Question

P20 Pro owners on 9.1.0.311- does app store,nfc, google pay wirk?

• 19 August 2019
  • 10 replies

Just a quick question for the owners of mainly P20 Pro (but any Huawei will be helpful)...

Ive heard reports of this update breaking safety net and making the play store not work, also Google pay and potentially NFC capabilities stop working.

Any owners with it working/not working?

And can any Huawei support people confirm if the update "should" be safe to update to and everything should work ok?

EDIT (Please ignore the typo in the title, and app store should read "play store")

10 replies

Userlevel 1
@SwiftyRich the latest update is definitely not safe I've seen people with problems after the update with slow working phones battery drain and pop ups that don't go away including om my own phone. if only i could downgrade again to my older pie 9.0 that seemed to at least be somewhat functional. If only they gave us our bootload unlock codes.. would make life allot easier
my NFC has stopped working, customer services say I have to send it in for repair but they know it is the update
my NFC has stopped working, customer services say I have to send it in for repair but they know it is the update

Thanks for the reply...

As far as I know, Huawei warranty/repair is pretty poor compared to Apple and a couple other companies... I had an issue with an iPhone before and they sent a new one for a doorstep exchange... As far as I know, Huawei want your phone, then will keep it for a random amount of time (leaving you without a phone) then send it back....

Imo you're probably better off waiting for a new update where they'll hopefully fix whatever they did to break safety net and the numerous other issues
Thank you I can't wait for as long as they state anyway plus how can they fix it 😢 their reputation is going through the window 😢
Thank you I can't wait for as long as they state anyway plus how can they fix it 😢 their reputation is going through the window 😢

They had such a good chance to be one of the top players, I think their sales grew massively other the last couple years.. Seems like getting everyone on the bandwagon with great specs and good prices will all be for nothing if the software/firmware doesn't improve. So many people I've spoken to will be going back to Samsung or Google pixel after these recent updates.

I get the impression that each tweak to the firmware that's is supposed to be fixing something security related, is ending up messing up something elsewhere in the coding, it's almost as if a totally different company is trying to fix problems on software they didn't design themselves. An overhaul would be nice... But it's likely anyone on a pre p30 device will just get software designed for p30 and jammed in to a device it's not reeeally meant for... Similar to when apple updates used to break old phones because the firmware was meant for newer devices.

@fedupnita have you tried rolling back the firmware update via the hisuite program on pc? Ive never tried it myself, but customer services assured me I could rollback any firmware updates I do... Although I have heard this is mostly unsuccessful... And rolling back, if it does work, wipes data apparently. Worth a try if you wanna try and fix it yourself.

Well that rant went on for a bit... My bad.
I've flagged this issue but I haven't been given any advice on how to cure it, Google pay dosnt work and I can't use my fingerprint to sign in on any of my banking apps, shame really because prior to this it's the best phone I've owned, back to Samsung when my contract is up
I've flagged this issue but I haven't been given any advice on how to cure it, Google pay dosnt work and I can't use my fingerprint to sign in on any of my banking apps, shame really because prior to this it's the best phone I've owned, back to Samsung when my contract is up

Yeah same, possibly skip the S10 and wait for the S11 as a bunch of new nice touches are coming hardware-wise.
Google states:

What to do if your device isn’t Play Protect certified

If your device isn't Play Protect certified, we recommend contacting your device manufacturer. Ask for a fully tested, Play Protect certified device.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
All,

It seems members on a different thread are seeing this issue as fixed. Please check and make sure your devices are up to date and let us know if you're still having issues.

https://uk.community.huawei.com/p20-series-31/google-pay-issue-on-p20-with-9-1-0-311-6527
A couple of posters from Italy and Hungary are saying they have had an update which cures this problem, no sign of an update over in the UK though