Answered

Freebud 2 Pro Firmware Update wont install

I have recently purchased a P30 Pro and decided to import some freebud 2 pro's from china. Since getting the freebuds I have been unable to update the firmware. I have tried factory resetting the buds and cleared the cache in my Bluetooth app with no success. The installation jumps straight to 19%, slowly climbs to 49% then freezes. "Firmware transfer failed. Place the earphones in the charging case and close the lid"

I know some threads say to try updating on another device but unfortunately I only have apple products and older andoid phones at my disposal which do not have the option to update the firmware.

The freebuds app also does not appear to support the freebuds 2 pro's as the app cannot detect them.

Anybody else had or having a similar issue?

The current firmware on the buds is 1.0.0.131 with the latest update being 1.0.0.137 which supposedly contains a much needed Bluetooth connectivity and sound quality fix.
icon

Best answer by Astralocean 15 May 2019, 21:03

After many attempts I finally solved the problem.

Step 1: Unpair Freebuds
Step 2: Turn off Bluetooth
Step 3: Force stop Bluetooth app and clear cache
Step 4: IMPORTANT: Factory reset the freebud pro 2's. Note: continue to hold the reset button after the multiple red lights until the charge indicator light begins to flash.
Step 5: Open case and leave fore several minutes, Close lid and again leave for several minutes.
Step 6: Turn on Bluetooth and pair the Freebuds
Step 7: Go directly to the firmware update (Change no other settings)

After losts of trial and error (50+ attempts) the firmware finally updated. Hope this helps anybody else having this issue.
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Astralocean,

Welcome on the community! I will tag some Feebud 2 Pro users:

@Johnytlb3 @eminogrande @e42d @olenorman @safaalz any advice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Astralocean, welcome to the community!

We're sorry about the inconvenience!

The Freebuds 2 Pro has not yet been released in the UK. That might be the reason why you couldn't update it, or could not use the app properly.

As your device was originally manufactured for devices in a different market region, you might experience incompatibility issues.

Unfortunately these can not be aided. We'd suggest waiting to see if the Freebuds 2 Pro gets released in the UK. Maybe then, you could update it properly.

As long as you're not experiencing major issues with it, apart from missing some auxiliary functions, there's no need to worry. You can still use it with your phone.

I hope this answers your question!
After many attempts I finally solved the problem.

Step 1: Unpair Freebuds
Step 2: Turn off Bluetooth
Step 3: Force stop Bluetooth app and clear cache
Step 4: IMPORTANT: Factory reset the freebud pro 2's. Note: continue to hold the reset button after the multiple red lights until the charge indicator light begins to flash.
Step 5: Open case and leave fore several minutes, Close lid and again leave for several minutes.
Step 6: Turn on Bluetooth and pair the Freebuds
Step 7: Go directly to the firmware update (Change no other settings)

After losts of trial and error (50+ attempts) the firmware finally updated. Hope this helps anybody else having this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thank you for sharing @Astralocean!
Wow - thanks Astralocean - great work!

After following your instructions I updated my new Freebuds Pro 2 on the first attempt!!

Prior to reading your instructions I had tried and failed twice, before Googling and arriving at this post.

Thanks again - made my day.
HI, i tried to reconnect my Freebuds 2. After I do a factory reset i cant find the Buds to connect it with bluetooth. Has anyone an idea?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @BNDCT,

Sorry for the lack of replies in this thread. Do you still need help? Please reach out to our official support channels if so, as it seems that the community does not have an answer to your question. https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Unfortunately, this method only seems to work with the 131 to 137 firmware update. I have just tried the method I had originally posted for the new 137 to 139 update and once again reach 49% followed by a failed update message.

Looking at the number of people who have visited this thread in the last few months its clear Huawei need to sort this issue out. I am aware they are not released outside of China, but given the fact that the android operating systems are able to perform the update suggests they are developing updates for android or that software plays no part in the update at all. It would be interesting to see if this issue is common in the Chinese marketplace.

My FreeBuds 2 Pro are running on 1.0.0.103 and when I look for updates it says no updates, you are running the latest version...

Does anyone knows why I don't get the latest firmware version update?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Woudstraatje - if you have questions about updates, we recommend you call the local hotline as they can provide this information. Local numbers available below:

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/contact-us/