P10 (plus) software updates

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

152 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I'll just leave this here..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-46465438

Anyone recommend a smart phone manufacturer, apart from Samsung and Apple?
Totally different ball game that link is nothing to do with Mobile phone updates.If you want a phone that gets regular updates get a OnePlus..
Completely agree. I was merely pointing out the type of company Huawei are being perceived to be.

Please keep the thread on topic. Thanks!
Have had P10 Plus for over a year. No updates since Jan2018, still on Android 7. Need Oreo functions, and security updates.

Phone was EXPENSIVE, but not supported by H?

Disappointed, to say the least.
Userlevel 2
Have had P10 Plus for over a year. No updates since Jan2018, still on Android 7. Need Oreo functions, and security updates.

Unfortunately Spoder, Huawei stopped caring after P10's release. You'll get no support from them here.

Unfortunately Spoder, Huawei stopped caring after P10's release. You'll get no support from them here.

Correction: Huawei stopped caring about non-Chinese users of the P10 after release. Apparently in China they are still providing monthly security updates as expected and have already rolled out Pie.
Userlevel 2
No suprise there than.
I love my P10 phone but I am beyond frustrated that I haven't had any updates on my phone since September 2017 none at all. I am in the UK on Vodafone who have stated Huawei haven't sent them any updates so they won't be providing them at all in the future.
From what I am reading it may be Vodafone holding back the updates?
I don't believe my phone to be secure at the minute due to the amount of updates I should have received and from everything I have read online my phone should have received android 8 by now.
This is my first Huawei phone and while I love it I am not having the best impression of it.
I am just feeling incredibly frustrated that something that has always been so easy on my other phone brands is so difficult on Huawei and I wish it wasn't as I love this phone.

Any advice?
I love my P10 phone but I am beyond frustrated that I haven't had any updates on my phone since September 2017 none at all. I am in the UK on Vodafone who have stated Huawei haven't sent them any updates so they won't be providing them at all in the future.
From what I am reading it may be Vodafone holding back the updates?
I don't believe my phone to be secure at the minute due to the amount of updates I should have received and from everything I have read online my phone should have received android 8 by now.
This is my first Huawei phone and while I love it I am not having the best impression of it.
I am just feeling incredibly frustrated that something that has always been so easy on my other phone brands is so difficult on Huawei and I wish it wasn't as I love this phone.

Any advice?

It is definitely not Vodafone that is holding back the updates. It is 100% Huawei.
Huawei release regular monthly updates and have already released Android 9 to their Chinese customers.
The best advice is to avoid Huawei in the future, their phones are fantastic but their support is focused only on their Chinese customer base.
But then why have 02 customers started getting the updates??
But then why have 02 customers started getting the updates??
The P10 has been out for two years and O2 customers have only just started getting updates? I guess that's a bit of a double-edged sword, at least someone is getting the updates but it fuels the stock response from Huawei that the networks are the issue when that has been shown to be totally incorrect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hello all,

Regarding software updates: At the moment we cannot give support on software updates on the Huawei Community.

Waiting on a software update?
Please contact our support team directly. Phone the Hotline: 08000 886 700 Mon - Fri 09:00 - 21:00, Sat. 9:00~17:00 (Except bank holidays). The support team will create an update request for you, if possible. Are you outside the UK? Please contact the support team in your region.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Yeah I did that 6 days ago.....still nothing.
So Vodafone are blaming Huawei, Huawei are blaming Vodafone. I am sat in the middle as a consumer just saying "can someone just secure my phone" Vodafone claiming basically that the updates since 2017 aren't necessary so it's fine to save my phone as it is. So apparently over a years worth of updates were pointless? Who is getting paid to make up all these pointless updates then? Absolute joke as I am stuck in a contract with this and Vodafone claiming I can't come out of it as they don't control software updates and they can't get an answer from Huawei on when android 8 will be available let alone android 9. 🤦 What a farce it's really put me off Vodafone and Huawei.
Userlevel 2
Sadly I think you'll find P10 owners have given up on getting support over this issues. Also, you'll find, which is evident by @Amy latest post, that Huawei don't care.
To be honest I'm quite surprised that this thread has not been closed.
Hi all,
I persisted with phoning Huawei's UK help line. Today they told me as follows:

1) An update to Andrroid 8 was released for my P10Plus build number in December . . . .but . . .
2) For some unknowable technical reason it has failed to roll out
3) "Because of GDPR" HW will no longer push updates to individual handsets (I really don't follow how that can be connected to GDPR, and I have had to do GPDR training at work).
4) My handset can be upgraded if . . . I send it away to a service centre. Will be missing for 10 days.

I do specifically want advanced bluetooth codecs, which come with Oreo. I might have to do this. . .

Would Huawei merely replace it with a build number that does update ? Nope.

:(
Definitely never buying a Huawei phone in the future.
Userlevel 2
Hi all,
I persisted with phoning Huawei's UK help line. Today they told me as follows:

1) An update to Andrroid 8 was released for my P10Plus build number in December . . . .but . . .
2) For some unknowable technical reason it has failed to roll out
3) "Because of GDPR" HW will no longer push updates to individual handsets (I really don't follow how that can be connected to GDPR, and I have had to do GPDR training at work).
4) My handset can be upgraded if . . . I send it away to a service centre. Will be missing for 10 days.

I do specifically want advanced bluetooth codecs, which come with Oreo. I might have to do this. . .

Would Huawei merely replace it with a build number that does update ? Nope.

Definitely never buying a Huawei phone in the future.

GDPR could be effecting Huawei users in the EU if the software created, by Huawei are not compliant.

Quote taken from: -https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hipaajournal.com/upgrading-software-comply-gdpr/amp/

"Just like any other business, Europe’s software companies are themselves impacted by the advent of the GDPR. They must make sure that the software they create, together with the methods they use, are GDPR compliant. This is equally true for software companies which are based outside of the European Union, but engage in the processing the personal data of the citizens of EU member states. Obviously, businesses located outside the EU only have to comply with the GDPR when dealing with the personal data of EU residents."

Just saying...

Nevertheless, I will be giving Huawei a wide birth in the future.
Hi - thanks for that.

Perhaps then it is so, that HW would need to breach GDPR to send an update to my phone; let's give them that one.
It still leaves, though, the mild bafflement that - yes we have an upgrade ready for your build number, but er . . no, we can't roll it out OTA.

Shame - a lovely (and expensive) phone.

Spoder
I've been struggling with this issue, too. / P10 - security patch 2017 Nov - EMUI 5.1 - Android 7.0
I asked for a solution from my regional / local support team, and (long story short) they told me they can't make it happen. We switched emails for weeks and nothing, they even asked for my device details more than once because when a new supporter started to look into my issue, he couldn't read the backstack of our conversation. Frustrating ... I just entered the community to share this, and now I'm leaving and switching to another manufacturer.
I've been struggling with this issue, too. / P10 - security patch 2017 Nov - EMUI 5.1 - Android 7.0
I asked for a solution from my regional / local support team, and (long story short) they told me they can't make it happen. We switched emails for weeks and nothing, they even asked for my device details more than once because when a new supporter started to look into my issue, he couldn't read the backstack of our conversation. Frustrating ... I just entered the community to share this, and now I'm leaving and switching to another manufacturer.

Hi - can I ask what country you are in? I am UK based - wondering how many countries have been left off P10 upgrading. ta

Hi - can I ask what country you are in? I am UK based - wondering how many countries have been left off P10 upgrading. ta

Hi, I'm from Hungary, but somehow I managed to get a device from a local seller which is bound to Serbia so I contacted them also today, waiting for their response as a last resort.
On the contrary my colleague has a P10 also, and his firmware is quite up to date, Oreo with january security package. Pie is rolling out this month for these.
Cheers
Wow. Without over-doing it (it's not exactly Life or Death). But it's very disappointing. I paid A LOT for P10 Plus when it was a new model. Huawei couldn't seem to care less.

😞
Wow. Without over-doing it (it's not exactly Life or Death). But it's very disappointing. I paid A LOT for P10 Plus when it was a new model. Huawei couldn't seem to care less.

Yeah I know, it just feels dumb 🙂 I wasn't mad at first, because it can happen, but after iterating over the issue for a few times it's just stupid. I work in IT, and I feel like I've been let down as a customer (again, not crying in the corner, but it should be easier) E.g. the support teams don't know what versions are available for another region (as it turned out) which I can't really understand why. Anyway, if they fail to support this issue, I'm getting rid of the phone.
I did as Huawei's UK service line asked - waited for a padded envelope, sent the phone off to a service centre and indeed it returned fairly promptly with Android 8 installed. The whole process - phone call to return of phone was 2 weeks, without phone for 10 days. I can live without phone for 10 days.

Do now have what I wanted - advanced Bluetooth Codecs. 😶

So - a bit of a pain, but the right outcome.

Why could HW not deliver OTA? Ah well. .. . .
I bought my Huawei P10 Plus from Carphone Warehouse in May 2018, since purchasing the phone I have not had one software update and the phone is still running on Emui 5.1. I am getting concerned that there has not been a single update due to security issues, can anyone let me know of when an update is to be expected?

It is particularly annoying as my partner has the mate 10 and is running on emui 9.0 and I am stuck 4 generations behind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
At the moment we cannot give support on software updates on the Huawei Community.

Please take a look at this thread. I closed this thread to avoid double topics.