Mate 20 Lite: EMUI 9 Bugs & Issues

Userlevel 4
Please don't merge this thread with the Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro threads. If there is a thread dedicated to the 20 Lite, please merge - but I was not able to find one.

1. en_GB still uses "Airplane" instead of "Aeroplane"
  2. Screen seems much less responsive. I'm interested in what specific changes were made to the screen's config files and/or drivers. I have tested in both 'FHD+' mode and dynamic - general touch issues persist.
  3. What have you done to break the colours on the Overview screen? I can reproduce this most of the time by waking the phone and switching to the Overview screen, as demonstrated in the screenshots. This is a bizarre bug.
  4. Step counter stopped displaying on the screen when using the official 'Smart case'.
  5. Phone has hard-locked four times. A software reset might help, but this update has been in beta since about a month after the phone's release. How were none of these issues found? 😑
I will add to this list as I find more issues, if possible, but the ability to edit the thread is removed after a reply. If a developer sees this, what's Huawei's QA workflow? Some of these bugs seem very obvious and should have been spotted.

Overview screen bug
How it should look (this bug happens with and without the notch hidden):

How it should not look - blue tinge (this bug happens with and without the notch hidden):

PS: Thank you for deleting the previous thread where I forgot to remove important information from the screenshot! Oops.

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Another three issues I've found
  1. When using the Overview (or task switcher if you prefer) to view and app and clicking on the dual view option, if the other app does support split screen, the Overview screen is now blank showing no apps currently open in the background, yet RAM use indicates the apps are still open. This is a serious flaw.
  2. Using the tradition < O [ ] buttons, a double tap is required (as vaguely mentioned above). This is repeatable and I'm not sure whether intentional (especially the home button) or an issue.
  3. Pressing volume up on the home screen to go from vibrate mode to full volume mode doesn't do anything. I believe this is a missed feature that was present in EMUI 8.x
Can someone from Huawei please respond to confirm or explain these issues? Thank you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Piers your post is flagged for the support to look at and respond.
Userlevel 4
A couple of other issues relating to EMUI 9 and the Huawei Smart View Cover:
  1. The step counter sometimes appears when using the official Huawei smart cover, but it's sporadic.
  2. Message counts rarely appear. Permissions have been set correctly.
  3. Weather no longer appears (and rarely worked before). This may be launcher-specific, which if true is a completely absurd UX choice.
Userlevel 1
You did not describe the best BUG: DPI scaling through dev options and even normal display settings. It not affecting user UI, and quick setting panel, notifications and more persists ridiculously big...
Userlevel 4
I'm listing them as I find them. Can you take a screenshot of the notification issue?
Userlevel 1

Userlevel 4

Which handset?
Userlevel 1
Screens from P10, but tested on P20, P30 and Mate 20 Pro, Lite also. All of them running on EMUI 9...
Shame on Huawei.
Userlevel 4
More issues:
In Huawei's own apps (including Notes), the blue tinge continues to randomly appear. I've been able to recreate this on two phones with the same software version and will try to take a screenshot next time I see this (this rules out a hardware defect as demonstrated in my first post).

@Danjl, do you know when these issues may be looked at and a response provided? It's been seven days since your reply. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Piers,

Thanks for sharing this. I nudged the support team again. 🙂

Please contact the support team directly if you need help or want to raise the issue right now.
Userlevel 4
Hey Piers,

Thanks for sharing this. I nudged the support team again. :)

Please contact the support team directly if you need help or want to raise the issue right now.

Cheers for nudging it. There's not much point in contacting the support team unless they actively developed the software. As I mentioned in a PM to you, it would be useful if Huawei offered a bug tracker. The second handset I've updated also has issues with touch support (it goes AWOL) which is completely unacceptable.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all,

Thank you for your information, I will inform further our developers department for a proper review of this issue. The moment there is a clear solution or troubleshooting i will update the topic with it.
Meanwhile if you prefer and the issue still persist, I will recommend you to contact us on our hotline at 08000886700 and have a better check with our technical support team.
Also you could try a backup and a factory reset to see if the issue still persist.

Have a great day!

Best,
CharlieT. 💡😉
Userlevel 4
I will inform further our developers department for a proper review of this issue.

Thank you for the eventual reply. Which issue out of the dozen raised?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi @Piers

Thank you for your reply as well. Rest assure the case is escalated, as soon as we will have an answer I will updated the topic.
Hope it helps.

Have a nice weekend!:)

Best,
Charlie T.💡😉
Userlevel 4
Hi @Piers

Thank you for your reply as well. Rest assure the case is escalated, as soon as we will have an answer I will updated the topic.
Hope it helps.

Have a nice weekend!:)

Best,
Charlie T.💡😉

One update later and a month since the initial post and all issue persist. Most of them are small issue but still quite problematic and make the UX bad. How many people does Huawei employ in its UX team?
Userlevel 1
What update are you on as I don't have these issues