Poor quality photos with P20 Lite

I'm new to Huawei phones having had an iPhone for years and feeling a bit confused! Ive just bought the p20 lite and was looking forward to using the camera as I'd heard good things. I know it's not as good as the p20 or pro so wasn't expecting that quality but the quality I'm ending up with is pretty dreadful. Even in good light pictures are always grainy and fuzzy looking. When you zoom in the detail is really poor. What am I doing wrong?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Pam,

If your intending on taking pictures and zooming in to perhaps crop its best to make sure your phone is set to take the biggest picture size (MP).

To do this - when taking a picture go into settings - and select picture size/quality and ensure the highest MP is selected should be 16MP for the P20 Lite
Gordo26 wrote:

Hi Pam,

If your intending on taking pictures and zooming in to perhaps crop its best to make sure your phone is set to take the biggest picture size (MP).

To do this - when taking a picture go into settings - and select picture size/quality and ensure the highest MP is selected should be 16MP for the P20 Lite

Yeah it's already set at 16MP but, even without zooming in, the picture just doesn't look as clear or detailed as what I was able to take with the iPhone. 😩
Userlevel 4
Silly question - there isn't any sort on lens protective film is there? from shipping?
Gordo26 wrote:

Silly question - there isn't any sort on lens protective film is there? from shipping?

No, I thought that too but there's nothing.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@Pamcakes

Thank you for sharing this experience!

In response to your question, the P20 Lite uses exclusively a digital zoom so, upon processing, picture quality may drop a little. What you can try in this case is taking the picture without zooming, and then "zooming" in post-processing by cropping the picture.

Max
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Max wrote:

@Pamcakes

Thank you for sharing this experience!

In response to your question, the P20 Lite uses exclusively a digital zoom so, upon processing, picture quality may drop a little. What you can try in this case is taking the picture without zooming, and then "zooming" in post-processing by cropping the picture.

Max

I could be wrong but I think that's what Pamcakes is already doing, I don't think she's referring to zooming before taking the photo.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@Pamcakes

Have you had any success in solving the poor quality pictures on your P20 LIte?

Looking forward to your reply!

Max
I've got the same problem with new P20 Lite. Camera pictures are grainy even with decent lightning where e.g older samsung J5 and iphone6 from 4 years back does give better quality. I was expecting lot better than that. Any movement in the scene will get image unusable, which would mean that I can take pictures only with tripod on the P20 lite.

No zooming involved and also been trying with all settings - no changes to get grainy pictures clearer 😞

I hope this is software issue and is being resolved? Is there a possibly software update that would fix image prosessing for P20 lite?

Thank you for help!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi all,

Thank you for taking your time to report on the situation and providing us with further information.

We have taken your feedback, opinions and comments into account and escalated the provided information further to the appropriate departments.

Should we have any news, we will keep you updated on the situation!

Best wishes,
Max

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings