Question

EMUI 9 Update has introduced audio clipping / stuttering on Sony WH-1000XM3 (LDAC)

• 25 January 2019
  • 22 replies

My P20 Pro (C782) finally prompted me to updated to Pie today, but having done so I'm experiencing choppy / clipping / stuttering audio when connected to my Sony WH-1000XM3's (using LDAC codec). This wasn't happening on Oreo at all.

I've done a factory reset, but the issue persists. Happens throughout whatever's playing (Spotify, Tidal, PocketCasts, YouTube) and is especially noticeable when pressing the power button to activate the screen.

If I drop the codec down to anything less than LDAC, these issues don't manifest, but I want to continue using the best codec for the headphones (as I have since November, without issue.

Any ideas?

22 replies

same problem here very frustrating needs sorting asap.
As above worked fine in oreo but since EMUI 9 update which is excellent by the way like having a new phone the Ldac via bluetooth is stuttering and not useable.

please find a fix thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear about the issue that you are having. Could you please PM me the serial numbers of your devices so I can check this further.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best wishes,
Max
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear about the issue that you are having. Could you please PM me the serial numbers of your devices so I can check this further.

Best wishes,
Max

Hi Max, done. Also worth noting this...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/help/bluetooth-issues-android-pie-clt-l29-t3889110

Hello,

Best wishes,
Max
Hi Max, done. Also worth noting this...https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20-pro/help/bluetooth-issues-android-pie-clt-l29-t3889110

can you let me know if max solves it, i have tried cache reset, reset all settings. Didnt work..

i dont want to have to back up and reset phone if i can help it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Achilles,

As suggested for @GapsOfTheGod, I would also recommend for you to perform a factory reset of the device.

You can find the steps on how to do this here .

This seemed to have resolved his problem!

Let us know if it did the trick for you as well! 😀

Best wishes,
Max
Ok, so the same issues have re-emerge since factory resetting my P20 Pro. This is therefore still an issue and needs attention from Huawei.

Please advise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @GapsOfTheGod,

Very sorry to hear the issue has reoccurred.

As you've already provided us with the information in private we will go ahead and forward the details to the appropriate departments for this to be inspected.

Keep us updated with the current situation if anything chances, and we will do the same!

Best wishes,
Max
Hi Max, any update on this please? It's really ruining my enjoyment of my Sony WH-1000XM3's, and brining me to the point of considering switching brands.
@Max, any update please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @GapsOfTheGod,

The issue is still being investigated.

Please wait and a reply will be provided soon.

Best wishes,
Max
Hello,
Just got a p20 pro, wish I would have seen this before..
Same issue with Ldac.
Weirdly enough aptx seems OK with another speaker. Hoping this will be fixed quickly...
Just switched from iPhone to the Mate 20 Pro. Any Bluetooth audio has moments where it briefly cuts audio for 1-2 seconds. This happens with my Bluetooth headphones and my motorcycle Bluetooth intercom.
Hi @GapsOfTheGod,

The issue is still being investigated.

Please wait and a reply will be provided soon.

Best wishes,
Max

Hi Max, what's your definition of 'soon'? It's been more than 2 months now.
Good luck getting them to fix anything related to LDAC. I ended up binning them and changing brand purely for working LDAC although to be fair that was tablet and not phone. Just not interested it would seem.....
I think I have found a partial fix for this. I got the headphones today, and been trying to fix this issue. The headphones works perfectly on my S7 Edge, which made me realize it wasnt a faulty set of headphones, but rather the phone p20 pro, where I often get a tiny stutter.

So the reason I say partial fix, is because I cant get it to do 990kbps/909kbps. But the phone defaults to this, if you have it set to 'priority on sound quality'.

However if you enable developer options on your phone (google how to do it, very easy), then you can force it to go over to

system/developer options/ and under Networking here, under bluetooth audio LDAC playback setting, you can tell it to use 660 kbps/606kbps.

This option is still way better than SBC, which it defaults to if you chose priority on stable connection. It will keep the LDAC codec, and now switch to 660, which is what many other phones do as well (some defaults to even lower if you dont manually do this).

I hope this was some help. I felt like I had to register after seeing you with the same problem, and hope it helps you guys.

Would be nice if Huawei could bother just fixing it themselves of course, but hey.... Seems like they arent bothered.
@Max@GapsOfTheGod@Jhalfhide@Limp15000@Achilles tagging you so you might see this.
@Max@GapsOfTheGod@Jhalfhide@Limp15000@Achilles tagging you so you might see this.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I had already discovered that lowering the bitrate setting sorted out the issues, however it's galling that full bitrate LDAC was working brilliantly on Android 8.

Your right about Huawei though. It doesn't seem as though fixing this is anywhere on their radar.

It's a Samsung for me next I think!

Thank you again!
Ah alright.

Certainly agree with the last part, never buying huaweii again, with the way they are responding to this. Or rather, how they are not responding to this. Terrible.
Lucky you even have LDAC, despite it being part of stock Android, Huawei appears to have removed it from my mediapad MY, running Android 9.

Why they decide what they want to remove, I really don't understand. I won't be buying Huawei again.
Hi all
Some really useful info on here. I am having the same issues with JBL headphones. Stuttering to the point of unusable, especially worse when the screen is in sleep mode. It's not the headphones, tried on several other devices. I've enabled developer mode, but the Bluetooth options you talk about above are greyed out on my screen. Any ideas?
Thanks
Hi all
Some really useful info on here. I am having the same issues with JBL headphones. Stuttering to the point of unusable, especially worse when the screen is in sleep mode. It's not the headphones, tried on several other devices. I've enabled developer mode, but the Bluetooth options you talk about above are greyed out on my screen. Any ideas?
Thanks

I have the same problem with my Mediapad M5 8. The LDAC options in the developer options are greyed out. Do I need to connect and LDAC DAC to ungrey them or has Huawei not unlocked the LDAC function?

My tablet is up to date and it should have LDAC available. From what I understand LDAC is the best bluetooth codec available for sound quality. It was gifted by Sony to be a standard feature of Android.

Hi all
Thanks
I have the same problem with my Mediapad M5 8. The LDAC options in the developer options are greyed out. Do I need to connect and LDAC DAC to ungrey them or has Huawei not unlocked the LDAC function?

My tablet is up to date and it should have LDAC available. From what I understand LDAC is the best bluetooth codec available for sound quality. It was gifted by Sony to be a standard feature of Android.

I connected my Mediapad to an Aptx DAC - Soundblaster E5 - and the codec options ungrey in developer options for Aptx but enable other codecs is still greyed out