Huawei Health - Counting steps from phone and watch

• 17 November 2018
  • 104 replies

Show first post

104 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Intelligently combines??
No, there is nothing intelligent about it, it takes steps from both and the result is inflated step count. Intelligent would be letting us choose how the step's are collected!!
This app unlike Fitbit, Mi Health is an absolute failure until it can do this and reading the forums people have been complaining for years about this and still nothing!! Hence me selling my watch GT and going back to Fitbit, that has an app that works and has choices.
Userlevel 4
I expect that's the way it's supposed to work but sadly it doesn't. When you link a watch it should automatically pick the watch first but it doesn't. It always uses the phones pedometer first which over counts
Hi, I have opposite problem. My watch have more steps and calorie than huawei helth app. Where is problem?
e.g. my activity "indoore cycle" 270 kcal is not in app.
Hi, I have just bought two Honor Band 4 watches for my wife and I.
I own an iPhone and the Huawei Health app is quite good on it. No big issues.
My wife owns an Android phone and the Huawei Health app is terrible.
Many issues with stability, permissions, updates, and of course steps counting.
I have not found a way to avoid counting steps from the phone on Android.
THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

As @Ove stated in his response, the step count on the Huawei device inside Health App comes from the step count from the Huawei Health account- thus the steps will be combined with the ones on the watch.

Thank you very much for the explanation and hopefully this shed some light!

Cheers,
Max
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi all,

As @Ove stated in his response, the step count on the Huawei device inside Health App comes from the step count from the Huawei Health account- thus the steps will be combined with the ones on the watch.

Thank you very much for the explanation and hopefully this shed some light!

Cheers,
Max

Max unfortunately nobody wants this. The most common complaint I read about the Watch GT is not having the ability to choose the step count source. I've already said that my reasons are that my phone over counts steps. Why do I need my phone to count steps when I'm wearing my watch 24/7? If it was so intelligent, then other brands would be doing this, but they don't. I think enabling people to have the choice to turn it off would be a good move by Huawei.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Max this is an absolute basic, it's been complained about for literally years, yet you do absolutely nothing!!!! Yet another reason I will never purchase another Huawei product your customer service is shocking, say you are listening yet do nothing to rectify these basic issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

A while ago @Max posted the following:

Hello all,

Thank you for pointing this out. I will forward this to dev. department for them to take into account for future updates.
It is possible to assist them in this regards by also adding the S/N of the watch, the App version of the Health app in use, the IMEI of the devices paired and their build numbers.
If anyone is willing to assist us further please PM me with the respective information and also a #sports and I will gladly add the information to the respective ticket.

Best wishes,
Max

Please PM him with the requested information. How to send a PM? Click on Max's name and go to 'Send Message'. Please don't post it in this thread.
I changed from iPhone to Huawei and recently from the Apple watch to the Band 2 Pro. I am finding it hard to believe that the Health app literally adds up all the steps, but it seems like this is the case? What the...? Even though the the Apple watch is almost useless without an iPhone I am considering going back to it. At the moment my watch says 1606 steps, Health app says 6675 steps and Google Fit (which I downloaded hoping it worked well with MyFitnessPal, it does not...) says 4739 steps. How can it be this bad? I expect this is why the watches are so cheap compared to other companies, because they can't even do the basics. It has unlinked gps, its waterproof, analyses sleep but can't actually count steps properly...wow.

EDIT: The google fit link to MyFitnessPal is showing as 8140. I really was spoilt with Apple when things just worked.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I know, and it's been like that for literally years, Huawei know about it and do absolutely nothing!!! First and last time I buy a Huawei phone or wearable, I have the watch GT and it's useless, along side the app it's absolutely useless, I'm trying to sell it but no-one wants it!! I've gone back to my Fitbit that works well and has an app that's great as well. So sorry you joined our club, still you'll know better next time!!
I few people shuddered when I said I had gone to Huawei...I see why now. Only a year left on my phone contract...I'm sure it will fly by 😂 The battery life is unreal but when you want to smash it against the wall on a daily basis you start to realise battery life isn't all that...I only got the watch four days ago, I think if you don't pair it to a phone its probably still pretty good value at £40. But if you intend to actually use it with other devices or apps then definitely not. I recommended it to a friend the day it arrived, the next day I contacted her "STOOOOP!!! Under no circumstances should you buy a Huawei wearable, ever!" Its disappointing though, how can they think combining steps is actually a positive? Like they expect you to only have either the watch or the phone on at one time. I have to charge my apple watch twice a day, but I am still considering going back to it...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yep, I wish I'd done more research but like you, only a year left!! 😂😂
I have owned a Fitbit and the apple watch, both just worked. I didn't even consider that it wouldn't work as it should. I also wish I had done more research...I may get another Fitbit and send the watch back.
Userlevel 4
I bit the bullet today and bought an Apple Watch, Killed me as they are so bloody expensive but at least I know I'll have no more headaches. I won't be recommending Huawei to anyone sadly.
I returned the Huawei and ordered a Fitbit Charge 3...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Good for you, these wearables have some fantastic features, but the app and support is awful making them unusable!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

I can understand that the situation can be frustrating, but rest assured we have signaled our development department about this and forwarded all of your opinions, tips, comments and feedback's to the appropriate departments.

As soon as we receive an answer in regards to this matter we will let you know!

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1
Hi all,

I can understand that the situation can be frustrating, but rest assured we have signaled our development department about this and forwarded all of your opinions, tips, comments and feedback's to the appropriate departments.

As soon as we receive an answer in regards to this matter we will let you know!

Best wishes,
Max

Hi Max,

unfortunately I am another one disappointed customer. I bought Huawei Watch GT - it seems to be quite good product for the price. I upgraded from Mi Band 2. Although Xiaomi Mi Band 2 is a cheap device - it does what most of the fitness tracker users want to have - counting steps and providing the exact step count and its history in the app.
NOBODY wants to have "intelligently" mixed step count merged from phone and smart band/watch in the app. IT IS USELESS! Step counters in phones can be (and they really are) much less reliable than in the smart bands/watch. So why Huawei engineers even consider using steps from phone in the app when you have smart band/watch wearing???? Who wanted this? Every user who discovers this feature is there complains about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @stan,

I can understand your point of view completely, that is why I have raised the matter with the development team as our users prefer to have an exact step count.

Could you kindly PM me in private with the following: Serial Number of the Watch GT, current build number, the HuaweiHealth/Huawei Wear App version and the mobile you are pairing it with.

If possible, all of the other users who are reading on this topic that could pitch in with the information above would help me greatly so I can redirect the information in an escalation to the development team.

Best wishes,
Max
Recently got a wearable and having the same frustration. If you click the i icon it clearly lists two "sources" of data, so it's obviously been a decision to merge data. It's crazy that I can't even clearly track steps on this device.

My hardware:
  • P20 Lite
  • Band 3 Pro
And software:
  • Health app v9.0
Given the popularity of this problem I would hope it's not difficult for a developer to reproduce and allow us to select a data source for steps (i.e. NOT the phone).
Userlevel 1
Just for info - after couple of days of using the watch I can say it is not so bad - the count of steps in app is the same or almost the same as in the watch (I had deviation of ~200 steps after ~12k steps one day, other couple of days it was the very same value in the watch and app). Well of course it is in case you carry the watch whole day and you do not borrow your phone to somebody who will run around while you do not move. But I still vote for the option to have the possibility to chose "watch only" as the step count source in the application.
Mine differs massively. If I track a cycle on my watch, it doesn't seem to count steps (as expected) but my phone hits the thousands.
Userlevel 1
Mine differs massively. If I track a cycle on my watch, it doesn't seem to count steps (as expected) but my phone hits the thousands.
And while cycling - do you start the workout activity "outdoor cycling" or do you just passively wear the watch while cycling?

And do you have 24 hour HR monitoring enabled? I have it enabled and maybe when the watch know you wear it (it senses HR) then it do not accept steps from phone. But this is just wild guessing - I did not test it.
I track the activity with an outdoor cycle. Whilst this is running I can open the app and see constantly incrementing step counts. I do 4000 steps cycling to work and over 12,000 steps a day which is massively exaggerated.

Got 24 hour HR monitoring enabled too.
Userlevel 1
I track the activity with an outdoor cycle. Whilst this is running I can open the app and see constantly incrementing step counts. I do 4000 steps cycling to work and over 12,000 steps a day which is massively exaggerated.

Got 24 hour HR monitoring enabled too.

If the Health app counts steps from the phone while you track the activity using the watch, then it is fail. This has to be definitely repaired in the app. This can't be called intelligent step counting from several sources. How can one track cycling and in the very same moment have steps counted? There is no logic.

I will try this with my watch and phone - to see whether I have the same behavior. But I already had some cycling tests but only some short ones - 8min, 7min, 17min and I did not notice any weird step count in the app. But maybe it depends on the sensitivity of phone's sensors - perhaps my phone (ZTE Axon 7) is not so sensitive.