Answered

Notification Sound Resets - Mate 20 X

• 23 April 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello,

On my Mate 20 X, in Settings > Sounds > Notification, if change my default notification from Whistle to something else, after a few hours, maybe less, it changes back to the Whistle sound. If I reboot, this also makes it reset to the Whistle sound. I checked for software updates and it says "Your software is up to date". How can I make it keep the sound I choose?

Thanks,

Device Name: Mate 20 X
Model: EVR-L29
Build Number: 9.0.0.192 (C636E3R1P11)
EMUI Version: 9.0.0
Android Version: 9
icon

Best answer by benodiktine 5 May 2019, 03:11

@Max Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I was finally able to fix the issue by following the directions at this website:

https://www.slashdigit.com/clear-reset-default-notification-ringtone-picker-android/

The steps I followed we're under the section named "Reset app preferences to reset notification and ringtone picker"

For my phone it was a little different, I went to Settings > Apps > Apps (this is the difference, there's an "Apps" inside "Apps") > vertical ellipsis > Reset app preferences.

After doing this, the problem was gone so I knew it was an app causing the issue. I narrowed it down to an app called Sound Profile which had the "whistle" notification sound set, I changed it to what I wanted and all is good now. So it was not an issue with the phone. The Sound Profile App was set to use a specific sound and that was the cause, not the Apps fault but I don't know how or why it was set this way.

Thanks again,

Ben
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @benodiktine, welcome to the community!

We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have encountered.

Please try wiping the cache partition in order to solve this!

Here are the steps:
1. Turn the device off completely.
2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".

Note: Please make sure to select Wipe cache partition, and not Wipe data/factory reset - the latter will erase all data on the internal storage of the device.

Let us know if this was helpful!

Cheers,
Max
@Max Thank you so much for your quick reply! Unfortunately, after following your steps to wipe the cache partition, the problem returned hours later.

I just got the phone a week ago. During initial setup I made a mistake so I decided to reset my phone and start over by going to Settings > System > Reset > Reset Phone. I mention this because I know a reset is often a suggestion to fix issues with Android phones. Seeing as the phone was reset so recently, I don't think a reset would help, I could be wrong.

Anyway, if you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! It's really annoying to have to change my notification sound every few hours. :-(

Thanks,

Ben
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @benodiktine, welcome back!

We're sorry that the clear cache partition didn't fix the issue!

We understand that you would not like to perform the factory reset, but we strongly suggest doing it in your case.

Here you can find the steps for it: https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-a-question-faq-s-3/having-problems-with-your-device-try-to-reset-your-phone-1205

Let us know if this helped!

Max
@Max Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I was finally able to fix the issue by following the directions at this website:

https://www.slashdigit.com/clear-reset-default-notification-ringtone-picker-android/

The steps I followed we're under the section named "Reset app preferences to reset notification and ringtone picker"

For my phone it was a little different, I went to Settings > Apps > Apps (this is the difference, there's an "Apps" inside "Apps") > vertical ellipsis > Reset app preferences.

After doing this, the problem was gone so I knew it was an app causing the issue. I narrowed it down to an app called Sound Profile which had the "whistle" notification sound set, I changed it to what I wanted and all is good now. So it was not an issue with the phone. The Sound Profile App was set to use a specific sound and that was the cause, not the Apps fault but I don't know how or why it was set this way.

Thanks again,

Ben
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Ben,

Thank you for sharing this on the community! 🙂
First hauewi phone and my last.
Just figured how to use the software
and now it's peeing me off
It has changed my ringtone and when I change it to another it just reverts back to this crap new ringtone. Also don't like the volume changes.
The developers should have warned us that there would be a change etc...
Going back to my old Sony.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Mad_Sharon - sorry you're not happy with your purchase. I moved your post here as others had the same issue with the ringtone. Hopefully the answer helps you too.

Hey @benodiktine, welcome to the community!

We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have encountered.

Please try wiping the cache partition in order to solve this!

Here are the steps:
1. Turn the device off completely.
2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".

Note: Please make sure to select Wipe cache partition, and not Wipe data/factory reset - the latter will erase all data on the internal storage of the device.

Let us know if this was helpful!

Cheers,
Max