How to take stunning low light photos

• 8 August 2018
  • 4 replies
How to take stunning low light photos
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Community Manager
  • 2360 replies
The P20 Pro camera has a lot of unique features that will make you love taking pictures, like a pro! Taking pictures in well-lighted environments is an easy task even for a newbie. What will make you a pro is taking amazing shots in low light conditions with your Huawei P20 Pro.

To amaze the folks, you can use Night mode and Light painting mode which is more to capture blurring car or city lights. In this article I’ll explain how these two features work. Starting with night mode.

Night mode
Night shot mode will take multiple exposures during the shooting process. If you want to manually adjust the ISO and shutter speed, keep the ISO at 200 or lower and the shutter speed slower than 5s for best results. You don't need a tripod to remain steady, this handheld night mode will do the trick for you!

How to use this mode: Open the camera app and go to the ‘Night Shot’ mode. Find the best frame, tap the shutter and stay still for a couple of seconds. Your P20 Pro will do the rest!

Light painting mode
Light painting mode automatically sets a slow shutter speed to take long-exposure shots of light trails. It offers four creative shooting modes for different subjects and light conditions. So you can get creative!

How to use this mode: To minimize camera shake, place your phone on a stable surface or use a tripod. Open the camera. Swipe right on the viewfinder and touch 'Light painting'. Touch the button at the bottom-right corner of the screen to choose a setting:
  • Tail light trails: Capture trails of light made by cars at night.
  • Light graffiti: Capture trails of light in a dark environment.
  • Silky water: Capture silky-smooth images of flowing water.
  • Star track: Capture stunning images of star trails in the night sky.
Make sure to read Tony's blog on Light Painting on the Huawei P20 Pro. He used star trails and posted a video on this incredible feature.

Share your tips and tricks!
Do you master the low-light skills? Share your tips and tricks or share some examples, we'd love to see your beautiful low-light pictures.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Here are some of my recent shots.

Userlevel 1

Pic taken with the P20 Pro in low light. Not too bad I think.

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi! Thanks for sharing:) Could you tell us the story behind those photos?
Userlevel 4
Öh. Sure. :)

The first one was taken on a walk in the evening in Mannheim, Germany. You can see the Wasserturm the the landmark of Mannheim.

The second one shows the place in front of the ZKM in Karlsruhe, a museum for art and media. I saw this when I walked out of the cinema thats behind me. I watched the movie Sicario 2. 🙂