Sticky Answered

Waiting on a software update? Phone the Hotline

• 23 November 2018
  • 206 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 2391 replies
We are getting a lot of questions about software updates on the community. Please read the answer below if you have questions regarding software updates or if you are waiting for a software update. Want to start a new thread about software-updates? Please check our existing topics with the searchbar and in the list below. Double topics will be deleted. P30 Mate 20 Pro P20 Pro P20 P10 P10 Plus P9 P8 (lite) Mate 10 Pro Mate 9 Honor 9 (Lite) EMUI 9 (android Pie)
icon

Best answer by Amy 26 February 2019, 16:07

Waiting on a software update?
Please contact our support team directly. Phone the Hotline: 08000 886 700 Mon - Fri 09:00 - 21:00,Sat. 9:00~17:00 (Except bank holidays). The support team will create an update request for you, if possible. Are you outside the UK? Please contact the support team in your region.

At the moment we cannot give support on software updates on the Huawei Community.

It might take a while for an update to arrive due to the release of the updates in different and separate batches as the IMEI's are chosen randomly. Also, please be informed that another part that is important when receiving an update depends if the device is unlocked (SIM Free) or locked in a certain network (branded.) Therefore, some users might receive updates and security patches sooner than the others.

Sorry for the inconvenience
View original

206 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
I think we just need a definite honest answer of who is delaying the updates and why are we being denied the updates that resolve the defects on our devices?

Is it the network operators (ie There is no pending updates for the P20 Pro (CLT-L29) on Three UK) or is Huawei.

Previously Huawei have stated it's down to the network operators not approving the updates, but Three have stated it's Huawei not providing the relevant updates, so who is providing the customers with the correct information.

Why is there no pending update for the CLT-L29 yet there is for the CLT-L09, other than the dual sim I can't see any other reason of why the updates are delayed or non-existent.

I've had more updates on my Pixel 3 XL in the last 3 weeks (already got the december 2018 security update) compared to the number of updates on my Mate 10 Pro and P20 Pro devices since February and April. I only switched to the Pixel due to the poor update schedule on the Huawei devices and if we were getting the updates every month like other countries then I would have been happy and would recommend the devices, but as is, I'm not happy and won't recommend them to anyone, especially for anyone who wants a device that is kept upto date by the manufacturers.

Why not be like Google and Apple and demand that the networks cannot request special builds or block/delay the updates to the devices. If you do this and provide the updates on monthly basis then your customers would be happy and would recommend your devices.
Userlevel 3
July 20th and UK P20 PRO still stuck on early buggy Pie build with December security patch.

Completely normal it seems for this crapstain of a company.

Gone from loving Huawei to hating them within the space of 2 months. Great job guys.
"Huawei warns it could take 5 years to address UK security concerns"

Well I guess that's when I'll expect the next security update then.
Oh well, bye bye Huawei, I'm off to Pixel land. If only there was some way I could let the whole world how bad Huawei are at supporting their devices for customers outside of China - only one update in two years when we were promised bi-monthly updates!
Userlevel 2
Yep.. December 2018 last security update on that years flagship p20 pro (c782)...please this is not acceptable

So that's a no then?So to clarify: if you ask a polite, clear question in one of the relevant topics you may get the help you are looking for, be that a response from a member of the support team or another community member. If you are looking for direct one-to-one support then maybe one of the other channels is better suited to you.

Sadly it's never going to be possible to give everyone an answer to every question that they are happy with, but you may find that the question you have has already been answered - which is why we have this community and why it has a search facility.

So to clarify: you won't get a better answer here than you will by any other Huawei support channel, you'll still get fobbed off with the "We are looking into it." or "It is coming in the next few weeks." platitudes.
Userlevel 3
That @Amy is precisely the issue - things get 'escalated' but no information comes back. There are plenty of polite questions asked (and I know what a search function is by the way Tony) but all seem to get the same response i.e. get kicked into the long grass. This was the reason for my initial post on this thread - can a question actually get a useful answer from you or someone esle at Huawei that you 'escalate' it to and be fed back to members?
Userlevel 2
Well my mobile contract came to an end this week. I bought a Mate 9 just over 2 years ago. It was shipped on EMUI 5 (based on Android 7) and it was retired on EMUI 5 (based on Android 7). In 2 years I received 3 security patches ONLY. No firmware updates etc in that period.

I really like the look of the Mate 20, but I can't trust Huawei to support their premium devices. So looks like I will be moving to a OnePlus device, shame really. I know 1 person is insignificant, but I feel it pertinent to give Huawei some feedback and to share this information with potential customers.

Adiós
Userlevel 3
Decided to check for update via HiSuite on PC for the first time in a while because I'm a masochist - still no update.

Shame on you Huawei.
In the News: It turns out Huawei will not be supplying security updates to Android OS due to US security concerns blocking Google from working with Huawei - so no change there then!
Userlevel 3
Well my mobile contract came to an end this week. I bought a Mate 9 just over 2 years ago. It was shipped on EMUI 5 (based on Android 7) and it was retired on EMUI 5 (based on Android 7). In 2 years I received 3 security patches ONLY. No firmware updates etc in that period.

I really like the look of the Mate 20, but I can't trust Huawei to support their premium devices. So looks like I will be moving to a OnePlus device, shame really. I know 1 person is insignificant, but I feel it pertinent to give Huawei some feedback and to share this information with potential customers.

Adiós

I've a feeling it won't be just one person. I have my first Huawei phone, P20 and don't get me wrong I love it. The speed, battery life, UI etc and the camera is amazing. But lack of updates and the amount of people I've seen complaining about the lack of them means that I will highly likely move to OnePlus after this one. The added issues with Google etc in the news doesn't help and makes me wonder if I would buy one again. Shame as it really is a fabulous phone and I'm hanging onto it for a few years at least, I just hope I will get updates in that time, if not I'll be off.
Userlevel 4
So I decided it was time to call these guys today after being stuck on the December update, I had contacted bia Twitter etc but got nowhere.

So I phoned and I have to say the persons attitude stank, I told her about the issue, C782 variants not getting update, she argued no such thing all European the same, very stand offish attitude and no help what so ever. So Huawei, You can stick you're phone and I do hope Google does a job on you.
Still stuck on December security patch, P20 Pro C782 which seems to be the strange cousin that no one in Huawei wants to talk about.

I have contacted Huawei CS about this. They promised an update. Never seen one. Having a 6 month Security lapse isnt funny. Neither are the bugs that still havent been sorted.

Im looking forward to the 9.1 update in 2022 too.
Userlevel 5
Badge
It did, but can't use Huawei widgets otherwise it will crash. I rarely use the phone now due to the dismal updates and risks both Huawei are Three are exposing us to.

I now use Google phone which gets updates every month.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Just seen on the TV a cyber security advert advising people to update devices regularly, chance would be a fine thing.
Userlevel 4
@Loveit you're really best calling the hotline about updates. Phone the Hotline: 08000 886 700 Mon - Fri 09:00 - 21:00,Sat. 9:00~17:00 (Except bank holidays). The support team will create an update request for you, if possible. Are you outside the UK? Please contact the support team in your region.

They're as useless as a chocolate teapot and won't tell you anything you don't already know. No one seems able to give an answer, shocking customer service, the polar opposite of Apple who can't do enough to help.
Userlevel 1
Huawei says that security is very important for them but we all knows that this is bul...t.
They are the worst company in terms of updates because they think that they will sell phones anyway so why bother with stupid security updates?
Userlevel 3
Called this number last week and they said there is nothing they can do. Still stuck on a buggy early Pie build with December security patch. Broken blue screen recents menu is what everyone wants to live with for months - right Huawei?

P20 Pro, UK three network. Bought phone as unlocked but still waiting on 3 to push me the updates now.

Fook You Huawei, this isn't good enough.
Userlevel 3
Nearly fookin August now an my £800 flagship phone is still on December security patch.

Absolutely disgraceful.
Userlevel 3
@Max Your team should hang their heads in shame.
Userlevel 1
Hi will the mate 20 lite get android 9.0 as they have it in China already ??? Thanks Danny
Probably never.... It's a joke. Never buying a huwaei device again
So... just phoned the number quoted and got exactly the same response I got five weeks ago on Facebook.... basically so sorry but tough you'll have to wait.... Presumably the Pentium II powered PC handling the updates is having trouble with it's dial up connection...
Very frustrating...
Userlevel 1
To be honest that's true. It is the worst company in terms of updates.
P20 Pro is my first Huawei phone and the last one. I'm still on November security updates, which is ridiculous.
My son have Samsung Galaxy s7 and his on March 2019 now. And his phone is 3 years old now.
Huawei phones should be banned in UK.
Userlevel 1
Never more Huawei devices... I wish I could get my money back... I'm going back to Samsung.... Too bad that I bought P20 Pro.... Anyone interested in buying one? Or replace for Samsung?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi AndrewD71,

I created this topic to guide our forum members to check the different software topics that are already on the community. I try to make sure we don't get a lot of double threads.

We answer as many questions as possible. When the support team doesn't have an answer they make sure that the questions get to the right team, for example, the software -or R&D team. About the software updates: we don't have much information about these. The teams are aware that there are a lot of questions on the community. We read everything and when we get more info we will share it with the community asap.

With this community, we want to give Huawei users a place where they can talk to each other and find peer to peer support. This is not a support channel per se.