A new idea for Huawei phones. What do you think?

• 24 July 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Basically, if you want two people to watch/listen to media on one phone with headphones, you either have to share one set of headphones with one ear bud for each person, or have a headphone jack Y splitter to plug in two separate headphones.

For existing (firmware update?) and future Huawei phones with a 3.5mm headphone jack AND a USB C port for headphones use (eg: Mate 20 regular) Huawei can "enable" sound to pass through BOTH headphone ports at the SAME time. Something not currently possible on any smartphone I believe. A first for Huawei.

What do you think? Useful? No extra splitters needed.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I mean, why not? Having extra features preloaded, contrarely to what some *cough cough android purists cough cough*
claim, is not really a bad thing, especially if the hardware is there already.

It's a bit of a shame this literally only concerns the mid-range (P Smart/Lite line-up) to low-high-end devices (P20, Mate 20, Mate 20X, P30) and the "Pro" devices get left out.

What about bluetooth headphones though? Using paired FreeBuds & Type-C headphones at the same time? 🤔inbound samsung copies this 2 months after Huawei does it😂
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Oh yes that could work too! BT headphones and Type C headphones.

Yes having a hidden feature built in that does not detract from any hardware design is good I feel. It's there if you want to use it or not. One day it may come in handy.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I tested it the other day, ANC-3 and FreeBuds, wondering if it would work, sadly, to my great deception, it didn't. Even if a gimmick or a feature you might use once a year, it's still these little things that "improve" your overall experience and "enable a quality life", as EMUI likes to claim on their EMUI9.0 ads.
Meanwhile, Android purists can't even record their screen or take "scrollshots" without having to download separate apps... been nearly 3 years we can do these "basic" things on EMUI...

Is there any more information about this new feature? You mention "Huawei can enable", which I understand as, the support is there, but has to be enabled via, I suppose, a future update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Im surprised there isn't a Bluetooth hack to pair multiple headphones. Silent disco mode!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
It's purely a guess if they can enable it. It's either software or hardware related. I don't know which, but was basically pitching the idea out there for Huawei to consider implementing.