Question

Screen Goes to Sleep While watching YouTube etc

• 8 June 2019
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Spelling error in title 'watching'

I noticed this on the Mate 20 Pro also and it's the same on the P30 Pro. When watching YouTube, reading emails, reading docs - any activity really. I have to constantly unlock my phone because the phones don't register that there's activity. It's even doing it now if I pause too long typing this. It starts to darken very quickly and if I don't tap the screen it goes black and locks.

Is there a setting that I am overlooking? Gestures isn't what I want. It's frustrating to have to keep tapping the screen since it then displays the UI for the app that I'm using.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi and welcome to the forums!
When watching youtube, you mean on the browser or on the app?

This can usually be solved by going to battery management settings and setting the app or browser to not go to sleep.

or you can toy around with the screen settings, the tutorial is here: https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/step-by-step-phone-guides.html?p=huawei_p20pro&a=how_to_change_the_screen_timeout_duration_on_my&province=ON

hope this helps!
Hi and welcome to the forums!
When watching youtube, you mean on the browser or on the app?

This can usually be solved by going to battery management settings and setting the app or browser to not go to sleep.

or you can toy around with the screen settings, the tutorial is here: https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/step-by-step-phone-guides.html?p=huawei_p20pro&a=how_to_change_the_screen_timeout_duration_on_my&province=ON
hope this helps!

Hi thanks. I have already set the screen time out as part of the troubleshooting, but it's also one if the first things I set on all my phones. Battery management is also a setting I look at including stopping the apps that run in the background to preserve mobile data and battery life.

It isn't actually the app or browser that is going to sleep it is the P30 Pro timing out to lock screen because the activity doesn't override time out. I am certain that if I set time out to 10 minutes the screen would fade to Black and then require my passcode to unlock it all the same. I am also certain that I could change all apps and the same would happen.

On my previous devices (not Huawei) the front camera was utilised to detect when the device was being looked at and this would stop the screen fading and locking. This seems feature appears to be absent
I'm having the same issue, driving me insane🤯 (for a £650 new phone, that is also unlikely to get important updates in the future - not the best start to my first huwaei device) so following this thread for a resolution to my screen locking when I'm doing anything (that doesn't require excessive touching of the screen) even video calls require me to constantly unlock the phone 😵
I work through the night and since it can get very quiet I was watching a film on my phone. I gave up in the end because the time out kept restarting the film from the beginning after unlocking it. I'm surprised there's no option to leave the phone on indefinitely