Answered

No Swipe Down Preview Since update 30/July 2019

HUAWEI Mate P20 Pro

Since the update on 30 July 2019 when the phone is locked and I receive a message I open the phone and swipe down but there is no preview, if a message is received when the phone is open and I swipe down I get the preview as normal, but as I said if the phone is locked when opened the notification is there but no preview of the message

Don't confuse this with lock screen notifications, this is preview from swipe down after the phone is unlocked, all you can do is open the notification to see what the message was, but if the phone is in use the preview is there, this is the same with all chat apps, WhatsApp, messanger, emails etc and only began after the update yesterday

All setting were fine and are fine, it's set to show but doesn't anymore
icon

Best answer by DamienCogginUK 5 August 2019, 15:36

I've figured it DonoLee

You must have the same protection settings as me.

When you unlock your phone you have apps set to unlock with your face, works fine with preview, but not since that update the other day, I've spent ages thinking what was wrong or what I had most didn't, soo clicked the face to unlock certain apps, once I went back to that setting and allowed my chat apps to open without seeing my face it worked again, so it must be a security change that doesn't allow you to preview info if you have the app lock on, no need to factory reset, shame Huawei don't know this even exists lol

So search App Lock and unlock the apps you want to preview in the dropdown screen

I had it set so I can pass my phone to friends or family to make a call or anything but it stops them form opening my chat programs by mistake unless it saw my face, now I can't have that but I do have my previews back 😜

View original

14 replies

Huawei support says it's not something they implimented in the update but may be an android update, they recommend a factory reset.

Any problem I have had with my Mate 20 Pro the solution has always been a factory reset, there seems to be too many who don't know how to fix a problem so all they can say is Factory Reset, thats not a solution, that's a last resort.
Userlevel 5
Badge
So sorry to hear this @DamienCogginUK but I'm not experiencing any of the issues you are mentioning.

Something that I always do (something I was told a few years ago) and maybe worth a try for you is:-

• Go to the Google Play Store
  • Click on the three horizontal lines in the top left corner
  • Once you have clicked on this, then click on "My apps & games"
  • With "My apps & games" open, refresh "No problems found"
  • Wait for this to finish and once completed, then click either "Update all" or refresh "No updates available"
These steps I was told will update/re-sync all your App's with the latest update. Some people don't have updates set to auto update, so this refresh is also worth doing either weekly, fortnightly or monthly just to keep your phone and App's up to date.

Hope this my help you Damien
Thank you for the suggestion, this only checks for malicious apps that violate googles unwanted software policy by hiding or misrepresenting important information.

I tried it anyway and no luck, even coming on here if my finger print isn't detected ont he first of the 5 attempts it will not fill in the login info, if it detects my finger on the second or third attempt it won't supply the details, only if the finger print is detected on the first attempt does it full in the login details, this means I have to refresh the page to being back the first login attempt after a failure, or remember my login details for every site it's saved 🤔😂

Thins phone has a few good features but the bugs are never ending and if you have to keep factory resetting when you come across them it's a joke 😜
Userlevel 5
Badge
How long have you had the phone @DamienCogginUK?

It seems strange that you are having all these issues as I've not encountered what you say.

The closest I've come if my thumb was slightly damp and it takes a couple of attempts to use use the fingerprint but that was in the early days before I went over to facial recognition and since then, the phone opens all the time.

If these issues keep occuring after resetting the phone, have you spoken to support to see if could be replaced under warranty?
I've had the phone from day 1, I got it pre release with the free watch, I've factory reset it over 10 times as the faults I have which many have are not fixable, only a reset works, I repair Comouters and Neerowrks for a living and if I went to every job and just said Format the system my business wouldn't last long at all.

Many have faults with their phones and it needs someone else who has had the bug since the update and found a fix to reply or its going to be yet another factory reset, I am a teckno junkie so I am aware some have systems have zero problems and some have machines that just pull up bug after bug, I need a fix for the bug that the update caused wether it's by Huawei or Android/Google and in my experience (which varies from person to person) the phone I have had has been a repeat nightmare.

PS I also use the facial unlock which is great but that does not work for some websites that need a finger print which my phone messes up 99% of the time, oh it will recognise my finger print on the second or third attempt on any finger but then it's passed the first attempt so it won't fill in the information, me and this phone have had such fun together since we met 😂

So although I appreciate your imput I need to know if anyone else that has had this bug has found a fix before I have to factory reset again!
HUAWEI Mate P20 Pro

Since the update on 30 July 2019 when the phone is locked and I receive a message I open the phone and swipe down but there is no preview, if a message is received when the phone is open and I swipe down I get the preview as normal, but as I said if the phone is locked when opened the notification is there but no preview of the message

Don't confuse this with lock screen notifications, this is preview from swipe down after the phone is unlocked, all you can do is open the notification to see what the message was, but if the phone is in use the preview is there, this is the same with all chat apps, WhatsApp, messanger, emails etc and only began after the update yesterday

All setting were fine and are fine, it's set to show but doesn't anymore

Hi Damien,

Thank you for sharing this issue.
Actually I am having exactly the same problem with my P20 Pro.

Even if I mentionned to SHOW PREVIEW when lock, it only says 1 message.
Normally it should display, the sender and the message preview.

That is annoying and I am not having the fixed solution to that.

It happened to me since last EMUI 9.1 update done on the 31/07/2019.

If you come across how to solve that, please do share with me.

Thanks.

PS: YES, FACTORY RESET IS NOT THE SOLUTION TO THAT. LOL
I've figured it DonoLee

When you unlock your phone you have apps set to unlock with your face, works fine with preview, but not since that update the other day, I've spent ages thinking what was wrong or what I had most didn't, soo clicked the face to unlock certain apps, once I went back to that setting and allowed my chat apps to open without seeing my face it worked again, so it must be a security change that doesn't allow you to preview info if you have the app lock on, no need to factory reset, shame Huawei don't know this even exists lol

So search App Lock and unlock the apps you want to preview in the dropdown screen

I had it set so I can pass my phone to friends or family to make a call or anything but it stops them form opening my chat programs by mistake unless it saw my face, now I can't have that but I do have my previews back 😜

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@DamienCogginUK - glad you were able to find what the issue was. I've marked your response as 'best answer' to help others, but will also leave it flagged for the support team to look into and feedback to the dev team .
I've figured it DonoLee

Thank you @DamienCogginUK ,

I am having the exact same settings, however I still cannot see my previews on my notification bar.
I may have miss some steps.

I actually use fingerprint and face recognition, should I tick the "Access App Lock" on both security level?
And in App lock setting, should I tick the messages app; like whatsapp/messenger or leave it blank?

I able to see the previews only if I remove the apps from '"App lock".

Guide me through this please.

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi all!

Thank you for messaging us, we are always here to help you!

I would strongly suggest to check @DamienCogginUK's comments, as he figured out a way to solve your issues.

Also, I've sent this issues to the development team so they can have a deeper search on these cases.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
Hello all,

I'm having the exact same issue and it is very annoying.
I can no longer see previews from lock screen notifications nor previews from the drop-down notification status bar. My phone updated to the latest version this morning and all these issues started ever since.
It is very time consuming going in to every app to see who sent the message and what it says (Facebook, Instagram, Gmail, WhatsApp).
In some cases I am able to see previews from the drop-down menu and sometimes it just says 1 message in WhatsApp, I don't know why it does that.
I do have activated face recognition for app lock on several of my apps, and I do not feel comfortable disabling it in order for me to be able to see notification previews.
I really miss just flipping my phone over and looking at it to see my message previews with face recognition without having to unlock my phone completely. I do not know what to do 😢
Here is a screenshot of the face recognition settings.... It doesn't work anymore

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Vtm as you are still having issues, can I recommend you send BarneyT a private message for further assistance,
Hi all,

I am having the same issue. I do not want to de activate my app lock either

Thanks

D
This is bullshit, just allow us the option to select if notifications are hidden or not if app lock is active.