Sticky Answered

Waiting on a software update? Phone the Hotline

• 23 November 2018
  • 202 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Community Manager
  • 2360 replies
We are getting a lot of questions about software updates on the community. Please read the answer below if you have questions regarding software updates or if you are waiting for a software update. Want to start a new thread about software-updates? Please check our existing topics with the searchbar and in the list below. Double topics will be deleted. P30 Mate 20 Pro P20 Pro P20 P10 P10 Plus P9 P8 (lite) Mate 10 Pro Mate 9 Honor 9 (Lite) EMUI 9 (android Pie)
icon

Best answer by Amy 26 February 2019, 16:07

Waiting on a software update?
Please contact our support team directly. Phone the Hotline: 08000 886 700 Mon - Fri 09:00 - 21:00,Sat. 9:00~17:00 (Except bank holidays). The support team will create an update request for you, if possible. Are you outside the UK? Please contact the support team in your region.

At the moment we cannot give support on software updates on the Huawei Community.

It might take a while for an update to arrive due to the release of the updates in different and separate batches as the IMEI's are chosen randomly. Also, please be informed that another part that is important when receiving an update depends if the device is unlocked (SIM Free) or locked in a certain network (branded.) Therefore, some users might receive updates and security patches sooner than the others.

Sorry for the inconvenience
View original

202 replies

Userlevel 3
I'm sure it will be helpful for posters but more helpful would be someone responding to questions.

@Amy if I ask a polite, clear question here will you provide a helpful answer, whether directly or via the Research and Development Team (I assume they have replaced the often mentioned software team or is it just a rebrand)? Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi AndrewD71,

I created this topic to guide our forum members to check the different software topics that are already on the community. I try to make sure we don't get a lot of double threads.

We answer as many questions as possible. When the support team doesn't have an answer they make sure that the questions get to the right team, for example, the software -or R&D team. About the software updates: we don't have much information about these. The teams are aware that there are a lot of questions on the community. We read everything and when we get more info we will share it with the community asap.

With this community, we want to give Huawei users a place where they can talk to each other and find peer to peer support. This is not a support channel per se.
Userlevel 3
So that's a no then?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
So that's a no then?
So to clarify: if you ask a polite, clear question in one of the relevant topics you may get the help you are looking for, be that a response from a member of the support team or another community member. If you are looking for direct one-to-one support then maybe one of the other channels is better suited to you.

Sadly it's never going to be possible to give everyone an answer to every question that they are happy with, but you may find that the question you have has already been answered - which is why we have this community and why it has a search facility.

So that's a no then?So to clarify: if you ask a polite, clear question in one of the relevant topics you may get the help you are looking for, be that a response from a member of the support team or another community member. If you are looking for direct one-to-one support then maybe one of the other channels is better suited to you.

Sadly it's never going to be possible to give everyone an answer to every question that they are happy with, but you may find that the question you have has already been answered - which is why we have this community and why it has a search facility.

So to clarify: you won't get a better answer here than you will by any other Huawei support channel, you'll still get fobbed off with the "We are looking into it." or "It is coming in the next few weeks." platitudes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I'm a firm believer in managing people's expectations. Am I going to claim you'll get all the answers here? No, but what I will say is we will try and help. Amy and the support team do read your questions and will feedback when they can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks Tony!

We try to help and give answers when we can. If we can't help, we'll escalate it.
Userlevel 3
That @Amy is precisely the issue - things get 'escalated' but no information comes back. There are plenty of polite questions asked (and I know what a search function is by the way Tony) but all seem to get the same response i.e. get kicked into the long grass. This was the reason for my initial post on this thread - can a question actually get a useful answer from you or someone esle at Huawei that you 'escalate' it to and be fed back to members?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
H AndrewD71,

We are working on our feedback-loop and we try to get the answers - or even status updates back to the members of the community when we can. Unfortunately, even with the escalation procedure, it can take a while to get all the answers. And yes, I get that it can be frustrating when we can't give you a straight-up answer to your question. Wo do try our best to help you and we do follow up and try to push things internally.

Thank you for your feedback AndrewD71! I appreciate that you took the time to talk to us about this. The community is now almost 4 months old (young 😉) and we try our best to make this a place where you can interact, share knowledge and get inspired. We want to build this community together with all users so please, if you have any suggestions, feedback or questions regarding the community, leave a comment in this thread.
Userlevel 2
Well my mobile contract came to an end this week. I bought a Mate 9 just over 2 years ago. It was shipped on EMUI 5 (based on Android 7) and it was retired on EMUI 5 (based on Android 7). In 2 years I received 3 security patches ONLY. No firmware updates etc in that period.

I really like the look of the Mate 20, but I can't trust Huawei to support their premium devices. So looks like I will be moving to a OnePlus device, shame really. I know 1 person is insignificant, but I feel it pertinent to give Huawei some feedback and to share this information with potential customers.

Adiós
Userlevel 3

I really like the look of the Mate 20, but I can't trust Huawei to support their premium devices. So looks like I will be moving to a OnePlus device, shame really. I know 1 person is insignificant, but I feel it pertinent to give Huawei some feedback and to share this information with potential customers.

Adiós

Well said, if you care about software updates the advice is simple, don't buy a Huawei device. I left OnePlus only because I prefer a slightly smaller handset than they sell hence buying a P20. What a mistake that was...
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Amy can you please include a thread for Wareables (LiteOS) please? There are A LOT of threads with people who are experiencing LiteOS/WatchGT issues and will be curious as to when bugs will be fixed through updates.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Amy can you please include a thread for Wareables (LiteOS) please? There are A LOT of threads with people who are experiencing LiteOS/WatchGT issues and will be curious as to when bugs will be fixed through updates.

Thanks!

Hi MBDeaks,

Thanks for the feedback! Good idea, I will work on that but feel free to start the wearables overview thread yourself, if you want. 🙂
Userlevel 3
Can my Huawei Mate 20 Pro be added to this list

I was told and have read official huawei statements saying huawei flagship phones will get a update every month. Just wanted to see a road map or some where I can come to see what updates and things are being worked on in this phone

Also I saw on huawei post saying the Andriod November Security update was being pushed out this was 2weeks ago but it didn't say when we get it.
Some more info would be great
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Can my Huawei Mate 20 Pro be added to this list

I was told and have read official huawei statements saying huawei flagship phones will get a update every month. Just wanted to see a road map or some where I can come to see what updates and things are being worked on in this phone

Also I saw on huawei post saying the Andriod November Security update was being pushed out this was 2weeks ago but it didn't say when we get it.
Some more info would be great

Hi DelBoyJamie,

I added this thread to the list and I moved your new thread to that topic. Let's use this as the main Mate 20 Pro-update thread. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge
I think we just need a definite honest answer of who is delaying the updates and why are we being denied the updates that resolve the defects on our devices?

Is it the network operators (ie There is no pending updates for the P20 Pro (CLT-L29) on Three UK) or is Huawei.

Previously Huawei have stated it's down to the network operators not approving the updates, but Three have stated it's Huawei not providing the relevant updates, so who is providing the customers with the correct information.

Why is there no pending update for the CLT-L29 yet there is for the CLT-L09, other than the dual sim I can't see any other reason of why the updates are delayed or non-existent.

I've had more updates on my Pixel 3 XL in the last 3 weeks (already got the december 2018 security update) compared to the number of updates on my Mate 10 Pro and P20 Pro devices since February and April. I only switched to the Pixel due to the poor update schedule on the Huawei devices and if we were getting the updates every month like other countries then I would have been happy and would recommend the devices, but as is, I'm not happy and won't recommend them to anyone, especially for anyone who wants a device that is kept upto date by the manufacturers.

Why not be like Google and Apple and demand that the networks cannot request special builds or block/delay the updates to the devices. If you do this and provide the updates on monthly basis then your customers would be happy and would recommend your devices.
Userlevel 3
"I think we just need a definite honest answer of who is delaying the updates and why are we being denied the updates that resolve the defects on our devices?"

This. Not a lot to ask for is it @Amy and Huawei? Now for the silence or stock answer...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

I don't want to give you all a stock answer, but I really do not have any more info... If I had, I would share it with you but right now I don't have a definite honest answer.. I'm sorry! As told before, we are sending these topics and replies to the software team.

Please read this page on our website if you want to know in which order are the updates are released?
Userlevel 3
As told before, we are sending these topics and replies to the software team.

Please read this page on our website if you want to know in which order are the updates are released?

And thank you for doing so, but don't you think it's about time we, the comsumer had some feedback from the software team? Their inbox must be full to bursting by now!

As for the link it doesn't answer one of the most commonly asked questions here - why do UK versions of handsets seem to be so far behind with updates. We have the same hardware just for some reason some handsets have a different software build that receives minimal support.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Amy that link doesn't give us anything other than what we already know about what happens when an update is released.

We what answers on why our devices are months behind on updates compared to other regions and who is delaying the updates. Is it the network operators or Huawei?
There is actually a clue in that link. "randomly extracted batches of IMEI numbers" if truly mathematically random would mean that there are some IMEI numbers that will not come up for a very long time. Alternatively it could just be that the developer who wrote the algorithm was a bit lacking in mathematical ability and some IMEI numbers are actually impossible.
In any case it would appear that your best bet is to buy a lottery ticket and use the winnings to buy a phone from another manufacturer.
Userlevel 3
This is part of a reply I got from Huawei customer service (if you can call it that!) about this issue. Seems security updates aren't a priority if this is to be believed:

"Furthermore we have to inform you that the phone receives security updates only if a new risk comes up and for your model phone there is no new security patch available for now, that means we can not push the update on your phone as is none available for your phone model."

No update for the C782 version since September but the C432 version has had October and November patches. It must be a less secure device!
Userlevel 5
Badge
This is part of a reply I got from Huawei customer service (if you can call it that!) about this issue. Seems security updates aren't a priority if this is to be believed:

"Furthermore we have to inform you that the phone receives security updates only if a new risk comes up and for your model phone there is no new security patch available for now, that means we can not push the update on your phone as is none available for your phone model."

No update for the C782 version since September but the C432 version has had October and November patches. It must be a less secure device!

Totally agree that if the C432 model gets the update then there must be a risk so why aren't we getting it
Userlevel 3
Here's more comment from Huawei support that I received this morning:

"...please be informed that the C782 was designed for UK market and so the software architecture of devices differ from those designed for Europe, C432. As they function differently the UK version does not need so many patches."
Userlevel 5
Badge
Here's more comment from Huawei support that I received this morning:

"...please be informed that the C782 was designed for UK market and so the software architecture of devices differ from those designed for Europe, C432. As they function differently the UK version does not need so many patches."

@Amy that response is ludicrous, just because we are on the C782 model does not mean it needs less patches, it needs just as many - we all know about the various security issues with android and reason why google make the patches available every month, so why are we UK users being left vulnerable, with your devices.