Answered

Adverts on lock screen

Why am I getting booking.com adverts on my lock screen?

Based on twitter and Reddit, I'm not the only one.
icon

Best answer by Amy 17 June 2019, 09:10

Hi all,

Thank you for raising this with us. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to your experience. The lock-screen advertisements have been taken down from our servers, as they should not be appearing on lock-screen interfaces.

For the images already downloaded to your phone, you may delete as per following:
  • When the image appears on the screen, slide up from the bottom edge of the screen, the operation toolbar appears. Click on 'delete' and click 'remove' in the confirmation box.
Again sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for sharing this on the community!
View original

22 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Huawei devices do not have advertisements. There are various possible options:

1. You installed an application that is showing these applications on your lock screen. For this one, you need to find which application does this. Usually it's games.
  2. You accepted a notification when visiting a website. In this case, you need to check the permissions given in the browser you use (Chrome for most) and disable the permission given to the sites listed.
The last option is Huawei's AppGallery. To disable notifications from AppGallery, go to AppGallery>Me>Settings>Notifications, and disable this option.

Absolutely didn't.... And it'd be a bit of a coincidence if the others on Twitter/Reddit who all own Huawei phones had installed the same app / allowed the same notifications on the same day?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/comments/bzrpks/advertisement_in_locked_screen/

Same here. Suddenly out of nowhere just started today. Very annoying!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Alright I see the ads in my Magazine too.

Well I guess now Huawei phones do come with ads😪 some idiot at Huawei messed up.

On the lockscreen, swipe up from the bottom, tap on the trashcan, and accept removing the cover.

Then, go to Settings>Home screen & wallpaper>Magazine unlock>Disable Magazine unlock. That will stop the application from downloading new covers.
Well this has answered my questions of :
  1. Its not a 'Rogue' app that is on my phone.
  2. It is Huawei problem.
Follow ups being.
  1. This is really not acceptable.
  2. Its probably pushed me closer to getting a OnePlus instead of another Huawei device.
  • Thanks for snaven and DRSC Media for creating this thread and finding the answers.
This is not acceptable!

I think I removed it by deselecting "Huawei featured"

Settings > Home screen & wallpaper > Magazine unlock > Huawei featured (deselect).
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I don't have the Huawei featured option selected and still receive the adverts.
I'm experiencing the same!! Try to reach support but they say that is due to an app and that I need to do a full complicated cache clean up that will remove all the info from my apps. I have a lot of information on my apps I don't want to delete it all when is not even related with the issue.

Really need help here!
This is a complete no-go and not acceptable.
I'm getting these advertisements too, here in Germany.
HOW TO FIX:

settings>home screen & wallpaper>magazine unlock = toggle off

Magazine unlock is a Huawei feature and they can do what they please with it, including advertise on it. The contention point is yes Huawei can advertise what they wish on their platform but they shouldn't be advertising businesses on other people's personal devices without their knowledge or consent. THAT is where they are crossing the line.

I bought a P30 Pro on the day Trump banned Huawei as I was looking for a new top line phone and I always like to support the underdog.
Now the greedy people there start selling advertising on MY PHONE after I've paid £895 for it.

This is disgraceful behaviour.

Huawei can lie all they like about it not being them, but the fact that I'm getting booking.com ads on my lock screen in Spain, the same as other people around the world, just shows the contempt and disloyalty they have for their customers.
I had this on my Mate 20 Pro, you can remove them by tapping and hitting the bin at the bottom. They also appear when launching the Themes app. Theres also other ads when launching the Huawei AppGallery

I have sold my P20 pro off 20 minutes after seeing the first ads as this was way too much bull from Huawei at this stage. The user experience is so bad now and so unpopular that I literally got some small change for a phone in perfect condition and all the accessories including the box bit that's fine. I bought a pixel 2xl and Jesus Christ I feel so much better about using a mobile phone 🤣
I suggest you guys get rid of your devices as soon as you can just think what sort of things they'll put in their own custom OS!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Thanks but no thanks. Sure, the ads on my 1K+€ device did annoy me, but they were easy to delete and disabling Magazine isn't too hard. I do hope they won't do this again, but oh well.

I would rather continue using a device from the current leading smartphone manufacturer with all the novelties included & the best camera currently available for smartphones, than getting some Google Pixel device, that not only doesn't look good, but also makes me closer to that company that already tracks every single one of my movements online.

I'll take their custom OS over Android anyday, regardless of how broken it is. Won't matter much compared to how bad stock Android is and all the issues present in Windows 10😂.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I have sold my P20 pro off 20 minutes after seeing the first ads as this was way too much bull from Huawei at this stage. The user experience is so bad now and so unpopular that I literally got some small change for a phone in perfect condition and all the accessories including the box bit that's fine. I bought a pixel 2xl and Jesus Christ I feel so much better about using a mobile phone 🤣
I suggest you guys get rid of your devices as soon as you can just think what sort of things they'll put in their own custom OS!

That's a bit extreme to sell your phone only after 20 minutes when you could have researched the issue a little and realised you could have easily fixed it or wait until Huawei fixed it which they now have.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@DRSC Media nothing wrong with the pixel phones and the camera works perfectly in fact I prefer it to my P20 Pro

As someone who used to work in a Huawei Service Centre we can see how biased you are towards Huawei devices compared to other manufacturers.

For me I rather have a phone from manufacturer that gets updated regularly unlike Huawei devices.

That's a bit extreme to sell your phone only after 20 minutes when you could have researched the issue a little and realised you could have easily fixed it or wait until Huawei fixed it which they now have.

To be honest this phone was doing my head in since I've unboxed it..loooong wait for the updates, bloatware...all the time I've had it o was saving for something else than Huawei. Only went for pixel 2xl as there is a little difference between pixel 3 speck wise bit the price drop was massive
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Jake you'll get updates for 4 years and on monthly basis, which you can't get with Huawei, we lucky if we get an update every 3 months.

My Pixel C tablet from 2015 is on the latest June 2019 security update from Google, my Huawei devices are last year for watches and march 2019 for mobile devices.

With Huawei and getting adverts on their apps, what will happen with their own OS? Some same it will be better, but I doubt it, you still won't get security updates or bug fixes in timely manner.
@Jake you'll get updates for 4 years and on monthly basis, which you can't get with Huawei, we lucky if we get an update every 3 months.

My Pixel C tablet from 2015 is on the latest June 2019 security update from Google, my Huawei devices are last year for watches and march 2019 for mobile devices.

With Huawei and getting adverts on their apps, what will happen with their own OS? Some same it will be better, but I doubt it, you still won't get security updates or bug fixes in timely manner.

I know I owned every single nexus device and the first pixel.
Than Huawei p20pro came out and I thought I'll give it a go as the hardware was really good massive potential there however the retarded software had ruined the whole experience
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Jake same had Nexus 4 and 6, then original pixel xl, now got the pixel 3 XL

I tried the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and P20 Pro and feel let down with the updates and support so reason I went back to Google and got the 3 XL.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

Thank you for raising this with us. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to your experience. The lock-screen advertisements have been taken down from our servers, as they should not be appearing on lock-screen interfaces.

For the images already downloaded to your phone, you may delete as per following:
  • When the image appears on the screen, slide up from the bottom edge of the screen, the operation toolbar appears. Click on 'delete' and click 'remove' in the confirmation box.
Again sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for sharing this on the community!