Answered

Huawei Health integration with other services

• 4 December 2018
  • 235 replies

Show first post

235 replies

Userlevel 1
Android users for whom Huawei Backup isn't available - are you able to download the app from somewhere such as APK Mirror, or does it still not work? Failing that, rooting your phone is an option (albeit quite an extreme one). Again, I'm afraid that I don't have a non-Huawei iOS device so won't be able to help, but this is probably where I'd start looking!

I've tried Android Studio adb backup, but I may be doing something wrong and it didn't work. But didn't tried to install the APK from another source, sounds like a good idea, I'll try that when i get some free time.
Userlevel 2

I've tried Android Studio adb backup, but I may be doing something wrong and it didn't work. But didn't tried to install the APK from another source, sounds like a good idea, I'll try that when i get some free time.

Ah I've tried that too; unfortunately app developers can set a flag in the app manifest to prevent it being backed up, which Huawei must have done for the Health app. As this happens before the app is built, and we don't have access to the source, I don't think it is possible for us to create a modified .apk that would be backup-able. But I hope I'm wrong!
Userlevel 3

Android users for whom Huawei Backup isn't available - are you able to download the app from somewhere such as APK Mirror, or does it still not work? Failing that, rooting your phone is an option (albeit quite an extreme one). Again, I'm afraid that I don't have a non-Huawei iOS device so won't be able to help, but this is probably where I'd start looking!I've tried Android Studio adb backup, but I may be doing something wrong and it didn't work. But didn't tried to install the APK from another source, sounds like a good idea, I'll try that when i get some free time.

I have tried to install several apk versions on my Lg G6 with no luck.
I have band 2 pro and band 3. My friend got the GT watch.

We have configured Google Fit sync on the Huawei health app.

Huawei health app only syncs steps and distance with Google Fit.

Huawei health app has a bug that doesn't allow it to sync Heart Rate and sleep data with Google Fit app.

This is a problem every band and watch user is facing. Check your Google Fit to see missing heart, sleep info.

Please fix this !
Userlevel 2
I'm definitely interested in the ability to both export the data into appropriate formats and for automatic uploading to services like Strava. It's a bit mental that this isn't already implemented considering the popularity of Strava as a fitness tracking service. Other brands didn't miss this out!
Huawei health is a great app, would be exceptional if you could link it to Strava. I don't use it (like many others) simply because it doesn't. Huawei, can we have an update if this is ever going to happen please, is it on your roadmap?
Userlevel 2
@Mark Greatorex There's someone else on the forum who is writing a script to grab the data from the app and format it ready for Strava.
@ediblemanager Thanks, sounds interesting, can you point me in the right direction?
Userlevel 2
Not right now unfortunately as I'm on my phone. A search for "Strava" might point you in the right direction though! If I get time today I'll come back here with a link. Happy hunting!
Userlevel 2
@Mark Greatorex Ha! It's actually in this thread. @aricooperdavis is the man with the plan.
If the GPX / TCX export that @aricooperdavis is working on could be done natively on the phone, it would be easy enough to get that file synced with strava perhaps through dropbox / tapiriik which could all be done on the phone itself.

Obviously the ideal is for Huawei to write this themselves - as it's quite clearly there already in some form, just needs a UI putting on the app to allow for exports.

But if that doesn't happen, at least there seems to be something of a way to get it pushed across, even if it is heavily manual at the moment.
Userlevel 2
@Mark Greatorex There's someone else on the forum who is writing a script to grab the data from the app and format it ready for Strava.

Unfortunately it's impossible to grab app data without a rooted phone, as apps keep their own data to themselves for security purposes. My script is therefore only really useful if you have a rooted phone or can access the app data in some other way. We've worked out that users with Huawei phones can access their app data by using the Huawei Backup application to make a backup of the Health data then extract app data from that backup, but that leaves all other users (non-Huawei non-rooted) without any options! 😞
Aha, my son has a Huawei phone and a Band 2 Pro, so would fit in the small venn diagram of being someone who could make it work on his phone directly then? But that is a small user group I expect? Does the Huawei Backup app not work on other phones then?
Userlevel 2
Aha, my son has a Huawei phone and a Band 2 Pro, so would fit in the small venn diagram of being someone who could make it work on his phone directly then? But that is a small user group I expect? Does the Huawei Backup app not work on other phones then?

He won't be able to get it to work on his phone directly, but he will be able to get the data into Strava with the help of a computer 👍 He'd just need to download the Huawei Backup app (which only works on Huawei phones apparently, although I can't test this), make an un-encrypted backup of his Huawei Health app data to his phone's SD card, copy that backup data to his computer, and then use my script to turn the HiTrack files into .TCX files which can be uploaded to Strava.

My script does require you to have Python on your computer, but I can build a version for windows very easily that doesn't require this (and Mac's/Linux's have Python installed by default). Full instructions here!
Userlevel 2
@aricooperdavis I don't know python, but do know other scripting languages (it's my bread and butter), so will be aiming to try and help out once my Watch GT arrives.
Equipment: Huawei P20 Pro, Watch 2 Classic, Watch 1

Activities (masters sprint athlete): sprint drills, weights, cross training, cycling, dance, walking

I appreciate that my 4-6 tracked activities per day is not typical but I have found a way around the lack of sync for sleep tracking issue. I also have seen advantages of keeping Huawei Health installed even though all of my tracked activity is in Google Fit (GF):

1. Sleep: forget Huawei Health. The easy choice here is a Xiaomi Mi Band 2 using the app Notify & Fitness. At bedtime, I put my Watch 2 Classic on charge and don the ultra-small / light Mi Band 2 (circa £15!!). Do NOT use the official Mi Band app. Notify & Fitness is backed up to your GoogleDrive and syncs all of your VERY accurate sleep data to GF automatically. You won't see the sleep data in the GF app at the moment but I know the sleep data is in GF database because I use fitnesssyncer.com to pull all of my GF data for analysis. Notify & Fitness does auto-sleep tracking and, so far (eight months) it has been staggeringly accurate in working out when I fall asleep and when I wake up. This combination is so good that I've junked the Sleep for Android app. The only minor downside is a lack of REM sleep log but that really doesn't interest me. I get light sleep, deep sleep, awake stats and, as well as the sync to GF, I can export the data as required. I would go so far as to say that the Notify & Fitness app has by far and away the most sophisticated export mechanism I've come across. The only time I track sleep in Huawei Health is if I have a nap during the day. I then manually add the data into Notify & Fitness which then auto-syncs it to GF.
  2. Keep Huawei Health installed: GF has an auto-tracking capability. I don't use it much because most of my activity is manually initiated via my Watch 2 Classic. However, if I do forget to start 'cycling' or 'walking', the auto-track capability of GF is useful. BUT if I uninstall Huawei Health / Wear, the GPS tracked map in GF is erratic and inaccurate. Leave Huawei Health in place (even though you're not using it) and the GF auto-initiated / auto-tracked GPS is accurate.
  3. Generally: I've come to Huawei Watch 2 / GF from having used Fitbit for years. I would not contemplate going back. The auto-identification of weights exercises at the gym is a boon, meaning that I don't have to carry my phone with me for weight training. Each exercise is recognised automatically, the reps are counted automatically - all I have to input is the weight in kg. I have even been able to add custom exercises to the 'strength training' GF list. From having data in multiple apps, I now have the perfect one-stop-shop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello All!

We are sorry to hear that it is not possible to connect the Huawei Health application with Strava or other applications.

We inform you that we are going to send all this information to the proper department, so that they can be taken into account for future updates and development.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Max

BIG news! Having found my perfect method for getting sleep data into the GF database (see my earlier post), as of this morning's GF app update, I can now see 'sleep' in the Journal of my GF app on my mobile! :D

Interesting to note that one of the sleep records is marked 'Health' when I know for a fact that Huawei Health is in no way linked to this record, it having come from Notify & Fitness / Mi Band 2 synced (on a separate device) to GF cloud database whilst my Huawei Watch 2 Classic was charging overnight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks, @ramtec! Looks great. 🙂 Please keep us informed on your findings, we're curious. 🔎
Userlevel 2
Hello All!

We are sorry to hear that it is not possible to connect the Huawei Health application with Strava or other applications.

We inform you that we are going to send all this information to the proper department, so that they can be taken into account for future updates and development.

Max

Hello Max,

Which department is the proper department?

Thanks,

Ari
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hello All!

Max
Hello Max,

Which department is the proper department?

Thanks,

Ari

Hi Ari,

That would be the Research & Development department. 🙂
Userlevel 1
So is there an update coming soon. Perhaps if Huawei could keep its users infor
ed of dates when releases will be made available, as we are after all making suggestions that will if implemented improve their product and it’s appeal.
Userlevel 3
They have presented a new line of smart watches. Maybe will come a future update with Strava integration and data export to fullfill the expectations of those watches?. Is there a new sports series indeed. But "sports" with those limitations will not engage most users ,only casual ones.

Come on Huawei.. is not any Nasa, NSA, features for deep research and development. They are simple features that already come in almost all sports tracking apps. Huawei has IA features, intellingent assistants, propietary operating systems.. these features that the community are requesting seem very affordable for Huawei devs.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I strongly believe that Huawei will not add integration with Strava, Runkeeper or other third party fitness apps. Huawei Health and Wear apps exist for more than a year (at least in the iOS AppStore) supporting various smartwatches and fitness trackers from Huawei and never had any kind of integration with other services. Huawei doesn't even provide the ability to export activities to .gpx files. I think this is a strategic decision that has already been taken.
Userlevel 3
Seems like Google Fit is suddenly syncing data across from HH. There are missing days worth of data though. I've switched off steps tracking on GF so I know now the data is purely from the watch. I particularly appreciate the fact that the activity icons have a little HH icon on the bottom left to show the source of the data. Still not syncing heart rate data though.