Answered

Capture Stars using Huawei P20 Pro

Userlevel 2
  • Fearless Explorer
  • 5 replies
Hi!

I have recently bought Huawei P20 Pro and dont have photography experience. i want to shoot stars but unable to do as i dont know how to do setting. in light painting mode i have captured star trails but unabe to capture clear stars. Kindly help and suggest.
icon

Best answer by Tony 6 December 2018, 15:09

You can but its a little trickier. Again you need a tripod, set the ISO to around 800 and use a shutter speed of around 15 or 30 seconds.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Iqbal, welcome on the community!

I think @Tony might be able to help you with this. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
https://youtu.be/49i0wU1ipt8

Check out a video I made on this very subject 👍

Make sure you are using a tripod, you won't be able to capture stars properly without one.
Userlevel 2
@Tony i have captured using star trails but the picture was different. sample is attached. i have watched the video and do the same but the results were different. i want to capture image same like in video.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You're leaving it taking the shot for too long. You must have had it going for around 10-15 minutes to capture a trail like that. Try around 30 seconds.
Userlevel 2
i have tried it but the picture seems a little blury. is there any way i can take clear picture using Pro mode?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You can but its a little trickier. Again you need a tripod, set the ISO to around 800 and use a shutter speed of around 15 or 30 seconds.
Userlevel 2
thank you Tony for the suggestions. i have tripod which i used to capture images. i will try today and will share the results. thank you for your time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
it also helps to use a timer as the initial shake from pressing the button can be enough to cause a bit of blur in the picture.

Regards Jase.
Userlevel 1
iqbal wrote:

Hi!

I have recently bought Huawei P20 Pro and dont have photography experience. i want to shoot stars but unable to do as i dont know how to do setting. in light painting mode i have captured star trails but unabe to capture clear stars. Kindly help and suggest.

Iqbal,
You need a tripod, or failing that a rock to rest yur phone on so it's perfectly still.
G to the camera and select 'pro' mode, then select ISO 1600 & Shutter speed of around 20 secs. You can go longer or higher on the iso setting, but you risk too much graining due to noise.
Pick a spot where light pollution is at a minimum. Go out in to the sticks somewhere, and make sure the moon isn't out.
Yu should be good to go then, enjoy!
See below for a shot I took with my P20 Pro of the milky way.

Userlevel 2
thank you so much all helping me. as per my understanding i need to find a place where light pollution is minimum and need to buy tripod so, keeping in mind i am going northern areas to capture images. will share soon.
Jase wrote:

it also helps to use a timer as the initial shake from pressing the button can be enough to cause a bit of blur in the picture.

Regards Jase.

Don't forget also the 'Say Cheese' option under Camera => Settings => Audio Control => Say Cheese , it works a treat (even if any onlookers might think you're a bit odd when taking a picture of a non human object).
As it was a clear night experimented shooting stars with both Pro and Night modes. Best result came with the latter after I set the shutter speed manually to 20 seconds (leaving this on auto meant the shapes in the foreground drowned out the stars).

I left ISO on auto but noted the camera chose 250, which was lower than other shots where the results were less pleasing to the eye (see second example).

There is some light pollution here but the plough can be clearly seen.

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings