Answered

Fingerprint identification FAQ

• 14 September 2018
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 2391 replies
Are you having fingerprint identification problems? Try the solutions below and let us what solution solved your problem.
icon

Best answer by Amy 14 September 2018, 09:17

Fingerprint recognition problems
Here is a short list of solutions you can try in order for the fingerprint sensor to work properly:
  • The fingerprint sensor might not work when you touch the sensor while charging your phone with a third-party charger. Use the charger that came with your phone to ensure that the sensor works properly while your phone is charging.
  • Keep your fingers clean to ensure that the fingerprint sensor can recognize your fingerprint. It won't work if there is dirt or grease on the fingerprint sensor.
  • Apply more pressure during cold weather. If the fingerprint sensor still fails to recognize your fingerprint, try blowing onto your fingers, or washing your hands and then wiping them dry.
  • Try using another finger and prevent your skin from becoming too dry, as this may affect recognition accuracy. Make sure you don't place your fingernail on the fingerprint sensor, instead of your finger.
  • Remove, then re-add your fingerprint, ensuring that you record different parts of your finger to improve recognition accuracy. Ensure that your finger covers as much of the fingerprint sensor as possible.

Software issues
Go to Settings > System update > Check for updates. See if there is an update available for your phone. If updates are available, install them. If you can still not add a fingerprint after installing updates, back up your data, restore factory settings and try again.

Hardware issues
If the fingerprint sensor was subjected to excessive force or struck by a sharp object, it may be damaged. Also, static electricity can cause the fingerprint recognition software to malfunction. If adding a fingerprint repeatedly fails, restart your phone and try again. If it is still not working or if there is still no fingerprint ID option in the settings menu, back up your data and contact us for assistance.

Still having fingerprint issues? Please leave a comment so we can help!
View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Fingerprint recognition problems
Here is a short list of solutions you can try in order for the fingerprint sensor to work properly:
  • The fingerprint sensor might not work when you touch the sensor while charging your phone with a third-party charger. Use the charger that came with your phone to ensure that the sensor works properly while your phone is charging.
  • Keep your fingers clean to ensure that the fingerprint sensor can recognize your fingerprint. It won't work if there is dirt or grease on the fingerprint sensor.
  • Apply more pressure during cold weather. If the fingerprint sensor still fails to recognize your fingerprint, try blowing onto your fingers, or washing your hands and then wiping them dry.
  • Try using another finger and prevent your skin from becoming too dry, as this may affect recognition accuracy. Make sure you don't place your fingernail on the fingerprint sensor, instead of your finger.
  • Remove, then re-add your fingerprint, ensuring that you record different parts of your finger to improve recognition accuracy. Ensure that your finger covers as much of the fingerprint sensor as possible.

Software issues
Go to Settings > System update > Check for updates. See if there is an update available for your phone. If updates are available, install them. If you can still not add a fingerprint after installing updates, back up your data, restore factory settings and try again.

Hardware issues
If the fingerprint sensor was subjected to excessive force or struck by a sharp object, it may be damaged. Also, static electricity can cause the fingerprint recognition software to malfunction. If adding a fingerprint repeatedly fails, restart your phone and try again. If it is still not working or if there is still no fingerprint ID option in the settings menu, back up your data and contact us for assistance.

Still having fingerprint issues? Please leave a comment so we can help!
Hello, a few weeks ago the finger print scannerstopped working - and all options relating to it disappeared from the settings screens. Even when I factory reset the only 2 options I get are password/pin etc and face unlock, no finger print.
What can i do? I think its hardware issue, and its not fixable
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Aiste,

Welcome on the community! Unfortunate to hear that your fingerprint identification stopped working. 😞 Could please let us know what kind of device you are using?
Huawei p20 pro 😔
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Aiste,

Sorry to hear the situation, if you can pm me with the private details of the phone I will do my best to assist you further.

Best wishes,
Max
Ok, pm you 🙂
Hi, I have an issue with the navigation button/fingerprint reader on my P20 Pro.
It was working fine and recently just stoped. I tried restarting and factory resetting and it still doesn't work. The fingerprint ID option is available in the system settings but when i try to read the fingerprint its not responding.
Its also not working as a navigation button.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Marius,

Sorry to hear of the situation of your device.

In this case I would recommend having the device inspected by one of our engineers at the service center for a more hands-on approach.
For the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Or if you would like I can also facilitate this for you via PM.

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
When I bought my Honor 8 I loved the fine print sensor. It is excrement relâche and the screen print function triggered by a double tap makes it even better. Is anyone else finding the relocation of this to the front just below the annoying soft key, and it's dramatic reduction in size, on the Honor 10 causes a number of problems? I find that the sensor is now much more proned to failure in recognising my finger printn in fact I can only get it to work if I lay the phone flat and keep my finger almost horizontal and eben then the success rate is less than 50%. The inevitable consequence is regular triggering of the really annoying and poorly named ' Google Assistant'. In addition the screen print has become impossible for me without dragging down the smart menu to expost the screen print icon. This operation is also regularly hampered by the really annoying HiSearch Notice which alerts to be impossible to remove and I have no intention of accepting the terms giving it access to all my personal data.
The phone im using is an honor 10. The finger print sensor works about 30% of the times I try to use it and only when I place the phone on a flat surface and place my finger on the sensor so it is near horizontal. My honor 8 sensor works fine probably about a 98% success rate. I put this poor performance on the honor 10 down to the movement of the sensor to the front of the phone close to the proximity of the other controls on the screen and its drastic reduction in size which makes it more difficult to use. It's just a really poor and un ergonomic design.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @araveug,

Happy to hear that you are using one of our devices!

In regards to your inquiry, we would recommend the following steps below:
1.Reset the fingerprint on your Honor 10 device and re-add it again. It might just be that it was scanned incorrectly and re-scan would be a quick, easy fix!
2.Clear the cache partition of your device through the recovery menu.

Additionally: you could try and perform a factory reset of your Honor 10 device. Introduce the fingerprint before installing any applications and see if it will behave correctly.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us! 😀
Max
Thanks everyone for the info but I don't think it's a problem with the set up. In my opinion the sensor is rubbish. It took ages to register my two index fingerprints and failed to read either of them on a large number of attempts. This didn't happen on the old much larger sensor on the Honor 8. It is my opinion that the location of the sensor on the Honor 10 makes it harder to use. I keep turning on the pointless and irritating Google assistant when trying to place my finger on the sensor. I now know there is no point trying to use that when I am holding the phone because it just doesn't work. I've now reverted to using the face detection of password security unless the phone is lying flat on a desk. In those cases I carefully manoeuvre my finger into position and I can achieve about a 50-60% success rate. The biggest irritation with the change of the sensor between these two models is that I can no longer pick up the phone and unlock it without messing about with passwords and I can no longer easily do screen prints because the double tap isn't possible now. I've tried all the dragging and tapping gestures recommended on the internet and none work for me. In fact the only way I can do a screenshot with success is to drag down the quick menu and touch the screenshot key. However, I've had to put a new launcher on the phone to stop the irritating Hisearch Ts & Cs popping up every time I try this. I've no idea why there isn't an accept or decline button that forgets about this service if you decline. It gets in the way of all the other gestures at the top of the screen. I'm not going to do a reset as it's taken ages to get it usable. I think I'll either go back to the Honor 8 or switch brands if I can't live with it. I'm just really glad I didn't buy it on a three year contract because it isn't as good as my last phone. that had dual sim bays a larger sensor and even SDcard expansion. the only improvement on on the 10 is the camera, but I have much better digital cameras so that's not why I have a phone.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi I have the mate 20 pro.. I just deleted all of my enrolled prints and then tried to re add them.. I had success with left thumb and index and right index. But for some reason it won't allow me to enroll my right thumb..
It says print already enrolled.
And when I look at the section of finger print list it says 3/5. But it's only displaying 3.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Barks,

In regards to your inquiry, I would recommend resetting all settings of your device.
You can do this by going to Settings > System > Reset > Reset all Settings.

Let us know of the outcome! 😀

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 2
Badge
Reset all settings didn't work.. Had to do a full factory reset unfortunately
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Reset all settings didn't work.. Had to do a full factory reset unfortunately

Hey Barks,

And did the full reset solved the issue?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes that solved the problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Barks,

Happy to hear that a full reset solved the situation in the end!

Cheers,
Max
Hi,

I've an issue with unlocking my phone.

I've set facial unlock so that I don't need to swipe.
However when I use fingerprint, which I prefer, it keeps asking me to swipe following facial recognition.

I've tried adding fingerprint again. I've washed my hands, drunk plenty of water, wiped the screen, and I really don't want to have to do a factory reset.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks
I guess not. Though someone in XDA Developers has. No response or resolution there either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Gorby,

I'm sorry to see that you didn't have a response from other community users or our support team. I nudged the support team and asked to reply to you asap. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @Gorby Mudrock,

We're sorry that it keeps happening after all the troubleshooting you've done.

We understand that you would not like to factory reset the phone. Nobody wants to lose their data from the phone. That's why we developed HiSuite. You can use HiSuite to backup all of your data, so you won't have to lose anything and you can comfortably go ahead with the factory reset.

Here's a link you can download it from: consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/

Also, some help with the factory reset: https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-a-question-faq-s-3/having-problems-with-your-device-try-to-reset-your-phone-1205

I hope this will help!

Kind regards,
Max
Hi,
phone is P20 pro.
First off, the fingerprint sensor stopped working (phone not updated, or dropped or anything like that). I tried deleting prints and creating again but the sensor is not taking the prints, it buzzes once and shows a partial print and goes no further.

Then a day later ago I noticed that when calls were coming in, the usual phone display - (red green answer hang up buttons) did not appear, instead as the phone rang it showed the unlock keypad screen.
so during an incoming call, the sequence is as follows:
  1. phone rings, i try to unlock as fast as possible using face ID
  2. phone then unlocks but i still cant see the answer button screen
  3. i then notice at the top of the screen the scrolling banner saying "touch to return call"
  4. I press the top banner and it briefly expands down but then retracts.
I then gave up trying to answer calls. I have done every reset possible:
  1. full cache clear
  2. full wipe, factory reset about 5 times
  3. many reboots
  4. got some new dialler apps off the playstore, set them as default phone apps but same behaviour
is the call issue coming from the broken fingerprint sensor? the phone is pretty useless for calls now. Urgent help needed! I have used iPhones forever, and have all worked fine. I have recently went to my first android with Huawei and its a disaster.

please help.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @roosman , I've moved your post here as this topic covers the fingerprint issues. Hopefully this will help. If not, you might need the device inspected by one of our engineers, for the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
P30 pro fingerprints failing to enrol.

I've done everything imaginable - reset, update, factory reset etc.

I've even ordered a replacement. Well, the replacement has exactly the same problem.

Whenever you try to register fingerprints it lights up a bit then gives that message.