Answered

P20Pro - resolution of photographs

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 2 replies
Hello all,

I was taking pictures with Huawei P20Pro and wanted to print out one of them, but to my disappointment I found out that resolution of a photograph is only 72 ppi. Then I have taken photographs with all possible resolutions on phone: 40M, 10M and 7Ms – all of them have 72 ppi according to Photoshop whilst an old Olympus digital camera takes pictures with 314 ppi.

Is it right that photographs of Huawei P20Pro have so low resolution – 72ppi or have I got wrong setting somewhere or a faulty phone?
icon

Best answer by Jase 22 January 2019, 01:51

Hi Lara,

The pixels per inch (ppi) are directly related size of picture you are trying to print out.

If you reduce the size of image you are trying to print the ppi will increase as you will be using the same amount of megapixels over a smaller area.

For example a 9 megapixel photo printed at a size of 10" X 10" will have 300 ppi but the same 9 megapixel photo printed at 8" X 8" will have 375 ppi as it's squeezing more pixels into a smaller area therefore the pixels per inch increases.

Ps. a square 40 megapixel image printed at 72 ppi is approximately 88" X 88 " (2.23m X 2.23m) which is absolutely huge, so I'm guessing you've definitely got some setting wrong in Photoshop 😉

@Exitcode you are indeed correct the P20 does have an impressive 408 ppi screen but in this instance I don't think it's what Lara was asking about.

Regards Jase

View original

6 replies

That is wrong p20 Pro has 440 ppi.
What settings do you have on your phone? Could you please share it with us…

I have never seen any information on the Internet about ppi of pictures taken with Huawei…

Could you please show us your Huawei picture with 440 ppi reading by your computer… and I will try to check ppi on mine… maybe settings on my computer are wrong…
The phone comes with a 6.10-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080 pixels by 2240 pixels at a PPI of 408 pixels per inch. The Huawei P20 Pro ispowered by 1.8GHz octa-core (4x2.36GHz + 4x1.8GHz) processor and it comes with 6GB of RAM. This is the official specs of the p20 Pro.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Lara,

The pixels per inch (ppi) are directly related size of picture you are trying to print out.

If you reduce the size of image you are trying to print the ppi will increase as you will be using the same amount of megapixels over a smaller area.

For example a 9 megapixel photo printed at a size of 10" X 10" will have 300 ppi but the same 9 megapixel photo printed at 8" X 8" will have 375 ppi as it's squeezing more pixels into a smaller area therefore the pixels per inch increases.

Ps. a square 40 megapixel image printed at 72 ppi is approximately 88" X 88 " (2.23m X 2.23m) which is absolutely huge, so I'm guessing you've definitely got some setting wrong in Photoshop 😉

@Exitcode you are indeed correct the P20 does have an impressive 408 ppi screen but in this instance I don't think it's what Lara was asking about.

Regards Jase
Jase… Thank you very much for your clear explanation – much appreciated 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Lara wrote:

Jase… Thank you very much for your clear explanation – much appreciated :)

Your most welcome

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings