Sticky F.A.Q.

8 tips on how to use app notifications

• 26 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
If you faced any app notification issues on your phone, take a look at the tips below, that might help you to solve your problems.

Q1: How do I disable the notification in the status bar (app notification, online upgrade, Huawei push service)?When receiving a push notification, first we need to confirm whether the notification is sent by Huawei push service or a third-party app. Touch and hold the notification and the Notifications management screen is displayed. The message source is displayed on the top, and switches on the right can be used to control the display of notifications.

Scenario 1: The phone's status bar constantly displays system upgrade notifications.System upgrades include security patches and some new features, which help achieve some optimization in touch screen, communications, performance, stability, and security for better user experience. If you disable the status bar, notifications for new versions will not be displayed in it. If you do not update your phone for a long time, you may experience problems when trying to install future updates. Therefore, it is not recommended to disable the system update notification.

Solution:To disable the system upgrade notification in the status bar, go to EMUI 8.X: Settings > System > System Update> Update settings; Disable Automatic download via WLAN. If the Automatic update option is available, disable it, too.

Note:After disabling, you may still receive push notifications for system update in the form of a red dot notification if you go to Settings > System Update, which cannot be disabled.

(If you do not want to receive system upgrade notifications, clear the HwOUC folder in the root directory of the internal storage and in the root directory of the microSD card.)

Scenario 2: The phone's status bar constantly displays notifications sent by third-party apps.
Solution: If the message is sent by a third-party push service, it can be disabled in the app.

Q2: How do I enable or disable status bar/banners/ lock screen notifications sent by apps?Go to Settings > Apps & notifications> Notifications management> CNN, enable or disable Display in the status bar/Banners, touch Lock screen notifications and select Don't show notifications at all or Show all notification content.

Q3: What can I do if Notifications turn on screen and Show detailed notification info options are not displayed in the settings?EMUI 8.X Steps:
1)Make sure that you have selected the Magazine unlock screen lock style: Go to Settings > Security & privacy > Screen Lock & passwords > Screen lock style > Magazine unlock and touch APPLY.

2)To enable Notifications turn on screen: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications & status bar and enable Notifications turn on screen. 3)To display all notifications when the device is locked: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications management, touch the three dots icon in the upper right corner, and select Display all notifications in Lock screen notifications.

Q4: What can I do if new messages or notifications do not turn on screen?1) Make sure that you have selected the Magazine unlock screen lock style: Go to Settings > Security & privacy > Screen lock & passwords > Lock screen style > Magazine unlock and touch APPLY.

2) To enable Notifications turn on screen: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications & status bar and enable Notifications turn on screen.

3) To show notifications in lock screen: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications management, touch the three dots icon in the upper right corner, and select Display all notifications in Lock screen notifications.

4) To enable Allow notification and Show on lock screen: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications management and enable Allow notification and Show on lock screen.

Q5: What can I do if app notifications and content are not displayed when the screen is locked?Cause:To prevent frequent app push notifications from affecting your daily use, you need to manually change the settings for notifications to display them on the lock screen.

Solution:
1) The Notifications turn on screen function is available only after Magazine unlock is enabled. Please set Magazine unlock first.

Go to Themes > Custiomise > Magazine unlock to check whether Notifications turn on screen is enabled. After Magazine unlock is set, go to:
EMUI 8.X: Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications & status bar,
Enable Notifications turn on screen.

2) Check whether Lock screen notification is enabled for the app: If Lock screen notifications is not enabled, new messages or notifications of the app will not turn on the screen. Steps:

EMUI 8.X: Settings > Apps & notifications > Notifications management;
Select the app for which you want to disable the Notifications turn on screen feature, enable Allow notifications, and set Display on the lock screen as Display.

Q6: How are app notifications shown when Do not disturb mode is enabled?When Do not disturb mode is enabled, the device does not ring or vibrate and the screen does not turn on when receiving a message or notification, so as to give you a good environment to work or rest.

Q7: What can I do if notifications in the notification bar cannot be cleared by one touch?Problem:The user touches in the notification bar but cannot clear all notifications.

Cause:Notifications in the notification bar are classified into the following categories:

Common notifications: Such as text messages and missed calls.
In-progress notifications: Such as music playback and recorder.
Permanent notifications: Such as notifications sent by sports app like Huawei Health and USB connection notification.

If you touch

in the notification bar you can only clear common notifications. If the notification bar contains only in-progress notifications or permanent notifications,

will not be displayed.

Q8: What can I do if the original settings of the app notification are changed after the phone is upgraded?Problem:
Before the mobile phone is upgraded from EMUI 4.1 to EMUI 5.0, the following notification setting items were enabled by default: Allow notifications, Priority display, Display in the status bar, Banners, Display on the lock screen.
After the upgrade, the items enabled by default are changed to: Display in the status bar, Display on the lock screen.

Solution:
A new storage mechanism is adopted for notification management on the EMUI 5.0. The original settings values are restored to default ones after the upgrade. This is normal and does not indicate a problem with your phone.

After the upgrade, please reset the notification management settings of the app:
Go to
Settings>
Notifications & status bar>
Notifications management, and touch the third-party app you want to set in the list.

Did these methods solve your problem? please let me know. Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments section below.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
I have tried everything - nothing works, my notifications are delayed. I regret spending money on this phone & as soon as I am able to replace it I will joyfully take a hammer to it!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@EmmaSaid , sorry to hear that. What device do you have?
Userlevel 1
@EmmaSaid , sorry to hear that. What device do you have?
I have P10+
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Emma,

Thanks for letting us know. That will make it easier for others to help you.

I also flagged this thread for our support team but it's much quicker to contact them directly if you still need help: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/