Lack of Huawei P20 UK variant updates

Userlevel 2
  • Fearless Explorer
  • 4 replies
Hi Amy

I was wondering if it is at all possible for you to comment on why the UK variant of the Huawei P20 has not been updated for nearly 3 months now whilst the Lite and Pro versions have received updates?

Owners on XDA developers and Reddit have also expressed their frustration whilst the European models of the P20 have received updates with turbo boost and the new security patches.

We UK P20 owners do feel like we are being treated like second class citizens over the P20 Pro users.

Please if there is anyone can you find out what the hold up is?

Thank you

182 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
All I can add is that when manufacturer's push out updates they then have to be thoroughly tested by the networks, this is often what causes delays in firmware updates. Take O2 for example, they have quite a few official apps (Priority, MyO2 etc), when new firmware is released for a device it must then be put through a series of tests to make sure it does not interfere with any of the pre-installed apps - which often leads to delays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Toge,

Thank you for your question.

Tony is right, the updates have to be testen by the networks. Unfortunately this can cause delays. We are doing our best to get the updates to all users asap!
Userlevel 2
OK. I bought Huawei p20 from Vodafone and another p20 from mobiles.com with Vodafone contract. First one is c432 and second is c782. First one getting updates(now on164) second one stuck on April's security update(120) It looks like nobody cares about c782. And its very strange that two p20's phones on Vodafone contracts c432 getting updates and c782 NOT. Can somebody explain that. Next time I definitely will not buy any Huawei phone because of that.
Userlevel 2
OK. I bought Huawei p20 from Vodafone and another p20 from mobiles.com with Vodafone contract. First one is c432 and second is c782. First one getting updates(now on164) second one stuck on April's security update(120) It looks like nobody cares about c782. And its very strange that two p20's phones on Vodafone contracts c432 getting updates and c782 NOT. Can somebody explain that. Next time I definitely will not buy any Huawei phone because of that.
I just got an update pushed to my c782 model!
Userlevel 2

OK. I bought Huawei p20 from Vodafone and another p20 from mobiles.com with Vodafone contract. First one is c432 and second is c782. First one getting updates(now on164) second one stuck on April's security update(120) It looks like nobody cares about c782. And its very strange that two p20's phones on Vodafone contracts c432 getting updates and c782 NOT. Can somebody explain that. Next time I definitely will not buy any Huawei phone because of that.I just got an update pushed to my c782 model!

Is it 152? C432 got this update long days ago. Now they are on 164. Meanwhile c782 just now started to get 152. And if so on so then do c782 will get android 9? On the end of next year, or maybe never. Actually we who live in uk should protest against Huawei politics. Updates for our phones should not depends on UK carriers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
It's necessary for networks to test firmware. Manufacturers dont have the resources to test their firmware builds against every carriers own personal apps so they release a final build which is then put through a series of tests by each carrier to rule out any potential issues. This isnt exclusive to Huawei and it happens pretty much everywhere.
Userlevel 2
Hi,
I have bought P20 (not PRO) in UK. It is C782 branded (phone was bought in shop not from carrier). My last security update is from 1 April and yes i think United Kingdom support for this phone is a joke.

All European models branded C432 receive security updates once a month. Europeans have now .164 September update while UK citizens have .120.

I was contacting with support twice about this (in june and july) they have lied to me twice that my phone will be updated shortly.

Dear HUAWEI do you realize that our phones in UK are vulnerable to hacker attacks because of your incompetence
Userlevel 3
I agree I've contacted them so many times since June.
I was promised 8 days ago it would be 10 days, tick tock.
If it doesn't come on Friday it's goodbye from me
Userlevel 1
Yes I agree 100% with this, I currently own a Huawei p20 and although I love everything about this phone the severe lack of updates is driving me away from it. We were promised the GPU turbo update in August and it still hasn't arrived. If this is the state of play with just security updates god knows when Android 9 will arrive to the UK models.
Well I'm sorry Huawei but this phone is being sold and I will not purchase another Huawei phone until you get this sorted out as your support for the c782 model is nothing short of embarrassing.
Good bye
Userlevel 3
No it doesnt! This is a lie, the update comes directly from Huawei, this has been confirmed by both Huawei and my carrier three.
I have p20 pro and thats a sad truth. We are in better position than p20 users but still we receive updates in uk with awful delays! I dont think that my next phone will be huawei
Same here with my carrier unlocked phone I bought from carphonewarehouse.
Very disappointed in Huawei's UK update policy and will not buy another phone from them if they continue to treat us UK customers this way.
I'm in the UK and received the 133. Update 3 days ago on EE network which has the latest September security patch..
Userlevel 2
I bought my p20 from Clove without carrier brand. Only c782 UK brand and i'm still on april security update. Thos is pathetic

Ans thoae lies that is a fault of carriers.... Apple dont have those problems in UK but huawei does...
Userlevel 3
Its all lies, it doesn't come from the carrier at all.
I've heard it all
"We are provision our servers for the download" should say server (only 1)
"You will receive it in 10 days" I call BS!

Its the same old story will android OEMs.
I have no idea how huawei got to number 2.Going to get the pixel next time.
Come on Huawei reps, this is a serious device vulnerability issue that needs to be addressed properly and fixed. I'm also using an unbranded P20 that hasn't received an update in months (still on C782). Too focused on creating devices with these gimmicky features and forgetting to support them for us customers. Next time I won't be buying Huawei.
Userlevel 3
Anyone had this update yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
The update has been released and is processed in batches.

The network provider has to approve it via their network and unless you are pixel jser this will cause a delay, which will vary between network provider. Sadly customer support on a network cant advise a date as its not in their control or influence.
Userlevel 3
Seriously it doesn't take 2-3months to roll out an update, unless the batches are of 2 per day 😀.
Pretty much resigned to the fact that Huawei are just like any other cheap Chinese brand and abandon a device immediately.

I had my reservations about getting this phone due to privacy concern but it was a free "upgrade".
Its going to be my last Huawei phone that I'm certain of. In addition if people ask if it's any good, I'll tell them to avoid like the plague.
Get a pixel or a device with android one, none of this OEM bloat crap that doesn't update EVER.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'm on O2 UK and c782 currently running 131 and very annoyed myself over the lack of updates in a timely manner can't Huawei push an update that changes my phone to non carrier specific ?

It's not like I chose to have their bloat on my device when you can install it all from play store if I so wished.
Userlevel 3
Wow your on 131, I'm still on 120.
If I could uninstall all the Huawei crud that come preinstalled i would.
Userlevel 3
I'm on.131 with July security patch on EE. Bought it on an upgrade from cpw. I think Huawei pass along the firmware to the networks and then the likes of EE release the firmware on an 'individual' basis... Eg.. 'right, Brian in Coventry has just downloaded his update, release the next one to... Dave in widnes.. 😆
Userlevel 3
I asked three about this when Huawei first mentioned it, but they said it's not the case on the uk. The software comes straight from the manufacturer, unlike the US where it does have to approved by the carrier.
However I think it is one person at a time the speed at which it is deployed 🤣
Userlevel 3
I asked three about this when Huawei first mentioned it, but they said it's not the case on the uk. The software comes straight from the manufacturer, unlike the US where it does have to approved by the carrier.
However I think it is one person at a time the speed at which it is deployed 🤣

News just in.. Keith in barrow has just completed his download of the august security patch. Lucky git.., 😆 just checked my update logs and I've had 44 twitter updates from August to now..probably deploying the update over gprs to each user.. 😆
Userlevel 3
Getting closer to me then!