Answered

Software and Updates

Hi there. I have a Mate 10 Pro (C782). I bought this unlocked from Carphone Warehouse in the UK. I have a Three UK SIM only plan.

Firstly, when I put the Three SIM in the phone, it branded it to Three. I got the Three boot screen and their apps installed automatically. I did not request this, if I had wanted a Three branded phone I would have bought it from them.

Secondly, I am still on 1st December's security patch. I was told that the updates on this phone would be a minimum of every two months, what's gone wrong please?
icon

Best answer by Max 12 April 2019, 19:27

Hi @davefitzy ,

Sorry to hear of your experience with the Three network. Unfortunately there is no remote access or means by witch we can change the device so it may receive the sim free updates.
If you wish our UK support service can provide you with other options in regards to this matter. To contact them you may call at 08000886700 Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm, Saturday 9 to 5, or via online chat at consumer.huawei.com or via the email option also present on the same website.

Hope this helps,
Max
View original

17 replies

If the phone has 3 branded apps it may now be that you'll have to wait for 3 to ok the updates before you'll get them! Networks have to ensure the updates will work with their apps before they allow them through;
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Davefitzy, Welcome on the community!

Please take a look at this topic about software for some more information. 🙂
Hi Davefitzy, Welcome on the community!

Please take a look at this topic about software for some more information. :)

Hi Amy, thanks for replying.

I have read the topic you suggested. This essentially says that Huawei have sold a device as unlocked and SIM free that has updates controlled by UK networks, is that correct?

If that's the case, can you change my version/region from 782 to 432 so I actually get the SIM free experience and regular updates I paid for?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @davefitzy,

I've flagged this for the support team to look at, as they can provide a clearer response to your request.
Hi @davefitzy,

I've flagged this for the support team to look at, as they can provide a clearer response to your request.

I think I accidentally marked this as answered. Hopefully support will still pick it up.

Thank you very much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @davefitzy ,

Sorry to hear of your experience with the Three network. Unfortunately there is no remote access or means by witch we can change the device so it may receive the sim free updates.
If you wish our UK support service can provide you with other options in regards to this matter. To contact them you may call at 08000886700 Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm, Saturday 9 to 5, or via online chat at consumer.huawei.com or via the email option also present on the same website.

Hope this helps,
Max
Userlevel 1
Hi
I've got the same issue with the unlocked P Smart being branded to the first SIM card inserted. Again it is 3. Now get the 3 splash screen on start up and shut down along with 3 apps being installed, that I don't want.
Not on 3 anymore but still starts as a 3 branded phone. Quite annoying.
Chatted with Huawei Customer Services and been told it has been passed to technical and that a software update is needed to sort out the issue. Factory reset did nothing as 3 branding must now be embedded in the system.
If known about this problem then wouldn't have bought the phone as unlocked means unlocked not just at time of purchase. Not seen this with Samsung or Nokia or LG.
Hatter
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi,

Even though not active, I thought I chip in here.

@Max @Hatter @davefitzy @Danjl

This is a well known issue and nothing Huawei can or will do about it. I have raised this with Huawei, Three, CPW and CAB in UK and its all down to Huawei supplying a UK modified firmware on the devices for the phones, stating this was requested by the operators and nothing can be done about it.

The thing is that Vodafone UK sold the European model so not sure why ever else is selling UK modded version, even on Amazon it is the UK version. So not sure why Vodafone can do it and not others.
So if you bought the device anywhere in UK and it comes with C782 firmware then your screwed for updates.
I have this with my Mate 10 Pro (Dec 18 update) and P20 Pro (Nov 18 update) which now have not been updated for nearly 6 months. My Mate 10 Pro was also purchased sim free unlocked through CPW.
This has put me off buying another Huawei device and if users in UK rely on the security being upto date then they need to look at other devices that will provide updates monthly.
This is really annoying. As I understand it, the devices have the same hardware so there shouldn't be a problem in Huawei giving us the generic Europe software rather than the rubbish we ended up with.

What's also annoying is the Firmware Finder utility shows 3-4 newer firmwares that are approved for my device but no way to install them.

I'm also starting to regret buying this phone. Scurity updates were supposed to be regular, it was one of the reasons I bought a SIM free phone. Why should I have to have a worse experience buying SIM free than someone who bought from Vodafone?
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the info @walkerx.
Disappointed with Huawei. Like the phone but not getting it branded in an underhand way. Like I said with Samsung, Nokia and LG you don't get an unlocked phone branded.
Userlevel 1
Hi @davefitzy
Agree with you.
Definitely been conned when buying a Huawei. Unlocked and unbranded should mean just that.
As you said, Huawei should be capable of reflashing the phone software.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Hatter Yeh the hardware is brilliant, but the underhanded tactics for the software updates is bad, especially as when you buy sim free and unlocked you don't expect a mobile operator to rebrand it so looks like from them.
This is one reason why I've gone back to Google as I know the operators can't brand them and updates come from Google.
Like you I never had this issue with HTC, LG or Samsung, it only happened to Huawei.
Phones should never be branded by an operator whether on contract or sim free in my opinion.
You can rebrand the Huawei phones but it costs and you risk the issue of bricking the device.
Userlevel 1
Further to my previous comments, I decided to email the customer services team.
Well the response was quick and really helpful ...... The best answer has been marked for this topic by a moderator.
I take it as 'we've got your money so s*d off'. Such a shame as a really nice phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Hatter,

We marked this as best answer because at the moment there is no other answer. Best answers are shown at the top of the thread. By marking a comment as a best answer community visitors, people who read this, don't have to read the whole thread to figure out what they should do. In this case it's best to contact the service team and that's why that is marked as best answer.
I have downloaded a firmware from the assistance https://uaetechnician.ae/samsung-service-centre and now the system is working great.
Userlevel 1
Hi Amy
Understand your comments and not getting at you as you do a good job.

To me you need to be told at time of purchase that your phone will be 'branded' to whatever SIM is first inserted and that you are then stuck with this branding even if you change your network carrier.

You also have to put up with the carrier in installing their own apps. Yes, you can delete them but you shouldn't need to do this.

Updates are then done when the carrier releases them not Huawei.

It needs sorting or Huawei needs to change their marketing to inform customers of these issues as I'm sure it is mis-selling.

Thanks for your response.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Hatter ,

Thanks for your comments. Amy's off enjoying the Easter weekend, but I'll pass this on to team.