the update even in flight mode. After the update in the flight mode, network shows as being not used at all.

Not sure if that related!
I'm a little confused as my wife has a p30 with same software version and same network provider and WiFi calling works perfectly well.
P30 and p30 pro? Are both your and wife phones p30?
My phone is a p30 pro 9.1.0.178. on Three network
P30 and p30 pro? Are both your and wife phones p30?
Yes both p30, mine is the pro and its the one not working. We're both on same software version and both on Vodafone
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hmm, strange. I wondered if it might be a provider issue, but given the different providers it's unlikely. I'd recommend perhaps a reset to see if this helps. Amy explains how in this post:

https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-a-question-faq-s-3/having-problems-with-your-device-try-to-reset-your-phone-1205
Hmm, strange. I wondered if it might be a provider issue, but given the different providers it's unlikely. I'd recommend perhaps a reset to see if this helps. Amy explains how in this post:

https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-a-question-faq-s-3/having-problems-with-your-device-try-to-reset-your-phone-1205

Thanks for your reply. I've tried resetting the network settings and wiping the cache but no change I'm afraid.
I have also tried clearing the cache and resetting the network settings. Only thing I have done is a full factory reset. I'm apprehensive of doing that as it's a lot of work!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I have also tried clearing the cache and resetting the network settings. Only thing I have done is a full factory reset. I'm apprehensive of doing that as it's a lot of work!

try downloading three's wifi calling app called three intouch, to see it the problem still persists.
here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/three/three-intouch/three-intouch-6-0-1-release/three-intouch-6-0-1-android-apk-download/

let us know if the above helps
The Three InTouch app has been discontinued since May. It looks like an app that used to route calls through itself.

I don't understand why the inbuilt android feature has suddenly stopped. Is anyone with a p30 pro on firmware 9.1,0.178 having or not having the same issue? So far two of us are.
I've done so further digging around and have the exact same issue reported on EE forums so I'm more and more inclined to think it's a Huawei and P30 pro issue.

Exactly the same issue with same phone on multiple networks. Looking for Huawei solution!!
Userlevel 4
The EE network just launched 5g which I suspect might have something to do with it, I have several smartphones and for example the Sony Xperia 1 kept dropping signal constantly which was addressed with a software update. Also EE are the only network in the UK which uses Volte as standard with Voice calls which can not be turned off. I will investigate it further and if I find out anything I will post it here.
The EE network just launched 5g which I suspect might have something to do with it, I have several smartphones and for example the Sony Xperia 1 kept dropping signal constantly which was addressed with a software update. Also EE are the only network in the UK which uses Volte as standard with Voice calls which can not be turned off. I will investigate it further and if I find out anything I will post it here.
Thanks for your reply and looking into the issue. Some of the EE posts are a month old but all refer to P30 pro. Thanks again
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all,

I apologize for the delay in coming back to you. We can escalate your matter to our development team, so we can solve it as soon as possible for you with a system update.

In order to make a request, can you please send me a private message with the serial number and current build number of your phone. You can find both of them in Settings > System > About phone. Please do not post either number on this discussion.
Also we will need to know the network provider further.
I would also recommend you to try a backup and a factory reset for the update to be properly installed.

To send a private message, simply click on my name in the discussion post. In the new menu that appears, select "Send message".

Looking forward to your reply!

Best,
Charlie T. 🤓
Private message sent thank you.
Hi, I'm not using P30 pro, but recently my mate 20 pro has just been updated to EMUI 9.1. Its EMUI 9.1.0.300 to be exact and I have not been able to use my Three Wifi Calling!

I have been using it fine until this update which happened 2 weeks ago. I've rung customer support, perform all the cache wipes but still no wifi calling. Just short of a hard reset. Don't really want to do that!
Hi, it looks like some kind of software glitch when updating.

The only way I was able to get back WiFi calling was by doing a full reset unfortunately.

Its now making me wary of future updates.
I have recently done the update to EMUI 9.0.1, all is great apart from WiFi calling. When I have WiFi calling on and I make or receive a call, I can hear the person i'mm speaking with, but they cannot hear me.

Seems like a poor bug to allow out on an update especially since this isn't the first batch of models to receive the update.

Anyone have any ideas about how to sort this out? I can switch it off for a few weeks but generally speaking having WiFi calling is useful when i am in poor coverage areas.
Hi all, i have a P30 Pro with EE and i have the same wifi calling problem. After talking to EE for a while and chatting to Huawei tech it seems that after a recent update, wifi calling will only work when it cannot detect a 4G signal. Which is all a bit odd as when i put airplane mode on with wifi enabled i still cant get wifi calling to work. Still some digging to be done, i was thinking about if i could roll back the lates update to see if that works. Hopefully the next update to EMUI 10 might address the problem.
@s.auston

I honestly think that is just EE or Huawei tech guessing.

I do think that some updates on the p30 pro are somehow causing it to stop functioning.

I know this is a hassle, but I do think if you did a full factory reset, you should get back WiFi calling.

I've tried wiping network or cache but none of this has worked.
They're all just guessing which is utterly ridiculous. A premium product with poor service. It surely can't be beyond these people to fix this issue but I fear Iceze is right.

I still have the issue and Vodafone are simply not interested, to be fair though its a huawei issue in my opinion. I'm guessing there just aren't enough people with the issue for them to be bothered.

Hard reset really isn't an acceptable fix but seems the only solution in the short term at least.
Yes exactly, I have the same issue with my P30 after the last software update the WiFi calling has stopped working!! I called three network they don't have idea why that's happened! They told me to reset the mobile which was in fact of no any benefit and the problem persist😔.
If it is Huawei software issue hopefully they rectify that quickly, or if there is solution would be nice to it.
BW