Latest news on Huawei Operating System

Userlevel 5
Badge
With all the news about Alphabet withdrawing their Android Operating System on new models, the latest news been discussed is that Huawei are releasing OS Hongmeng in October which would tie in with launch of the MateP30Pro.

OS Hongmeng will be running up to 60 times faster than Android could be a real gamechanger by breaking the Android and iOS monopoly (or duopoly of you prefer) for Smartphone and Tablet Operating Systems.

After seven years of development, this move could really change things as other sites are saying that other Chinese phone manufacturers are starting to talk to Huawei about adopting this too. If Samsung also enter the fold, this could really disrupt the whole technology industry with the biggest damage being done to Silicon Valley!

Plus, with Huawei also expanding their own Chip development by replacing ARM Technologies, the impact of the actions by the US Administration forcing US Tech Companies to stop dealing with Chinese Tech Companies is showing that we are starting to see the new drawn of the next wave Technology Development.

If you also factor in that Hongmeng will support both Android and iOS App's, this could take Huawei to the next level by offering a phone or tablet that any App can run on, now that's what I call a GAMECHANGER!!

Whats your thoughts on this new development....

25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I did not know it could run both android and iOS apps. Wow! The best of both worlds in one phone. Wow!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Not sure why they say "60 times faster", that's just impossible.

The claims made by Huawei is that by using their "ARK Compiler", apps can run 60% faster than on Android.

https://technology-info.net/index.php/2019/04/27/how-does-the-huawei-ark-compiler-change-the-underlying-architecture-of-android/

"The Huawei Ark compiler is available for developers to compile high-level languages ​​into machine code in a development environment at one time, which can significantly improve the operating efficiency of APP installed on mobile phones. According to the Huawei lab test data, EMUI 9.1 only increased the system operation fluency by 24% and system response performance by 44% after applying the Huawei Ark compiler to the system component System Server. Sina Weibo Express Edition is the first third-party application to use the Ark compiler, and the operation fluency is increased by 60%."
Userlevel 5
Badge
what would stop google from blocking the access to it's apps from devices running this os, if they knew it was Huawei developing it.

I wouldn't switch to another OS and loose the ability to access my Google stuff and I wouldn't be buying another Huawei mobile or watch, as soon they release something new, they give up on their old devices and current devices the updates are dismal.
Userlevel 5
Badge
what would stop google from blocking the access to it's apps from devices running this os, if they knew it was Huawei developing it.

I wouldn't switch to another OS and loose the ability to access my Google stuff and I wouldn't be buying another Huawei mobile or watch, as soon they release something new, they give up on their old devices and current devices the updates are dismal.

What do you mean by "Google from blocking access to it's App's" then?

As all the App's are built to run open source or via various devices, you wouldn't lose any of your "Google stuff" because whether it's Hongmeng, iOS or Android, Google App's will run on them.

This is the misconception that "oh no - I can't get my Google things" - when actually it's just that if this isn't resolved, new phones will come without the App's pre-loaded on to the phone. All you have to is download the App to your device, based on the App being in the store/gallery that you can access.
Userlevel 5
Badge

Also, you say the updates are awful - what updates? Can you be specific on this? Not sure what devices you have or have been running from Huawei, but I'm on my third Huawei phone now and I get App updates at least 3-4 times a week which is more regular than I ever got/get from Blackberry, Microsoft and Apple.

With regards to security updates, I have attended several Huawei events and heard Google talk about Huawei and they have said how fast, robust and update the security updates are from Huawei, hence why they are one of Google's top partners/developers.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I did not know it could run both android and iOS apps. Wow! The best of both worlds in one phone. Wow!

That's why @Tboy2000 this is another example of how Huawei are both ground breaking and innovating, hence why in my opinion this action is been taken by the US. Tech Companies based within China are being targeted because they are just so ahead of US Tech Companies and that's the real problem! So, if all the rumours are right, Hongmeng being able to carry both Apps will be ground breaking in so many ways.
It will be great for there to be more OS competition and it would hopefully shake the market up.

I hope it does come out for the Mate30Pro as this will be when I'll be looking for my next phone
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Let's hope Huawei make it open source and get the devs behind them. Lots of people don't like Google and would be pleased to see a replacement. While they are at it, allow unlocking the bootloader like other manufacturers.

Somehow I don't think they'll do either....
Userlevel 5
Badge
@IanMCalvert I have the Mate 10 Pro, P20 Pro updates are dismal on these devices 3-6 months waiting for updates. The Huawei Classic Watch 1 & 2, the watch 2 has had no updates since last year from Huawei.

App updates are different to security and firmware updates, Huawei are not that fast in providing updates to UK models of their devices. It's a known fact.

Google could still block access to the Google Play Store and its apps, don't say they can't because they can, they just set a flag on the system to say not compatible with device.

I don't wish to have to sideload apps to get things working. I don't want a device that is constantly 3-6 months behind on updates.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
From Huawei Central:

Fake: Huawei OS will be 60% faster compared to Android and compatible with IOS apps

Looks like the rumour mill has hit some other web sites lol.
Userlevel 1
Hello, I'm an android user and also have a huawei (nova 2) since a while back huawei started to create their own OS known as "ARK OS". Android apps should run on it. The American government has "canceled" the android license of Huawei, so they will need their own store, some people are saying that Aptoide will be a possible app store for Huawei. I used aptoide on my old phone and realized that people upload apps of there own. Google checks their apps to be sure that apps are safe. Aptoide also contains alot of malicious software. IF Huawei will use Aptoide as a store, will those malicious programs still be on the servers or will huawei delete those files? I dont want to be rude but some people are less "known" with android, and will possibly install virusses. I want to warn you guys to watch out with apps on aptoide.

Huawei could also make there own store (I personally think that's better) because they could check the apps more to make such people wont get virusses that easy 🙂

America says that Huawei uses his products (and OS) to spy on them. I thing america spys too 🙂 but it could also be possible that their trying to protect their market position. (IM NOT SAYING THAT ITS TRUE, ITS ONLY A POSSIBILITY!!!). Will ARK OS be safe to use (I know I shouldnt be "afraid" for it) it could be a great OS but america said huawei is using their software to spy (i am not shure about it). I think the OS should be an open source sofrware like linux. Not only so people could change a lot of the system, but huawei could prove itself that they are not spying! (I think all Operating systems are watching us) so we have always less privacy. (its only my opinion, I respect all yours!). I hope that we could do the same thing with ARK OS as with Android. IOS protects his products very good. But I want to use everything of my phone, every bit of ram, storage etc. Please let Ark OS "open" for the users just like android.

This is my opinion about android and ark OS, I'm curious to your opinion. I want to share toughts with you guys and maybe even improve ARK OS, lets talk about your expectations about ARK OS, and huawei's position. One thing for sure RESPECT ECHOTHER'S OPINIONS :)

P. S. Sorry for my bad English.
(I will not be able to react at all the messages, yes im also a human, not a bot yet) mabye in the future 😛 (Im still learning) so sorry if I wont understand particular things xD.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Tjodh , i moved your post here as this thread covers the latest news on the operating system.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hello, I'm an android user and also have a huawei (nova 2) since a while back huawei started to create their own OS known as "ARK OS". Android apps should run on it. The American government has "canceled" the android license of Huawei, so they will need their own store, some people are saying that Aptoide will be a possible app store for Huawei. I used aptoide on my old phone and realized that people upload apps of there own. Google checks their apps to be sure that apps are safe. Aptoide also contains alot of malicious software. IF Huawei will use Aptoide as a store, will those malicious programs still be on the servers or will huawei delete those files? I dont want to be rude but some people are less "known" with android, and will possibly install virusses. I want to warn you guys to watch out with apps on aptoide.

Huawei could also make there own store (I personally think that's better) because they could check the apps more to make such people wont get virusses that easy :)

America says that Huawei uses his products (and OS) to spy on them. I thing america spys too 🙂 but it could also be possible that their trying to protect their market position. (IM NOT SAYING THAT ITS TRUE, ITS ONLY A POSSIBILITY!!!). Will ARK OS be safe to use (I know I shouldnt be "afraid" for it) it could be a great OS but america said huawei is using their software to spy (i am not shure about it). I think the OS should be an open source sofrware like linux. Not only so people could change a lot of the system, but huawei could prove itself that they are not spying! (I think all Operating systems are watching us) so we have always less privacy. (its only my opinion, I respect all yours!). I hope that we could do the same thing with ARK OS as with Android. IOS protects his products very good. But I want to use everything of my phone, every bit of ram, storage etc. Please let Ark OS "open" for the users just like android.

This is my opinion about android and ark OS, I'm curious to your opinion. I want to share toughts with you guys and maybe even improve ARK OS, lets talk about your expectations about ARK OS, and huawei's position. One thing for sure RESPECT ECHOTHER'S OPINIONS :)

P. S. Sorry for my bad English.
(I will not be able to react at all the messages, yes im also a human, not a bot yet) mabye in the future 😛 (Im still learning) so sorry if I wont understand particular things xD.

Not knowing the Nova (and I am guessing here) @Tjodh if the Nova is like the Huawei P range of handsets, each phone does have it's own Huawei App Store already.

When you get the P Phone, if you wanted to download App's, you have a choice of both Google Play Store and the Huawei Store, but the majority of people click and set the Play Store as the default. How do I know this, because I click the Huawei Store once and it removed Play Store but left me with the Huawei Store.

I have to admit that I was surprised with the store as it has a huge library of App's and whilst they are obviously based around the Chinese market, having App Developers joining the App Store won't be hard as people make out.

Personally I think that Huawei are lining up all their cards ready for the fall out and App Developers are wanting to be involved otherwise they will be losing out on the huge Asian and Fast East market where Huawei is huge. And it wouldn't surprise me if after this happens, if other phone manufacturers start asking to use the ARK/Hongmeng OS
Userlevel 1
@IanMCalvert "Personally I think that Huawei are lining up all their cards ready for the fall out and App Developers are wanting to be involved otherwise they will be losing out on the huge Asian and Fast East market where Huawei is huge. And it wouldn't surprise me if after this happens, if other phone manufacturers start asking to use the ARK/Hongmeng OS"

we are on the same line about this thing 😊
(friend of mine already switched to huawei store). He doesn't have google play anymore. Only older phones (with android 😎 keeps the google play store (I dont know if this is true for everyone but it is for me)
I think my google play will get replaced in the future, now im having both stores.

Im curious about the supported phones for ARK OS, I love Android because of the huge amount of possibilities like customize themes, custom apps, custom roms and much more! I really hope that ARK OS keeps customizable like Android! πŸ‘Œ
Userlevel 5
Badge
@IanMCalvert "Personally I think that Huawei are lining up all their cards ready for the fall out and App Developers are wanting to be involved otherwise they will be losing out on the huge Asian and Fast East market where Huawei is huge. And it wouldn't surprise me if after this happens, if other phone manufacturers start asking to use the ARK/Hongmeng OS"

we are on the same line about this thing 😊
(friend of mine already switched to huawei store). He doesn't have google play anymore. Only older phones (with android 😎 keeps the google play store (I dont know if this is true for everyone but it is for me)
I think my google play will get replaced in the future, now im having both stores.

Im curious about the supported phones for ARK OS, I love Android because of the huge amount of possibilities like customize themes, custom apps, custom roms and much more! I really hope that ARK OS keeps customizable like Android! πŸ‘Œ

Good to hear @Tjodh but seem we like different things 😂

Android is too intrusive and I think this is what's going to be Google/Alphabet's downfall which is where the US argument against Huawei will fail. US are saying that Huawei could possibly be open to having backdoors to spy on people, yet Android phones all already have this by tracking you, capturing/sharing your data, etc, etc.

The Android OS currently (and has done for years) allows and operates the things Huawei are accused of possibly doing yet the US authorities are allowing this to happen day in day out and this is now what people are realising. EU is already looking into and action could be happening but this could also relate to Apple and Amazon with their home devices, hence why US authorities are playing the motions of doing the same with their anti-trust laws, by looking into these three companies as well as Facebook, Twitter etc, etc

This whole thing is about trade wars and why either way, US Tech Companies will fail due to Chinese and other countries Tech Co's breaking the US Tech monopoly
Hello my friend I am Saif from Iraq I have a question how to book my new hongmeng system on my phone
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Aljubori , I've moved your post to this thread as others are discussing the not yet released Hong Meng OS. Hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hello my friend I am Saif from Iraq I have a question how to book my new hongmeng system on my phone

Hello,

The OS is not yet available to the public.

It is hoped to be released shortly.
I would anticipate emui 9 devices would be directly upgradeable but how this process would work is currently unclear.
Userlevel 1
My personal opinion: all phone brends spy, iphone, huawei, samsung and even windows phones. We cannot prevent that from happening except if we modify our phone but we dont know how (yes u could destroy it, or disable the wireless functions like wifi) but thats difficult to do if you arent an expert with special tool kits 🙂 If all those companies work together to make a great phone with an open source operating system so we could check the software (is it safe) those discussions about phone bremds wont exist 🙂 but im wondering "could our future phones be safe without spyware" πŸ€” I dont know. Goverments and companies like google, Facebook etc. Wont allow this because their profit numbers will drop. I like Android (I already said why in an older) Iphones are fast its true, but i love the much "custom" possibilities from an Open Source like Android πŸ™‚
Userlevel 1
I dont thing Apple is safe either, I think they are spying too. Yes, android spys but most of the time the apps on your phone are the ones who are spying. (How do I know) if you download an app from the google play store or something else, android shows you a list with app rights(permissions) (example:GPS permission, or read the contact etc.) alot of apps have permissiobs that are not used to be there because the app shouldnt have that permission. For example a video app that has a gps or sms reading permission. In Android 5+ (if im right) your able to disallow those permissions. Is that possible in IOS? (im even able to remove permissions) or disallow the app to use my data (to prevent a huge phone bill πŸ˜‚)
Now that President Trump has lifted the ban on Huawei, is Huawei going to keep its New Operating System under wraps and resume using Android OS or is it going to forever ditch Android OS in favor of theirs?

I for one would like to see them ditch Google's Android OS.

What about you?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@richardjuwah , I moved your post here to avoid duplicate topics and keep the discussion going here.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Tjodh anything that now relies on location must have GPS/BT enabled, granted other permissions not needed by the application should be blocked
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@walkerx if only apps were the problem.... French consumer association UFC-Que choisir is taking Google to court due to the amount of user data the company collects without user content, repeatedly breaking GDPR, asking for an indemnization of 1000€ per French Android user (we are looking at a 33 billion euro indenmization here, even if we know the consumer association will never win this case). The association mentions how Google will collect your localization about 340 times a day, even if you are not moving, and even with the GPS disabled. You need to disable a different function "activity on the web and application" [or whatever the proper translation in English is] for this to stop🙄 like I have my whole day to tweak my device