Huawei Watch GT (LiteOS)/Huawei Health Bugs and suggestions

Show first post

174 replies

Why do my fitness stats not add up correctly on Huawei Health summery? If you look at the monthly total, the totals don't add up to the individual runs/walks that have been completed. In addition to this, dispute having imperial measurement selected, the weekly/Monthly total dosplay in metric only, which is just stupid and lazy programming

Userlevel 1
I just tested this. I have the GT on my left arm, the Blaze on my right arm and my Pixel 2 XL with both Huawei Health and Google Fit installed.

Google Fit is showing 36 calories
Huawei Health is showing 0 calories
Blaze is showing 34 calories
GT is showing 0 calories

What gives?
Userlevel 2
Its crap?
Userlevel 1
Woodstar wrote:

Its crap?

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't expect there to be significant difference. So I've had all my devices all through the night and here's my comparison now (13 hours later)

Google Fit is showing 1,986 calories
Huawei Health is showing 57 calories
Blaze is showing 1,344 calories
GT is showing 43 calories

I'm at a loss for words......
Userlevel 3
nikolo98 wrote:

Woodstar wrote:

Its crap?

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't expect there to be significant difference. So I've had all my devices all through the night and here's my comparison now (13 hours later)

Google Fit is showing 1,986 calories
Huawei Health is showing 57 calories
Blaze is showing 1,344 calories
GT is showing 43 calories

I'm at a loss for words......

The words you're looking for are "Its crap" lol
Userlevel 1
For me this watch is great, I would have sold it already if it were like other 1-4day charge health monitor watches. I am not hugely interested in counting calories but would have liked some kind of info calculated by weight height and heart rate. I don't need my watch to reply to messages as I can do that on my phone but I do get how some might like a suggested response like OK or yes etc like you do in a message notification it's just not important to me. I am interested in the heart rate and exercise parts which seem to work OK but I would like auto on off for training as I rarely remember to start it and and virtually always forget to stop it. I would like a customisable screen on time 4-10 seconds. On the whole I am very satisfied with the watch
Hi all,

I'm a recent owner of Huawei Watch GT, battery lifetime was a major factor, and personalized training options straight from the watch, was also a factor I considered to be important option, so far I'm pleased with the experience, but I've found some gaps here and there.
The most important of the gaps until now, is the lack of information with the regards to getting proper support, and this is not on the watch, Portuguese Huawei Portal, has no support contact, and the only open community I could find was this one, again with very few information available, now about the watch per se:
Features:
Floor count only seems to work while training, as for me it sound like a feature that would make sense to enable even out of training scenario; Or it doesn't work at all since I don't see any data recorded other then "Elevation"...
Again around floor count, syncing this information from huawei health to the smartphone native health counts would also make sense to include. I have an iphone and this is not included from your health app.
Calibration features lacking: Step Calibration, Ground Elevation (I live near the see, but not under it, and my records show very commonly, several meters below 0, some kind of calibration would be interesting to add, on these options.

It would be very interesting to also add sync of " Floor, Activity, Exercise Minutes, VO2 max, Resting energy, Workouts,Cycling Distance, Weight and Walking Heart Rate Average" natively available on iPhone Health App so it would make sense to update it to have sharable data between other health apps.

Bugs:
As you might understand already, I use an iPhone;
"Find my phone" only works while Huawei Health is actually open or running in background, if I close it, it doesn't work;
Translation error for weather in Portuguese is bad, in Weather, "Sun" days is translated to Dom. (Domingo witch means Sunday), my suggestion If the weather is "Sunny" it means it's "Clear" translates to "Limpo".

Please add support information/contact in every country portal, so we can reach out to you, report bugs and make this watch a real competitor against Garmin Fenix 3 HR the watch you publicly claim GT goes against.

Most of the features, aside from Calibration settings can be added through your health app so just keep up the good work and work to make it even better.

Regards,
Carlos
Userlevel 3
I'm gonna keep following this post as even though I sold my GT if things improve software wise I will be back in a flash because I think the watch is beautiful, Its like a Lamborghini, very slick and sexy looking but sadly its got the engine of a Ford Fiesta meaning looks the part but let down badly by bugs and crappy software.
Userlevel 1
I have to say one thing outside of the battery that's better than my other trackers on the GT, the bluetooth connectivity. I've not once seen a disconnect between the watch and my phone. It certainly holds a lot better than my old Blaze so that's a step up.

One thing else I just noticed, maybe some of the other community members can confirm this:

on the activity dashboard, the red circle that represents "get up and move" (I'm assuming, the icon shows a chair and a person standing next to it), I could never hit 12. It'll always get all the way up to 11 and never quite get to 12. Is that a bug?
Userlevel 1
I've hit 12 regularly not entirely sure what it represents though. I guessing that you got up and moved around for more than 10 mins at a time or your heart rate hit a certain level.
I've just gotten the GT yesterday and was initially very impressed with it. But after a day of use and delving deeper into the data I realised that I've wasted my money and I am probably wasting my time and effort commenting here as well. I just cannot believe that such unfinished product can be released into the market and even worst, after having been released for over 2 months, such major problems with the watch is not being address. The watch is basically not fit for its intended use. Here are some of the MAJOR problems I've noticed just from ONE DAY of use. And I am sure there are many more that I have not discover yet (but others here have mentioned.)

1. Step counts can be way off. I did close to 5000 steps just lounging around the house. I suspect lifting weights somehow equated to step counts but they both contributed separately calories burned (double counting?)
2. Step counts does not match between watch and app.
3. I walked 5km inside my small flat!
4. Calories burned is wrong. I burned 700 in a day that's after going to the gym.
5. Calories burned does not match between watch and app.
6. Even though I did a gym session, the watch acknowledges this in one screen (workout record) but yet on another it said that I didn't exercise for the day (activity record)
7. I cannot find anywhere the explanation what the various fields actually mean (this is double troublesome when the data on the fields are wrong or somehow not registering)

There are many other annoyances but I don't want to waste my effort going into those as the listed above already render the watch useless as a fitness device. This is by far the biggest disappointment of any purchase I've had. It feels that I've been conned. Totally unacceptable. I do not feel comfortable reselling this on any second hand site as I would feel guilty that someone will pick up this garbage and be disappointed. I do, however, hope and wait with bated breath that Huawei do keep the updates coming to address these fundamental issues.
Userlevel 3
BJC wrote:

I've just gotten the GT yesterday and was initially very impressed with it. But after a day of use and delving deeper into the data I realised that I've wasted my money and I am probably wasting my time and effort commenting here as well. I just cannot believe that such unfinished product can be released into the market and even worst, after having been released for over 2 months, such major problems with the watch is not being address. The watch is basically not fit for its intended use. Here are some of the MAJOR problems I've noticed just from ONE DAY of use. And I am sure there are many more that I have not discover yet (but others here have mentioned.)

1. Step counts can be way off. I did close to 5000 steps just lounging around the house. I suspect lifting weights somehow equated to step counts but they both contributed separately calories burned (double counting?)
4. Calories burned is wrong. I burned 700 in a day that's after going to the gym.
6. Even though I did a gym session, the watch acknowledges this in one screen (workout record) but yet on another it said that I didn't exercise for the day (activity record)
7. I cannot find anywhere the explanation what the various fields actually mean (this is double troublesome when the data on the fields are wrong or somehow not registering)

There are many other annoyances but I don't want to waste my effort going into those as the listed above already render the watch useless as a fitness device. This is by far the biggest disappointment of any purchase I've had. It feels that I've been conned. Totally unacceptable. I do not feel comfortable reselling this on any second hand site as I would feel guilty that someone will pick up this garbage and be disappointed. I do, however, hope and wait with bated breath that Huawei do keep the updates coming to address these fundamental issues.

Welcome to the Huawei Watch GT, The exact same annoyances I had and why I returned mine. It a device that looks like a smartwatch but doesn't have smart watch features and is crap as a fitness tracker for the reasons you state. And the thing is Huawei haven't showed any interest in fixing these bugs.

Its a real shame though as I think it really is a beautiful watch, the display is the best I've seen on a smart watch.
Userlevel 2
BJC wrote:

Hi I'm exactly the same, the biggest issue for me is the app and watch counts steps, effectively doubling the amount you have done!! It's a beautiful watch, the battery is great and it tells time, but that's about it!!
Mine is on gumtree for sale, gone back to Fitbit.
Userlevel 1
I see some of that so my watch which is on my wrist 247 unless being charged or I'm having a shower or I'm cleaning the strap always shows a lower count(9k on watch and 11 on app today). I believe it is because the app takes watch and phone data and merges it, it says that in the app. Phone in pockets and watches on wrists are bound to be different in what they class as a step. possibly it takes the higher of the two or some combined algorithm. Possibly because the watch doesn't count small number of steps that would not be classed as exercise whereas the app and phone do(or so it would appear to me).

My calories burned seems low to me but I assume that it is based Purley on the exercise when heart rate is above a certain level say 110. I guess it is only depicting the calories burned directly from that rather than that combined with the regular amount. I feel the distance traveled is pretty accurate as if I go for a walk it ties in with what I'd think. I'll have to go out with a map my ride or similar app to get a correlation.

I would recommend that you check your weight height etc set in the app to see if they were set correctly/ accurately if you notice discrepancies.

In terms of the activity records I too have noticed one screen says nothing (orange bar at the top) but if I go back through in the me tab and go back through the history then I see I have a daily calorie and reports or exercise periods set up on my watch in the exercise tab.

I regard myself as a casual exerciser but I do find the watch helps motivate me. Even if I was going to go full hardy I understand the limitations of the technology and would not expect it to be 100% accurate all of the time, nor does it really matter too much. As long as you are consistent with how you measure your exercise you can build up fitness/training patterns and observe the improvements you gain over time.
Userlevel 1
Sorry if this has already been suggested but I would like to be able to edit the recorded Sleep periods in the Health App.

I have had a few occasions now where the watch/app has erroneously marked me as either napping during the day or been asleep (while laid in bed watching TV).

Being able to remove/edit this would be good to keep things accurate.
I went on a walk yesterday with the GT and a Polar M430 on my wrists to compare the results and here's what I found/suspect.

1) The watch itself is quite usable if you ignore the sync issues with the Health app
2) Calories expenditure on the GT is lower than polar and I suspect the GT calculates active calories (calories from exercise only) and polar includes calories that you would have burned anyway during that time even if you weren't exercising.
3) The low calorie burned during the day is not the total calorie burned but just from the days activities. If you know your BMR (calories you burn in a day without any exercise), then adding that to the calories figure would equate to your daily calorie.
4) The walk according to Polar was 5.5km but GT only recorded 4.5km. This I suspect is because I stopped a lot and was taking pictures and GT might not have taken short distance variation in one location into account but Polar does. Polar does have a problem when the sky is heavily overcast because as the GPS tracks every single location point, it jumps around due to poor satellite tracking and may over estimate distances by a wide margin. The problem of GT underestimating distance may not occur if the hike was continuous and the person not dwelling in one particular location.

All in all, I think that the GT method of calculation might even be more useful and advanced. The problem is that there is no explanation to users what the figures actually meant and how it was derived. Its as if the technician/programmers did their part and couldn't be bothered to explain the reasons behind the calculations or write up a proper manual. I feel the watch by itself is still useful but there are still many bugs that needs ironing out. Let's just hope the updates keep coming.
BJC wrote:

I went on a walk yesterday with the GT and a Polar M430 on my wrists to compare the results and here's what I found/suspect.

1) The watch itself is quite usable if you ignore the sync issues with the Health app
2) Calories expenditure on the GT is lower than polar and I suspect the GT calculates active calories (calories from exercise only) and polar includes calories that you would have burned anyway during that time even if you weren't exercising.
3) The low calorie burned during the day is not the total calorie burned but just from the days activities. If you know your BMR (calories you burn in a day without any exercise), then adding that to the calories figure would equate to your daily calorie.
4) The walk according to Polar was 5.5km but GT only recorded 4.5km. This I suspect is because I stopped a lot and was taking pictures and GT might not have taken short distance variation in one location into account but Polar does. Polar does have a problem when the sky is heavily overcast because as the GPS tracks every single location point, it jumps around due to poor satellite tracking and may over estimate distances by a wide margin. The problem of GT underestimating distance may not occur if the hike was continuous and the person not dwelling in one particular location.

All in all, I think that the GT method of calculation might even be more useful and advanced. The problem is that there is no explanation to users what the figures actually meant and how it was derived. Its as if the technician/programmers did their part and couldn't be bothered to explain the reasons behind the calculations or write up a proper manual. I feel the watch by itself is still useful but there are still many bugs that needs ironing out. Let's just hope the updates keep coming.

I agree with you,
for example it is absurd that you measure calories only in steps and not with heart stress, but equally absurd to start training "Other" and see caloric consumption being totally still.
One crucial thing that is missing are the "Circuit" Workouts with rounds of work and recovery times (as with the Polar system)
It's a great watch, we hope they'll update soon.
Userlevel 3
Calories burned is way off on my fitbit, it gives the total for the day not just exercises but if its wrong whats the point?

As for updates they seem a bit sparce and they never seem to actually fix what people are looking, the odd bug fix, the odd watch face but nothing ground breaking. I really don't think they will do anything people are looking.
Userlevel 1
Thehangryguy wrote:

Calories burned is way off on my fitbit, it gives the total for the day not just exercises but if its wrong whats the point?

As for updates they seem a bit sparce and they never seem to actually fix what people are looking, the odd bug fix, the odd watch face but nothing ground breaking. I really don't think they will do anything people are looking.

I don't think you can actually expect new features that weren't already designed for this watch so soon. New products come out programmers have to fix the bugs. New features actually take months to design and test, and some may never be possible. Look at how many iterations android has gone through before they finally added dark mode, which I was kind of asking for since my first android phone the galaxy s3.

I too would love to see community suggestions added at least as options such as more info/ calculation methods added somewhere, and some not too technical personalization eg display phone step counts and watch counts separately.
Userlevel 3
Goldie wrote:

Thehangryguy wrote:

I don't think you can actually expect new features that weren't already designed for this watch so soon. New products come out programmers have to fix the bugs. New features actually take months to design and test, and some may never be possible. Look at how many iterations android has gone through before they finally added dark mode, which I was kind of asking for since my first android phone the galaxy s3.

I too would love to see community suggestions added at least as options such as more info/ calculation methods added somewhere, and some not too technical personalization eg display phone step counts and watch counts separately.

I was thinking this myself. Perhaps its just not possible to add the things we'd want, perhaps all they can do is fix bugs etc, in the next release they might bring out the features we want, perhaps this was just like a device to test the waters of what people want.

At the moment its a device that doesn't do anything particularly well apart from tell the time, I mean it won't even sync weather in the background, you have to go into Huawei health and sync and by that stage you already know what the weather is.by the widget on your phone
Userlevel 1
Hey everyone, I just got updated to version 1.0.5.22. There is a new "elegant" face and some bug fixes. I thought I had a problem with the message notifications but a quick restart fixed it.

Another clear fix is the compass.... It doesn't need calibration every time you fire up the app anymore.

Anyone else on the new update?
Userlevel 3
nikolo98 wrote:

Hey everyone, I just got updated to version 1.0.5.22. There is a new "elegant" face and some bug fixes. I thought I had a problem with the message notifications but a quick restart fixed it.

Another clear fix is the compass.... It doesn't need calibration every time you fire up the app anymore.

Is there anything we actually want in this update?
Userlevel 1
Nope, from the looks of it, the steps are still being counted from both the watch and phone.... nothing else new that I can tell. Really wish that Huawei would have some kind of documentation to explain how the data is being collected. I mean I love the sleep tracking bit where they explain what everything means within the HH app.
Thehangryguy wrote:

nikolo98 wrote:

I was hoping to find something good, like music controls... kudos for the bugfixes, but instead of adding boring watchfaces please include something useful for the next update
Userlevel 3
golozx wrote:

Thehangryguy wrote:

nikolo98 wrote:

I was hoping to find something good, like music controls... kudos for the bugfixes, but instead of adding boring watchfaces please include something useful for the next update

I really don't think they will, I just think there will be bug fixed in the future, the odd watch face, I don't think there will be anything new. That will be for the next watch

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings