Answered

How can I unlock bootloader

• 26 August 2018
  • 80 replies

Show first post

80 replies

Userlevel 3

Google has officially announced that it has suspended huawei from using the android open source ,so there is no possibility for huawei devices receiving latest android updates
But there are custom roms available for those devices and to install that we need to unlock the bootloader of the device but huawei has terminated the support for send those codes which is required to unlock the bootloader and the alternatives available ask money for doing it so why not start to send the bootloader unlock codes to the users again?
we have pay for the phone and then pay more for getting the phone unlocked to a third party?
Actually, Google is unable to suspend anyone from using Open Source - rather Google has said it will no longer work with Huawei to provide access to it's (as in Google's) features - which are far from Open Source.

Lineage OS is a truly Open Source Android Platform ROM, that doesn't come with any of the Google Bloat - and it would be reasonably straightforward for a group of developers - and I'm happy to help with this task - to make a ROM available for the more current Kirin SoC devices from Huawei - both the high-end as well as the mid-to-low end devices from Honor (a Huawei brand).

Remember, all google does is put it's own "sugar" on Android and sell that as "Stock Android" labeled as "Pixel Android" or "Android One" or "Android Go" - but it's in reality Google's take on Android - and truly stock is non-Googled - though in all fairness Google (and Microsoft, and any other competant developer - including myself and many others) contribute back into the Android Open Source Project.

As a result - I agree totally with you @dedmeat here that Huawei should immediately allow users to unlock their bootloader and thereby open the door for us to de-Google ourselves and actually use a truly Open Source Mobile Operating system that isn't tracking every single breath you take - unless you actually want that.

Peace and #WeStandWithHuawei

There already are Lineage and various other AOSP based ROMs available for recent Huaweis. But you need an unlocked bootloader to run them. So either your device shipped with EMUI < 9 or 9.1, or you were one of the lucky few to get a code before they closed it down last summer, on a 9 device (I got one for my P20 Pro).

Let's be real, Huawei are against open standards .. they don't even release correct kernel sources for their Android phones, which violates the GPL, and is in fact one of the major concerns with regard to security. Whilst various culprits have failed to provide kernel sources either at all or in a timely fashion, few to my knowledge have actually released kernel sources which the devices don't use (Huawei have).

But given the situation, you'd think they'd be very keen to at least offer bootloader unlocks, to stem the tide of their devices flooding the market at fire sale prices.
This is exactly the reason why i am not buying anything from huawei ever again

Sorry but if people unlock their phone they probably know what they are doing and that there are risks,
if you dont know what unlocking your phone means then you shouldn't do it, its the user's mistake if anything goes wrong... Huawei, if you read this, please give the codes again, because users should be able to 100% customize their phones, even if there are risks.

Until this is fixed i will not use my huawei anymore and i will recommend my friends to not buy any kind of huawei

Thanks in advance,
Misha Opstal
Userlevel 1

Google has officially announced that it has suspended huawei from using the android open source ,so there is no possibility for huawei devices receiving latest android updates
But there are custom roms available for those devices and to install that we need to unlock the bootloader of the device but huawei has terminated the support for send those codes which is required to unlock the bootloader and the alternatives available ask money for doing it so why not start to send the bootloader unlock codes to the users again?
we have pay for the phone and then pay more for getting the phone unlocked to a third party?
Actually, Google is unable to suspend anyone from using Open Source - rather Google has said it will no longer work with Huawei to provide access to it's (as in Google's) features - which are far from Open Source.

Lineage OS is a truly Open Source Android Platform ROM, that doesn't come with any of the Google Bloat - and it would be reasonably straightforward for a group of developers - and I'm happy to help with this task - to make a ROM available for the more current Kirin SoC devices from Huawei - both the high-end as well as the mid-to-low end devices from Honor (a Huawei brand).

Remember, all google does is put it's own "sugar" on Android and sell that as "Stock Android" labeled as "Pixel Android" or "Android One" or "Android Go" - but it's in reality Google's take on Android - and truly stock is non-Googled - though in all fairness Google (and Microsoft, and any other competant developer - including myself and many others) contribute back into the Android Open Source Project.

As a result - I agree totally with you @dedmeat here that Huawei should immediately allow users to unlock their bootloader and thereby open the door for us to de-Google ourselves and actually use a truly Open Source Mobile Operating system that isn't tracking every single breath you take - unless you actually want that.

There already are Lineage and various other AOSP based ROMs available for recent Huaweis. But you need an unlocked bootloader to run them. So either your device shipped with EMUI < 9 or 9.1, or you were one of the lucky few to get a code before they closed it down last summer, on a 9 device (I got one for my P20 Pro).

Let's be real, Huawei are against open standards .. they don't even release correct kernel sources for their Android phones, which violates the GPL, and is in fact one of the major concerns with regard to security. Whilst various culprits have failed to provide kernel sources either at all or in a timely fashion, few to my knowledge have actually released kernel sources which the devices don't use (Huawei have).

But given the situation, you'd think they'd be very keen to at least offer bootloader unlocks, to stem the tide of their devices flooding the market at fire sale prices.

Quite.

I hope that Huawei rises to this challenge, and I'm very hopeful they will. From what I understand they have an alternative Android based (loosely - though App compatible) OS that is in the works (how far along is unknown at this time - but early images and videos seem to be promising).

However, with the fact that engineering a new OS is not a simple task, and while Huawei have excellent R&D resources, it still takes time - I feel it would be in Huawei's best interests (and those of China and any other country for that matter), to leverage Open Source, and work with the community.

The beauty of Open Source is that it can totally ignore and indeed circumvent retarded government policies and games such as those of Mr Trump and others who have no love for technology, but rather worship the dollar, and want absolute power (on account of which clearly they are absolutely corrupt - but that's another discussion for another day).

It would be wonderful, if we could get some feed back from a member of Huawei - a senior member - as I'm sure they are monitoring (or at least being kept appraised of the discussions here on these forums).

After all, when all is said and done, there are tens of millions of users of Huawei products globally - and that's just on the consumer side - on the enterprise side the figures are also massive. Huawei need to work with those who are with them - who have invested in them - spending close to 1000GBP on a mobile device (or anything for that matter) is a significant investment, and requires a show of good faith from the vendor.

Sadly, Huawei has been the victim of bad faith on the part of the US Admin and various US organisations - such as Google and Co, and also non-US entities such as ARM whose behavior is frankly despicable in this situation, but this is the power of global geopolitics and as it is well known the Western Capitalist system is inherently corrupt to the core, and Mr Trump merely exposes that acute corruption.

Huawei, at least talk to the community - we've had a number of posts here - and elsewhere across the internet about this - many people have shown great faith in Huawei, I feel it would be appropriate and indeed honorable for Huawei to at the very least talk to the consumers herein.

Come on Huawei, prove everyone wrong, prove those who say that you are but an arm of the Chinese Government (as Google is an arm of the US government), prove to those who have shown faith in you and stood by your products - even when there are others who are selling Huawei devices of as has been said like it's a "fire sale".

We've shown faith in you - please, you now need to show your faith in us.

Peace.

Quite.

I hope that Huawei rises to this challenge, and I'm very hopeful they will. From what I understand they have an alternative Android based (loosely - though App compatible) OS that is in the works (how far along is unknown at this time - but early images and videos seem to be promising).

However, with the fact that engineering a new OS is not a simple task, and while Huawei have excellent R&D resources, it still takes time - I feel it would be in Huawei's best interests (and those of China and any other country for that matter), to leverage Open Source, and work with the community.

The beauty of Open Source is that it can totally ignore and indeed circumvent retarded government policies and games such as those of Mr Trump and others who have no love for technology, but rather worship the dollar, and want absolute power (on account of which clearly they are absolutely corrupt - but that's another discussion for another day).

It would be wonderful, if we could get some feed back from a member of Huawei - a senior member - as I'm sure they are monitoring (or at least being kept appraised of the discussions here on these forums).

After all, when all is said and done, there are tens of millions of users of Huawei products globally - and that's just on the consumer side - on the enterprise side the figures are also massive. Huawei need to work with those who are with them - who have invested in them - spending close to 1000GBP on a mobile device (or anything for that matter) is a significant investment, and requires a show of good faith from the vendor.

Sadly, Huawei has been the victim of bad faith on the part of the US Admin and various US organisations - such as Google and Co, and also non-US entities such as ARM whose behavior is frankly despicable in this situation, but this is the power of global geopolitics and as it is well known the Western Capitalist system is inherently corrupt to the core, and Mr Trump merely exposes that acute corruption.

Huawei, at least talk to the community - we've had a number of posts here - and elsewhere across the internet about this - many people have shown great faith in Huawei, I feel it would be appropriate and indeed honorable for Huawei to at the very least talk to the consumers herein.

Come on Huawei, prove everyone wrong, prove those who say that you are but an arm of the Chinese Government (as Google is an arm of the US government), prove to those who have shown faith in you and stood by your products - even when there are others who are selling Huawei devices of as has been said like it's a "fire sale".

We've shown faith in you - please, you now need to show your faith in us.

Peace.

What I don't understand is why Huawei won't allow people to do what they want with their device and if I ask them why their response is "because it can cause many problems like freeze" and other things and they are forcing users to use the ROM they provide rather than let people decide it
They are literally making the point of Huawei spying users true by forcing users use the ROM they provide
Userlevel 1
Dear Huawei Team,

to give the well minded people the:
  • flexibility to react on the actual situation with Google
  • possibility to continue to use our old phones with a custom rom in a maybe more secure way then just to throw it away and switching to Nokia or even Google
  • power to avoid wasting resources of our environment (for the good of our children)
  • ability not to support illegal hackers that sell codes (maybe working ones) for 30$+
I REALLY REQUEST from Germany to give us the possibility to unlock the bootloader with giving us the required unlock code for our phones.

Please accept that we are doing things on our own risk, even when we paid a lot of money in the past for your hardware that we are loving and that we want to continue to use.

Please support us; support your community!

Best regards
Matthias
They just dont give fk )) They just need to sell new devices. My MediaPad can work much better under LOS, but it's not their problem now, and I need to buy new tablet. Well, I will buy new one. But it will be not Huawei, and never more.
They simply take us for stupid and reply pre-made answer like those:

"In order to achieve a better user experience"
Tell me what make not unlocking my bootloader a better user experience!!??

"The unlock code provided by other ways (unauthorized by Huawei) is not recommended for consumers, and please take caution because it might be malicious or fraud."
What other choice we have, you keep us in cage with that password and tell us to use those service because that can be malicious or fraud, wow thank you for nothing

"unlock codes, which is an extra service and does not belong to consumer's rights"
Extra service because, YOU (Huawei), decided to add a password to the bootloader that is not part of the original android bootloaderNot belong to cosumer's rights, what the f**k, if I want to unlock my bootloader or throw my phone in the wall it's my decision. If I buy a PC, I can install any OS I want. I pay for your product, so why do you think you got the rights to tell me what I can or can't do with my phone

"hence due to possible problems caused by such unlocking, including:
• System built-in function failure.
• Device freezing.
• Increased power consumption."
Ok and whats about those same problem caused by using your EMUI OS...

"For your benefit, the unlock code application service was terminated"
For your benefit... Lol big joke, I prefer not to comment that one :)

"You need to keep in mind that unlocking the Bootloader will void the warranty and Huawei can no longer guarantee the performance of your phone and the consequences it might bring."
And I totally agree with you, unlocking bootloader will void my warranty... but I can't really void my warranty by unlocking the bootloader, YOU ADD A PASSWORD TO IT AND REFUSE TO GIVE THAT PASSWORD

And some more pre-made message like that, that, most of the time, has simply no sense

Really I love that phone, p20 pro, but so far it's my worse android experience ever.
Userlevel 1
I mean, at the end of the day maybe the FBI and Trump is right. It might be that they have hidden something in the mobile devices that supports China in a Cyberwar and thereof rooting might bring something up that is bad for Huawei or China..
Totally agree with you
Greeting,
this politics is really ashamed...
Userlevel 1
HUAWEI WHAT ARE YOU DOING! i bought my P20 pro last week and am now stuck with an unlockable phone THIS IS ABSOLUTELY a Killer for Huawei after the whole huawei boycot the least you could do was give out Codes again but u didn`t i really like the device but im forced to bring back the device and buy myself a oneplus device or a samsung Why u do this??? whyyyy! my phone is basicly useless now in my eyes

u guys realise there is a huge community of people that like to do with their phone what they want

and on top of that all the rumors about huawei makes it pretty sketchy now that u guys are locking everything down instead open the bootloaders and be transparent!!!! if you guys wont support Bootloader support then i wont support huawei anymore not to my family not to my friends and guess what im the guy they ask what phone should i buy im so upset with this decision! thanks for basicly bricking my brand new phone Good job Huawei Good Job Outstanding move *Slow Claps* *Flies Away*
Userlevel 1
Dear Huawei id like to keep supporting you but you stopped supporting us in giving out codes to unlock the bootloader.

Me and thousands and thousands of other people are waiting for their codes me myself am stuck with a huawei p20 pro thats basicly useless now because its not unlockable please consider supporting the people that made what huawei is today. i cannot recommend huawei to family and friends anymore if you dont support us.

let people decide themselfs if they want to void warrenty by installing better software and securety by choosing what they want to put on their phone instead of that crappy mui-blerrgh garbage.

its like buying a gaming computer and realizing that someone put linux on it but hey we put a password on the harddrive but we are not giving it to you so if you want to install windows you're out of luck buddy because we dont want you to install windows because that`s dangerous..... -.- really huawei Really! please Mr. Ren Zhengfei fix your company before it`s too late!
Userlevel 1
@Amy please stop removing my posts and moving them into sub forums that has nothing to do with my question or topic, if you keep moving them to sub forums they won't show up on Google Amy u and I both know that and people need to see them and Huawei has to know they made a mistake with not giving people acces to their own phones if you keep cleaning up the forum it looks like everything is OK but it's not Amy! I'm not saying anything in my posts that I can't say here I'm just telling the cold hard truth. Huawei should let people unlock their bootloader on their Huawei Phones if they want too.
Userlevel 1
@Amy yeah I know Amy but you can't sell people game computers and not give them acces to the harddrive that's like the most terrible thing you could do to a phone not make it unlockable ur making the phone a bricked death weight and not just my p20 pro all the high end devices I'm just trying because I wanna be a Huawei fanboy but u guys make that dream for me unrealizable and I have to go to oneplus one or even Samsung or HTC would be nice they all support bootloader unlocks

If u don't unlock ur phones I can tell ur brand will slowly die off because all the techy nerds won't buy the phone they all wouldnt recommend the Huawei brand anymore because they know Huawei crossed them and then slowly but surely less and less people start to buy huawei and the brand becomes less popular filled with rumors about it being owned by the Chinese government trying to infiltrate people's devices u guys not opening the bootloaders is a bit sketchy after all the news not gonna lie. Google stopped services to Huawei because they are sketchy already not unlocking bootloaders to me is not an option and I'm litteraly baffled why u made this decision and don't come at me with people bricked their phones because of bootloader unlock litteraly Noone in history has bricked their phone by unlocking the bootloader and its just a lazy move to discontinue the unlock support instead of putting more service towards it and creating an open environment for people to do whatever they wanted I envisioned Huawei becomming a big brand but im certain that won't happen anymore. And u wanted the best for Huawei but this is not it is there anyway I could refund the phone and get my money back? Because I didn't know this before I bought the phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @chinchan9,

I moved your post here to keep the topics on-topic.

@Max from our support team mentioned in this thread that and why the service has ended:

Hi Sohilkhan!

In response to your enquiry, we would like to inform you that the unlock code application service has ended, as of July 25th 2018, to ensure user experience and safety. Moreover, unlocking the bootloader of a device voids the warranty and it wasn’t recommended since it was the source of multiple software issues due to unauthorized software modifications.

Huawei used to provide users with corresponding unlock codes to meet personalized requirements due to the usage of different ROMs, which is an extra service and does not belong to consumers' rights.

However, due to possible problems caused by unlocking your device (such as system built-in function failure, device freezing, and power consumption increase) we will no longer provide the code.

Max

I'm really sorry to see that you didn't know this before you purchased the device. If you want to file a complaint, please contact our support team directly as the community is a place where you can ask questions, share ideas and get guidance from fellow community members.
Userlevel 1
Your complaint will be dealt with in a professional manner. BINNED
i support huawei's decision its not worth unlocking the bootloader guys

unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty... no thanks

it also causes problems with the phones system and if you resell your phone some other poor sod will have to deal with a corrupted phone

if you really want to unlock the bootloader you can always pay for it unofficially
Userlevel 1
This pretty much sums up Huawei costumer care it's sad to see such a company fall down this way.

@bowezo dude u know nothing it doesn't corrupt the system are u a Huawei employee? jeez dude... The warrenty only voids because Huawei says so. Huawei don't think people can install their own software like they have been doing for years and years I've always ran custom Roms and the phones are faster, take less battery because there no apps running in the background constantly. as matter of fact I managed to get my hands on a bootloader unlocked p20 pro and now running the latest Android pie with Magisk and I got to say Man what an improvement over my not unlocked p20 the phone is way snappier and the battery last about 30% longer then the not unlocked phone I can choose what and what not to put on the phone and make it secure in my own way installing operating software on this phone is so easy its basicly child proof. The only way Huawei discontinued service is because it costs money to provide some extra service Like giving out codes and they don't want to give that littlebit extra service. It's my phone I'll void my warrenty if I want to. I've seen absolutely 0 people on the tech forums that have fully bricked their p20 pro it's basicly impossible. Just stop being lazy Huawei! And instead of selling my other phone I brought it back to the store no more Huawei for me what. Sad to see Huawei stopped giving proper costumer care u won't be missed luckely there are better phones manufactures out there that do profide these Standard services that people need to get full acces to their devices. And don't forget without a custom rom Huawei probably has back doors in your phone to spy on you that's why the whole thing in America is going on with Huawei. Plus they don't sell shady keys anymore on the internet from shady sellers that I have to give my imei code to while Huawei should just give them out as a a service....
Unfortunately, I am forced to not buy devices from Huawei again until this issue is resolved.

Huawei has decided to ignore technologically skilled people with this move.

I wonder if they understand that technologically skilled people often help friends and family to choose devices. I will recommend everyone to avoid Huawei like plaque.
Userlevel 1
@WwW same my friend just only my influence on people arround me i delivered huawei just short of a thousand customers in less then 2 year and with my last choice being a few hunderd new company phones i chose not to go huawei anymore im leaving this as a statement because slowely but surely huawei u will start to lose allot of income because of this move. just mark my words around mei, june and july next year u guys will see a massive drop in shares and income, backers, funders will leave and ur stocks will crash just like they should all because someone in huawei thought it would be a cheap move to stop the unlock support and this all will be because of a ripple effect causing tech saveys to revolt against Huawei and refuse to sell and advise huawei to their customer's, friends and family because they feel scammed by huawei.
Matthias put it perfectly right:

Dear Huawei Team,

• possibility to continue to use our old phones with a custom rom in a maybe more secure way then just to throw it away and switching to Nokia or even Google
  • power to avoid wasting resources of our environment (for the good of our children)
  • ability not to support illegal hackers that sell codes (maybe working ones) for 30$+
I REALLY REQUEST to give us the possibility to unlock the bootloader with giving us the required unlock code for our phones.

Please accept that we are doing things on our own risk, even when we paid a lot of money in the past for your hardware that we are loving and that we want to continue to use.

Best regards
Matthias
Userlevel 1
Matthias put it perfectly right:

Dear Huawei Team,

I REALLY REQUEST to give us the possibility to unlock the bootloader with giving us the required unlock code for our phones.

Best regards
Matthias

@DRSC Media @Plymalan @Mikich_Blaz @Tboy2000 @TechZilla

i totally back this post this should be your first prioriy right now @Huawei Mobile UK

listen to your long time customers!!! i've recieved 0 support from huawei in this matter.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@DRSC Media @Plymalan @Mikich_Blaz @Tboy2000 @TechZilla

i totally back this post this should be your first prioriy right now @Huawei Mobile UK

listen to your long time customers!!! i've recieved 0 support from huawei in this matter.

wondered for a few minutes why I got tagged here, even if I've never replied to this thread.

I'm not related and/or work with Huawei, thus have no voice in this matter. You should tag actual Huawei employees such as @Huawei Mobile UK , or support such as @Max , @BarneyT or moderators (they don't work for Huawei directly, nota bene) such as @Danjl .
Userlevel 1
@DRSC Media i tagged u because u are listed in the top 5 most helpfull members on this platform and thought someone would give me the right people to contact this way thank u very much!!
I suspect that Huawei will not change their product policy to give their customers in the western hemisphere the opportunity to run their Huawei smartphones at their own risk.

Therefore I just bought a Samsung S9...
Hopefully I can sell my Huawei P10. Prices are already remarkably dropping for used Huawei smartphones @eBay 😞