Question

How to set SMS shortcuts

• 15 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi,
How do you create SMS shortcuts for SMS messages on the p20 pro? I've done it but can't remember how!!
So u could set up BRB to auto fill to be right back.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Julian Addison,

Happy to hear that you are using one of our devices.

In regards to your inquiry, kindly read the following steps below:

1.First, if you are talking about the common phrases you can add when messaging a person, please open the Messaging App > click on more (the three dots) > Settings > Advanced > Common Phrases.
From there you can add new common phrases or edit the existing ones.
If you wish to send them, while texting a person, tap on the plus near the Text Message box and this will open a box right underneath, select More (the three dots) and you will see "Phrases".
You can select whichever desired phrase that you've saved without typing the message itself.

2.Second, if you are talking about the custom text shortcuts, please go to Settings > System > Language & input > Personal dictionary > Add.
There you can add custom shortcut texts.
In the "Type a word" field you have to enter the sentence, word or emoji you wish to have replaced when typing the shortcut word (inputted in the "Shortcut" field). it won’t automatically replace the text in most cases, so you’ll have to tap the suggestion.
It’s worth mentioning that, depending on what keyboard you use as your default, this setting won't work as you intend to. For example, it will not work with the SwiftKey keyboard, but the pre-installed google keyboard works just fine with this.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us! 😀

Max
Messaging app > advanced but no common phrase option!! 🤔
The personal dictionary option is useful tho!!
Any idea why I've not got the common phrase option?

Thanks for your response tho. 👍🏻
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @Julian Addison,

Thank you for getting back to us.

It seems that the "common phrases" has been replaced starting from Android 8.1+ with "Smart Replies"
You can find those by opening the Messaging App > tap on the three dots in the right corner > Settings > Smart Replies.
I will also send a feedback in regards to this feature to the IT development team.

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
Hi,

I am not able to find an option to add a shortcut under "smart replies" i currently sing P30 Pro.

Please help

Thank you in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Jose, I will tag some P30 Pro users:

@DRSC Media, @MarkEx, @Envious86 @GoodSamaritan any advice? 🙂
2.Second, if you are talking about the custom text shortcuts, please go to Settings > System > Language & input > Personal dictionary > Add.
There you can add custom shortcut texts.
In the "Type a word" field you have to enter the sentence, word or emoji you wish to have replaced when typing the shortcut word (inputted in the "Shortcut" field). it won’t automatically replace the text in most cases, so you’ll have to tap the suggestion.
It’s worth mentioning that, depending on what keyboard you use as your default, this setting won't work as you intend to. For example, it will not work with the SwiftKey keyboard, but the pre-installed google keyboard works just fine with this.

I've attempted to do this and only got as far as 'Language & Input'. There's no option for 'Personal Dictionary'! Help!
All good, I missed the part about downloading the different keyboard. I've added shortcuts, I just wish the Huawei would automatically input the replacements (like my Samsung did, and like the Huawei does with autocorrect) without me having to tap on the middle option.