Answered

Notification Handling on Huawei Phone with Android Oreo or Pie

• 5 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi everyone,

So I noticed something on Samsung Galaxy phones (with Oreo Version 8 and maybe also the Pie version 9).

So imagine the following scenarios:

Scenario 1 –
1a - You have 5 unread messages on whatsapp (so a 5 on the top right corner of the app icon);
1b - You open the app;
1c – You don’t read any messages;
1d - When closing the app the 5 disappears making it impossible to know that you have unread messages unless you open the app;

Scenario 2 –
2a - You have 5 unread messages on whatsapp (so a 5 on the top right corner of the app icon);
2b – From the lock screen you dismiss the whatsapp notification;
2c – When returning to the phone menu you no longer see the 5 and can only see you have unread messages by entering the app;

So my question:
Does this also happen with Huawei phones?

Thanks! 🙂
icon

Best answer by AlexL 5 February 2019, 22:15

Hi, yes my Mate 20 Pro (on Android Pie) and other Huawei devices running EMUI 9 and Android Pie 9 will indicate I have an undisclosed number of unread messages. For more details, long press on the app icon. This will show how many new messages there are (plus other shortcuts) without going into the app and without changing its visibility. Once you open the app these top level badge notifications reset but the WhatsApp chat badge notifications will still indicate how many unread messages there are for each group until you open them.

When you dismiss from lock screen these badge notifications will also reset, but won't affect unread status.

I hope this helps.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi, yes my Mate 20 Pro (on Android Pie) and other Huawei devices running EMUI 9 and Android Pie 9 will indicate I have an undisclosed number of unread messages. For more details, long press on the app icon. This will show how many new messages there are (plus other shortcuts) without going into the app and without changing its visibility. Once you open the app these top level badge notifications reset but the WhatsApp chat badge notifications will still indicate how many unread messages there are for each group until you open them.

When you dismiss from lock screen these badge notifications will also reset, but won't affect unread status.

I hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
@AlexL thank you for taking the time to explain this to me...dont know if it's cause I'm tired but sorry I got confused lol When opening the app the badge with the number of unread messages dont disspear? Only if you dismiss from the lock screen? Is that it?
Userlevel 3
Badge
@AlexL thank you for taking the time to explain this to me...dont know if it's cause I'm tired but sorry I got confused lol When opening the app the badge with the number of unread messages dont disspear? Only if you dismiss from the lock screen? Is that it?

Once app is opened, the homescreen badges will disappear. To avoid this, long press on homescreen icon instead of opening the app. Chat badges will stay until you read the chat.
Userlevel 3
Thanks @AlexL that was helpful to me too. I normally answer my Whatsapp right away when it pops up as I have kids and mostly use it with them so this hasn't really affected me but it's handy to know!
I did not receive notification on lock screen on my Y9 2019. Not from all application messages whatsapp and any kind of notification of applications i did not see on lock screen please give me the solution of this problem