Blog

Why I Should Update My Phone Software

Why I Should Update My Phone Software
15 Years ago, 2003 and Nokia 1100 ruled the world of mobile phones, a phone then could phone and if you were feeling adventurous you could also text your friends and family. This handset also had a flashlight (ooh), alarm (aahh), stopwatch and calculator( ummm), the early days of mobile phones! Well times have changed dramatically. Today the Huawei P20 Pro is the top phone and has many more features than devices of yesteryear.

Phones now can phone, text, skype, viber, WhatsApp, email, boomerang, take amazing pictures, do banking, book holidays and much, much more with so many applications available. So, it is easy to understand why todays devices get and need software updates. These devices we use today are much more complex than those devices we remember from our youth. (Damn I feel old!)

Why Is It Important to update
The phones we use now can do so much more and that is why it is important that we keep the software up-to-date. When you are using your phone and it pops up telling us there is an update and it asks to do it, or you can postpone it, it isn’t just the phone having fun, there is usually a reason for an update coming along.

It could be due to a known issue with the software or security and this is the fix for it and this is because sometimes those nasty people who write malware do so after they have identified a way through the operating systems of our devices and they look to exploit this for their gain. So, the update could potentially stop them doing this to you. It could also be that there are new or enhanced features for your device that would make it a better all-round experience.

It can be annoying constantly getting the reminders about updating the software, but if you remember that it is doing this for your benefit and to enhance the long-term experience of the device, then you can see why this should be done.

It may be easier ensuring auto-update is selected so your device will always be up-to-date (if that option is available) or make a mental note to check if your does not have this option.

Software updates are only for good, for your good! They are the light to the malware dark!

So please remember to update, if not for you, for your phone!

Edit:

Waiting on a software update?
Please contact our support team directly. Phone the Hotline: 08000 886 700 Mon - Fri 09:00 - 21:00, Sat. 9:00~17:00 (Except bank holidays). The support team will create an update request for you, if possible. Are you outside the UK? Please contact the support team in your region.

At the moment we cannot give support on software updates on the Huawei Community.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi WMCK,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I un-stickied the topic.

We are doing our best to get the updates to all devices asap. I will post an update about software updates in the thread above later today.
Hi Amy,

The content of Rick's blog is excellent, and serves as a reminder of why updating our device software is so important - Unfortunately the timing of the article, and its placement on the front of the community page, is questionable at best.

Perhaps if Huawei adequately addressed their customer concerns directly (within the thread shared above), we would see a reduction in the "hijacking" of potentially helpful articles like this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

Rick wrote this topic because there are users who receive updates but don't actually update their devices.

There are several topics on the lack of software updates. this topic is about the P10 software updates. Please post your replies on that matter there.
Whats the point with telling us how to upgrade .. waiting on 5 phones to update all simfree except one i have for work on ee through business
huawei should offer a service to folks with sim free no provider bloat or what ever goes on the contract ones

never again buying

This. 100% agree.

EMUI 8 been around since February 2018 - Still hasn't been "pushed" to my SIM free P10 Plus yet.

Why?
Userlevel 3
Whats the point with telling us how to upgrade .. waiting on 5 phones to update all simfree except one i have for work on ee through business
huawei should offer a service to folks with sim free no provider bloat or what ever goes on the contract ones

never again buying
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi GO_RAL,

Sorry to hear that you are still waiting on an update. As said, we are doing our best to get the updates to all users asap.
Userlevel 2
Lies, lies everywhere. I sent 2 emails to customer service about where are the updates form my p20. They lied two times that they will be soon i june and july. Im still on security updates from april!

My next phone wont be huawei
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Somebody,

Sorry for you inconvenience. I moved your other reply to this topic on Huawei P20 updates. We know that there are a lot of users waiting on an update and we are doing our best to get the updates to all users asap.
Userlevel 3
I this a joke?
I would love to update my phone but the UK has been totally abandoned by Huawei.
Whilst the rest of the word is 3 or 4 updates ahead I'm still the same version since the very first update!
Im not alone with this
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for sharing this Rick!