Huawei GPS Issues - Generic or just me?

• 15 January 2019
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi people,

So after I bought my Huawei P9 lite I fell so in love with the phone that I vowed that I was going to stick to the brand from now on. Unfortunately now, two years later, the phone is slow and laggy which is perfectly normal for a normal mid-range phone this old (or isn't it?). Anyway, what really has been bugging me is the GPS signal. So I moved to a country with a fast 4G internet connection and since I don't know my way around on foot I'm in desperate need of directions. Problem is, the GPS goes insane, for example, the pointer just starts spinning around or starts moving in different directions. Tried calibrating and installing various GPS Fixing apps and nothing did the trick.

So why did I say all of this? Because I'm scared I buy another Huawei and experience the same issues. Wanted to know if there are others out there that expedienced the same problem and if you would recommend I take the risk by buying another more recent Huawei smartphone?

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,

Just to defend the mate 20 pro, I think (on my mate pro) anyway, the GPS is far more accurate and reliable than my Samsung galaxy s8 which I moved over from.
Userlevel 1
Hi Amy, thanks for the reply and suggestion. I haven't tried it no. Right now is not a good time for me to go around resetting things but I'll definitively try it if I don't find an alternative solution.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I think that it is a generic Huawei issue as I have reported this issue with my previous P10 Pro and also my current (1 week old) Mate 20 Pro
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the heads up smeeghead....guess I'll be swtching brands until this issue is solved 😕
I am from Croatia, I have P20 Pie 9.0.0, and Honor 8 Nougat 7.1.1,both of them can't catch any GPS signal.. P20 since December... I have tried everything, and reset my phone... Several Android apps...but nothing helps, my navigation (Here, Sygic..) doesn't work properly (my wifes Samsung S8 catch GPS with no problem) ... What to do... Change phone, buy Samsung
I am very disapointed with my phone, P20, very pure, naked phone... My Honor 6x worked much better..
Has anyone solved GPS not working with Mapmywalk app? It is so frustrating. Worked perfectly on my Samsung but since having p20 lite last week I can’t get any tracking at all. Very disappointed
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @SueB,

Welcome on the community! Sorry to see that you are having trouble with your GPS and Mapmywalk app. Please tak a look at this thread with a similar issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Rdf_Richy,

Welcome on the community and thank you for asking your questions. There already are a few topics about GPS issues but most of them are related to a wearable.

Have you tried to reset your phone? This might also fix your lagginess issue!

Please keep us updated in this thread. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey rdf_richy,

Thanks for your reply. If you find an alternative solution, please share it with us in this thread. It might be helpful for other community members! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi,

Just to defend the mate 20 pro, I think (on my mate pro) anyway, the GPS is far more accurate and reliable than my Samsung galaxy s8 which I moved over from.

Hi @tjay

I understand that the GPS is supposedly more accurate on the Mate 20 series , the issue I'm (adding to the thread) reporting is that the GPS position is not reported in the Google MAPS timeline. I've had various days where the timeline for a day is empty or missing various points where I have travelled.

This was the same on my previous P10+ so looks to be a generic issue with the EMUI software / GPS function

smeeghead
hi there u all,
the gps connetion fail is a big problem whit lots off divice's.
its beceause they resset the clocks status of the sattelites i think.
many factures brands will provide u a softwareupdate that will resolve the problem.
huawei wont resolve it i think.