Question

NCK code - Unlock code

• 1 March 2019
  • 20 replies

Hi, I purchased a Huawei P20 Lite from a 3rd party. The phone is on EE network so I've contacted them several times over the last month to obtain the unlock code. They've informed me that Huawei have told them the phone is unlocked. However, everytime I place my sim card in it asks for a NCK code and I have 10 attempts to get it correct.
Any advice please.
Thanks John.

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @Girdwood

I wouldn't bother with the carrier. There are quite a few offering unlock on eBay. I just searched for "p20 lite unlock" and the cheapest was £1.94.

You usually send them your IMEI number and they return you a code in a few days.

This is what I did for my P20 Pro.

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
No worries. For waht it's worth, I've used ebay for unlock codes for years and never had a problem.

Cheers
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
The user on this thread seems to have the same issue with unlocking their phone from ee: https://uk.community.huawei.com/mate-20-series-20/unlocking-headset-locked-to-ee-5095

from what i have seen on other forums, there are users who have dual sim phones on EE (which in theory should be originally kept unlocked as standard) who also have difficulty in getting it unlocked since it is allegedly network locked to ee.
Hi, I've a P20 Lite which is locked to EE.
EE have attempted to obtain a NUC from Huawei but have been unsuccessful after 2 months of waiting. I emailed Huawei myself and they assured me they would generate a code.1 month down the line I'm still waiting.
Anyone any suggestions? I am aware that I can purchase a code from eBay at the tune of £20 .
Thanks for any advice
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @Girdwood

Gosh, EE is expensive! this guy:

gsm.unlocking

Is doing it for £12.95. A bit cheaper...

Cheers

Steve
Cheers once again. £12.95 is easier to bear
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
😁
@icharsue £42.99 ... for an unlock code? wow... that's steep!

I just received a P20 lite that I got off eBay, supposedly it is meant to be unlocked. If I put a SIM in, it asks for NCK code, 10 attempts to go 😣
As it also has an app called 'My EE' installed on it, even after a factory reset, does that mean it is locked to EE?
Sounds like this is going to be a pain to sort out, and wonder if I should try get it refunded rather. My daughter is not going to be happy if I go that route.
Thoughts? I wonder if GSM.Unlocking will be able to handle it... but I'm not paying £42+, that's hectic. :-\
@rfc1795 you can try the cheaper option for £12.95 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-P20-Pro-P20-P10-Lite-P9-Lite-Mate-10-Y7-UNLOCK-CODE-UK-EE-TMOBILE-ORANGE-/302734280788?txnId=1642355837020

I would contact the seller and ask them to obtain the code from EE or a seller at their cost as the item is not as described.
If they get funny I'd just raise a dispute as eBay normally favours the buyer (even when wrong from experience as a seller!).

I only went the route I did as mine was a problem device and could not get unlocked via EE, Huawei and flagged up as a device under 6 years old (it's 2 years old this August 2019!)

Hope you get it sorted
Finally managed to obtain a 16 digit unlock code via eBay seller GSM.UNLOCKING at a cost of £42.99.

First tried their cheaper £12.95 unlock service but the seller came back 2 days later with response that device was less than 6 months old (it's not as it will be 24 months old this August 2019), auto refunded me and advised to use their service for all Huawei Phones including those under 6 months old, ordered last Friday and received today Wednesday, done in 4 days what EE and Huawei failed to do in 4-5 months!

It will give me great pleasure when I ring EE next month as I come to the end of my contract and request my PAC code to take my existing number and change network.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
No, mine is a single SIM model.
It was originally unlocked in October 2018 by EE, but following a repair by EE in November 2018 to fix a GPS issue where they replaced the main board which effectively re-locked the device, when attempting to re-unlock in December 2018 via EE is where it all went down hill.
I believed it was because of the main board replacement but now reading all these similar experiences from other poor souls it's clear there is a issue between EE and Huawei.
My contact ends in August 2019 and it appears I will be buying an unlocked Samsung or other device to allow me to move elsewhere as I feel very let down by EE after been with them for over 10 years back from Thier days as Orange, and let down more so by Huawei who seem to have some hidden agenda as to why they are failing their customers.
My Huawei P10 will be my first and last Huawei device!

next time you are better off contacting the official huawei service centre directly where they will arrange to collect your phone rather than through EE (with EE i think they send it to their own approved repairers to have it repaired).
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey all!

We're sorry about the situation with the Network Unlock Codes!

To find out more about this please contact our hotline: 08000886700

Kind regards,
Max
Hi,

I recently purchased a P20 Pro network locked to EE. I called EE requesting an unlock code, paid, and was told it could be up to 10 days. However on the 9th day I received a text from EE saying that they could not provide an unlock code as they had been informed by Huawei that the phone is fully unlocked. I've taken the phone into an EE store and they have confirmed that the phone is indeed locked but as they rely on receiving the code from Huawei they can provide no further assistance.

I have contacted customer services via online chat but have now been waiting 6 weeks with no joy.

How can I best, quickest get my device network unlocked?

Thanks,
Colin.
Thank you.
I've contacted the hotline and have been reliably informed the issue lies with EE.
Contacted EE and they are dealing with it. Apparently, they have to request a code from Huawei in China. Hopefully, I'll get it sooner rather than later.
Thanks
John
Colin, I am pretty much in the same boat. Unfortunately, I've been waiting nearly 6 weeks for Huawei support to process an unlocking code. I've sent 6 emails to be told I'll be informed when a code is processed, the wait continues. If a phone shop or eBay outlet can obtain a code for me from Huawei ( at a cost ), why does it take so long for Huawei to produce one?
@Girdwood I've had an email from Huawei customer services today to say all unlock requests were cancelled 4th March due to GDPR. He was unable to tell me why the online chat customer service people have been telling me that it was in progress as a priority. He said that the only way to get an unlock code now is from the network provider. What you do when Huawei tell the network provider that the phone is fully unlocked already I have no idea.
Very peculiar, I've sent another email today, do hopefully they'll inform me one way or the other. Fingers crossed.
Thanks Steve,
I'll give this a try instead of going through the carrier. The only reason I was doing this is it was moderately cheaper and I assumed if anything went wrong then I had more chance chasing EE than someone on eBay. Cheers
Had the same problem with EE and Huawei in December 18 to April 19, where EE requested the unlocking code several times from Huawei, each time claiming Huawei advised that the device was already unlocked.

I too had to go to an EE store to prove with 2 non-EE sim cards that it was not unlocked as it was like speaking to a brick wall with EE, even with email proof and multiple calls this was necessary!

Ruined trip to Thailand as couldn't use phone with local sim, EE handled the whole process and the resulting complaint really poorly from start to finish, tried multiple times to close off the complaint as resolved and buy me off with redress payments!

In desperation I emailed Huawei several time and received the following:
Jan 19.
Shopping list of conditions to be able to help and to provide Huawei with:
  • phone number
  • MAID number
  • IMEI number
  • Serial number
March 19.
After exhausting all options with EE I then provided Huawei with the above details, after which I received the following response from Huawei:
"At this moment we cannot provide the unlock code anymore due to GDPR, but I have already forwarded this to the proper department and we will try to offer the most suitable solution as soon as possible."

April 18.
After hearing nothing from Huawei, I chased this up and received the final unhelpful response from Huawei:
"I am sorry for the delay, I have checked the response we received and we cannot generate the code for your device.
I am sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your understanding !"

Ultimately my complaint with EE went to the Ombudsman after receiving a Deadlock letter, EE waved their Terms and conditions stating they don't guarantee they can unlock a handset, redressed me £75 plus the original unlocking fee, and to this day I have a Huawei P10 Plus that I can't use on any other network than EE.

Thanks EE, Thanks Huawei!!!

Guess my next phone will be a Samsung!
No, mine is a single SIM model.
It was originally unlocked in October 2018 by EE, but following a repair by EE in November 2018 to fix a GPS issue where they replaced the main board which effectively re-locked the device, when attempting to re-unlock in December 2018 via EE is where it all went down hill.
I believed it was because of the main board replacement but now reading all these similar experiences from other poor souls it's clear there is a issue between EE and Huawei.
My contact ends in August 2019 and it appears I will be buying an unlocked Samsung or other device to allow me to move elsewhere as I feel very let down by EE after been with them for over 10 years back from Thier days as Orange, and let down more so by Huawei who seem to have some hidden agenda as to why they are failing their customers.
My Huawei P10 will be my first and last Huawei device!