Question

2.5gb ram free in mate 20 pro

• 27 March 2019
  • 11 replies

• Fearless Explorer
  • 4 replies
Hi, I just had my huawei mate 20 pro with 6gb version. I only had 2.5gb ~2.7gb free most of the time. I always get 2.5gb or 2.6gb more frequently. Is this normal? Is there anyway to fix it or it is just the problem with EMUI 9. It was indeed quite disappointing without having at least half of 6gb freed(3gb), even my friend's honor view 10 with 6gb ram still constantly having 3gb and above free to use with EMUI 9 running on. Guys, I wanted to know if this is a serious issue and how should I fix it? Do I need to return my phone? 😞

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
My p20 pro always shows about 2.5 GB free ram out of 6gb. Never had any issues with slow down or anything though. So in short your mate 20 pro sounds like its working as it should.
Yup, my phone is very smooth and buttery. Just wanted to know if it is normal to get only 2.5gb free out of 6gb because I thought that it should have 3gb or higher on idle in a 6gb ram device. Thanks alot mate.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @Tam You if your phone is running fine, then I shouldn't worry about it. If you find an issue where you don't have enough memory, you can always force stop some apps you don't use which should free up some memory but not worth the effort if the phone's running OK.

Cheers

Steve
Yup, my phone is running fine. I am just concern about the future proof of this phone. What if the next android update used up more ram, I am worried that with only 2.5gb idle is not enough. I wanted to use this phone for a long term as this phone is quite costly and also a flagship phone. I really don't want to see this phone go through hard times and start lagging in just a short period. Should I be worried about this? Any answer would be appreciated :)

Thank you
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi

Well, it is generally true that as new releases, the apps take up more RAM and storage space, but if you were ok with it as it is, you could disable updates, or if you find a future upgrade steals too much RAM, you could roll back your software to an earlier version.

No phone can be future proof with increasing size of software. There are also methods of 'debloating' which means getting rid of all the junk apps you don't like or use, so you have options for the future.

I suggest now you enjoy your phone and revert to one of the methods above if things get tight.

Cheers

Steve
Cool. Thanks for the advice, Steve 🙂
Hi

Well, it is generally true that as new releases, the apps take up more RAM and storage space, but if you were ok with it as it is, you could disable updates, or if you find a future upgrade steals too much RAM, you could roll back your software to an earlier version.

No phone can be future proof with increasing size of software. There are also methods of 'debloating' which means getting rid of all the junk apps you don't like or use, so you have options for the future.

I suggest now you enjoy your phone and revert to one of the methods above if things get tight.

Cheers

Steve

This is not how it should be though. Newer software should be better optimized for less RAM usage. Especially with Android that uses the garbage collection system and Java, there is much potential for a big improvement in Ram consumption in the future. Fuchsia will certainly use less ram.

On my mate 20 with 4 gb ram I only have 1,8 GB in idle free and switching between apps is not really possible since apps are constantly reloading which is very annoying. This is not acceptable at all, my Windows (!) Intel Atom tablet is much better at multitasking with only 2 GB of total RAM and Windows is much heavier than Android and uses desktop software.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Well I think that you have a good point, but as time goes by, apps offer more features and take more space, so in one way it's inevitable, but on the other hand we are dished out more and more useless apps (bloatware) which are tricky to uninstall.

So what I'm saying is that in part apps grow in size naturally but bloatware is an irritant which can be dealt with.

Now to date myself; my first computer experience was with CP/M. I'm guessing very few on here remember that. The max memory was 64K. Later came the IBM PC with a max of 640K. Everyone was gobsmacked. 10 times the memory - that will never run out will it? Lol.

Now, you can still buy 512K memory cards, but they are expensive as they are antiques! You couldn't fit a single P20 Pro jpeg on it!

Personally I like to extract every last drop of functionality from my devices, so I'm happy to root them and sort out any issues that come along from aging. I certainly don't agree with replacing my device every 6 months or year. Apart from, of course if I see some killer hardware like a whizzy camera!

Food for thought.....

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I just had some more thoughts; Android is by no means new.

Android is a version of Linux and Linux is a version of Unix. Linux is extremely scalable and finds it's way into very tiny devices with hardly any RAM to huge servers.

I took a look at Fuschia and it looks promising, but it will grow in size in time as all operating systems do. People ask for more features which take more RAM and disk space.

Mind you, it would be interesting to see my octa-core P20 Pro running a bare bones OS. I bet it would fly lol.

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Your device should be running smoothly with the available ram.

The software calls on ram dynamically now as and when required for various scenarios.

You should see no impact in using your device.

Certain aspects of the OS will try and use as much Ram as possible until the OS requests it, I think the premise is to keep the device as smooth as possible for the user, while in the back end it's allocating all the time for the best fit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello everyone.

@Tam As the others have suggested, it's very normal for your phone to only have a portion of the available RAM as "free". This has always been the case with all our phones and all the Android phones that I know of at least. It does not mean that the phone will slow down if you install a system update or new apps (especially if you don't plan on using all the apps in the background at the same time). The Mate 20 Pro in particular will run very well with future updates and even if you install a lot of apps.

Each Android build reserves a minimum amount of RAM even when a phone is brand new and no additional apps are installed. This does not reflect the phone's performance in any way.

I hope this clarifies the situation and please let us know if you'll have any other questions.

Best regards,
Max