Question

P20 PRO .152 & .156 updates

Show first post

125 replies

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 3
Heres the link for how to do it. Courtesy of the xda guys

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/upgrade-to-android-pie-throught-t3884054
Userlevel 3
Its worked. My C782 on O2 UK is now on pie. Using firmware finder app on phone.
Userlevel 4
@Mrtigger84 Citizens Advice is now the main contact for any matters in regards to the Consumers Rights Act - I looked at going to ombudsman and trading standards and was diverted back to CA.
Userlevel 4
You do all realise that using the firmware finder method for updating is not always perfect way to go and if not careful and you cause damage to the phone, you will not be covered by any warranty.
Userlevel 3
I agree walkerx. We shouldn't have to look to other means to update our phones. Its a risk sure, but the firmware that firmware finder highlights is an official firmware for our device so I'm prepared to take the risk. It was a little confusing to begin with but it actually was quite simple in the end, I don't think the device will allow the installation if there is a discrepancy with the firmware details. Each to there own I guess.
Really had enough of this!
Hope the CAB can get some traction on this, maybe even a class action suit.
But for me I'm done with Hauwei, my old pixel is due upgrade in Feb and I'll be going for the Pixel 3xl, even though it'll be with EE (and it's probably EE to blame!)
Userlevel 4
@rockinross I also agree, users should not have to go this route and if Huawei had said no to the networks in first place we wouldn't be in this situation.

It's actually worse for three users as three supplied the dual sim version which is behind on updates compared to the single sim model.

Just make sure your imei number can still be read as someone on xda can no longer read theirs after using this method. And there have been issues in past with others having similar issues. Not sure if it how they done the update or something else.

@Mossy CAB won't do anything about it and nor will network operator which is why I've already switched to Pixel 3 XL and my Huawei devices put in drawer as a backup if needed. Also not sure it is EE to blame for current situation as three and O2 cus in same boat. They all have to agree the update is fine before it gets released.

What is annoying is that the operators now supply the European model for the Mate 20 Pro (I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard) meaning that Huawei do now provide updates monthly on that device and operators have no say.

Just wish they could change the region on the older models when the updates are released so we all get switched to European model.
walkerx wrote:

@Mrtigger84 Citizens Advice is now the main contact for any matters in regards to the Consumers Rights Act - I looked at going to ombudsman and trading standards and was diverted back to CA.

Ombudsman should never refer you to anyone else. They are the be all and end all for any complaint in the industry they govern. As I say it has to go through proper channels though. U must complain to ee first, ask for a formal written final response off them and the complaint reference. Then forward that with as much detail as possible, especially in this case links to the pages on various forums of people complaining about it and the generic responses, to the ombudsman.

As for the non official route to update, Im running it and have been for last couple of days and had no issues, all services are working. And hear its the same for those on the 3 network. Battery life somehow has improved even further. And if you bought your phone outright there shouldn't be any warranty issue as you aren't unlocking the bootloader or rooting, and it's official firmware. If you had warranty via your network then yes they would probably try eveyy trick in the book to void your warranty.
Userlevel 4
Mrtigger84 wrote:

walkerx wrote:

Ombudsman should never refer you to anyone else. They are the be all and end all for any complaint in the industry they govern. As I say it has to go through proper channels though. U must complain to ee first, ask for a formal written final response off them and the complaint reference. Then forward that with as much detail as possible, especially in this case links to the pages on various forums of people complaining about it and the generic responses, to the ombudsman.

As for the non official route to update, Im running it and have been for last couple of days and had no issues, all services are working. And hear its the same for those on the 3 network. Battery life somehow has improved even further. And if you bought your phone outright there shouldn't be any warranty issue as you aren't unlocking the bootloader or rooting, and it's official firmware. If you had warranty via your network then yes they would probably try eveyy trick in the book to void your warranty.

I complained to thee then went to do the ombudsman and when looking for info it said to contact CA over it.

As it's unofficial route and not all the firmware is approved by Huawei for installation as it may still contain bugs r not maybe not complete, so installing these firmwares without being on the beta program may invalidate any warranty you have if you damage your device due to updating in this way.
Be interest to know if any CTL-L09 8.1 C782 UK variant users have received EMUI 9 via official Huawei release yet?

Mine was bought simfree and has no sim installed so not tied to any network, just used as backup camera for professional landscape photography work and with apps which connect via WiFi, not data.

In theory I should get all updates direct from Huawei via internet, therefore with no sim installed I'm not beholding network interference with updates. But this is not happening either for security or OS updates.

Told by @Max P20 Pro C782 would receive EMUI 9 direct from Huawei over internet based on IMEI in batches therefore one assumes their servers do not have sufficient bandwidth to either update security or OS unless supported by networks, so hence my first question, who with a C782 variant has received EMUI 9 from official source and on what network; if any?

Cheers
Userlevel 2
DavidBootneck wrote:

Be interest to know if any CTL-L09 8.1 C782 UK variant users have received EMUI 9 via official Huawei release yet?

Mine was bought simfree and has no sim installed so not tied to any network, just used as backup camera for professional landscape photography work and with apps which connect via WiFi, not data.

In theory I should get all updates direct from Huawei via internet, therefore with no sim installed I'm not beholding network interference with updates. But this is not happening either for security or OS updates.

Told by @Max P20 Pro C782 would receive EMUI 9 direct from Huawei over internet based on IMEI in batches therefore one assumes their servers do not have sufficient bandwidth to either update security or OS unless supported by networks, so hence my first question, who with a C782 variant has received EMUI 9 from official source and on what network; if any?

Cheers

Im CTL-09 C782, and got EMUI 9 about 4 days ago
Got my update 18th Jan for P20 Pro on Three SIM it is now 9.0.0.168(C782xxxxP9)
I have a HUAWEI CTL-L29 8.1.0161(432) purchased online and delivered from Luxembourg so I am guessing it's an EU version. I bought it SIM free but have 3 network SIM my son some 4 weeks ago upgraded to the same phone with 3 and last week his EMUI updated I would like the update to Pie but seems it's not happening for me. Is that due to the fact it's not a UK phone?
Firebrand609 wrote:

I have a HUAWEI CTL-L29 8.1.0161(432) purchased online and delivered from Luxembourg so I am guessing it's an EU version. I bought it SIM free but have 3 network SIM my son some 4 weeks ago upgraded to the same phone with 3 and last week his EMUI updated I would like the update to Pie but seems it's not happening for me. Is that due to the fact it's not a UK phone?

My Phone on Three but it is C782. Not sure Networks restrict if the base model has updates as you can download difrectly from Huawei using WiFi. Some with the knowledge to comment of that possible or not.
Firebrand609 wrote:

Nope ..The update will arrive to your phone shortly.It rolls out in batches.
kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

My Phone on Three but it is C782. Not sure Networks restrict if the base model has updates as you can download difrectly from Huawei using WiFi. Some with the knowledge to comment of that possible or not.

My phone is on Three and it got updated last week.Came through when I manually checked for updates .I then put my WiFi on to download and install it.Huawei mobile UK on Twitter stated all P20 Pro's will be updated by end of January.
They are saying updates for the phones are now running into February as I still start while mid December last year if that helps anybody as long on with them this morning thank you
Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

My phone is on Three and it got updated last week.Came through when I manually checked for updates .I then put my WiFi on to download and install it.Huawei mobile UK on Twitter stated all P20 Pro's will be updated by end of January.

As I stated I am on Three but I bought the phone privately and it is a European model C432 so I don't think the fact Three are rolling out an update would help me.
Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

As I stated I am on Three but I bought the phone privately and it is a European model C432 so I don't think the fact Three are rolling out an update would help me.

Further issues HiCare tells me that there is an update available EMUI9.0.0.196 but when I hit apply it continually tells me failed to submit. Anyone got a solution?
Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Three don't roll out the update Huawei do
Junior1985 wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Further issues HiCare tells me that there is an update available EMUI9.0.0.196 but when I hit apply it continually tells me failed to submit. Anyone got a solution?
Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Make sure you have latest version of hicare 9.1.1. 3.0.3
Junior1985 wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

I do have the latest version 9.1.1. 3.0.3
Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

Junior1985 wrote:

kuru wrote:

Firebrand609 wrote:

ed

I do have the latest version 9.1.1. 3.0.3

Sorted it by hicare settings changed region to united states looked for update and it authorised. Changed back to UK checked update and it allowed a download. Installed all good. Result

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings