Google restricts Huawei's use of Android

Userlevel 2
https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I know not 100% confirmed yet. But is this why my p20 pro still has December security

180 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Jusy beat to me it, I was wondering the same.
Something is very odd about the whole situation
Userlevel 2
Its all strange. No updates. Everyone you mention sof***re up***e they delete it be put up message to call. Where you are told to send phone away for 10 working days. Which obviously everyone can do as they don't use their phone. ( That was supposed to be very sarcastic lol)
Userlevel 5
Badge
I've just spoken to three. Apparently the none security updates going forward is not an issue. I said sorry by my security is .

Im demanding an exchange from them
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Amy @Max any confirmation about that has happened and how it will affect current customers?
The press release says no device will be getting security updates going forward this correct?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Original source [Reuters] mentions nothing has been decided yet on Google's side:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-alphabet-exclusive/exclusive-google-suspends-some-business-with-huawei-after-trump-blacklist-source-idUSKCN1SP0NB

For now we shouldn't worry and just wait for an official confirmation from Google and/or Huawei.
Userlevel 1
This is worrying. If this is going to affect owners of existing devices then I'm probably going to return it as it will no longer be as described.
I just spent €800 2 days ago in a store for the P30 Pro and use Google for everything, my gmail, maps, photos, everything, Ill hopefully be able to get a receipt to return it too!!
Userlevel 4
Does this mean that my Huawei P20 Pro which I am not yet halfway through a 2 year contract with O2 and still have £300 to pay on the phone part of the contract. will now be worth nothing. If I want to sell it who's going to want to buy a Huawei phone now after this
Userlevel 4
https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I know not 100% confirmed yet. But is this why my p20 pro still has December security

This has just been on BbC News
Userlevel 4
Original source
[Reuters]
mentions nothing has been decided yet on Google's side:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-alphabet-exclusive/exclusive-google-suspends-some-business-with-huawei-after-trump-blacklist-source-idUSKCN1SP0NB

For now we shouldn't worry and just wait for an official confirmation from Google and/or Huawei.

Might be more official now. It just been on the BBC News
Userlevel 5
Badge
Wonder what this means for current customers?

I've just been reading. So we all have a brand new phone or at least a year old with no updates or access to play store. So that's goigkes fault. Are we going to get a refund off google for a new phone because huawei isn't running spyware like Google is? Where does that leave the customer? USA just want apple and Samsung to dominate the market. I call bull. I've just bought mine and I'm buggered of Google thinks they can block me out. We need a direct line to Google to give us all our money back or new phone. Like for like.
Userlevel 2
Im from UK. Just bought phone on 30 month contract....so shock by this development. Bloody US.

This is a time for Huawei to rapidly push out the updates they have to everyone in the UK So that we have the latest security updates they have. I'm P20 Pro with December 2018. Give us the April update being release elsewhere for example this device as an immediate short term solution to stop our new phones becoming worthless. No one will buy a phone with out of date security.

Next. Unlock the bootloaders again on your phones and let the community develop like what was happening over at XDA forums before bootloader was taken away.

Let the community in the short term fix this issue with the likes of a lineage OS with up to date security until this issue is worked out.

Give 3rd party devlopers access to camera API to retain the wonderful cameras on the phone. Let for instance porting of Google camera 2.0 be done by the community. Let for example FilmicPro be able to use your superior hardware and Tec to enhance the camera experience.

Huawei. I love your products. Let the developer community keep it alive before customers jump.

Be open with us . The USA restrictions on Google Android are fierce but the community likes an underdog who likes to fight.

This battle could go on for days months years even.
You make superior phones . I love my P20 Pro.

Instead of closing access to your phones software tech. Open it up to others. Be a market leader and not engage in a walled garden like Google or android.

Perhaps this is the new option to relying on Google or apple. How many phone manufacturers would love their own system. But that is a closed system for each manufacturer.

Have an open system on ASOP for instance. Show the world there is nothing to hide. A truly open phone operating system to all manufacturers.

Huawei please open source the software .but give us the latest updates first and we will be fine for a few months.
I'm only a quarter way through my 2yr contract. Really don't want to return my phone cuz I absolutely love it. Just got my family member a Huawei device as well. Hope it gets sorted.
I just purchased this a month ago. I hope my service provider will allow a phone exchange 😭
Userlevel 3
WTF Trump?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
On the BBC:

Google restricts Huawei's use of Android

Blimey I wonder what Huawei will do. I think Google has been the mouthpiece for the US for along time.

A new Huawei operating system to rival Google?

Watch this space....
Userlevel 2
Why no answer from Huawei themselves. On what they intend to do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Blimey I just had a thought. The reported issue is with the Chinese law that says companies must help the government if asked to do so and the fear is that this could lead to spying.

So does that mean Google will jettison all Chinese companies like Oppo, Vivo, Lenovo, Xiaomi, Oneplus?

As the Chinese say, may you live in interesting times...
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
From the little information currently available, both Huawei and Google are still discussing the situation, from my understanding, both together and separately. Huawei will provide a statement once they have somthing specific to say. Press statements can be found here:

https://www.huawei.eu/media-centre

On Google's side, not much either, appart from what has been published in the press. You can find a tweet from the Android team with what they know so far:

https://twitter.com/Android/status/1130313848332988421

So far, all we know is current customers will still have access to the Google Play Store, Google services such as Maps, Gmail, etc, and updates/apps from the Play Store. Currently no information on whether we'll continue receiving security patches or not, the few information suggests no unless Huawei figures out a different way to release them (whatever that means?). Future devices (as in, new models) should not have Google services on them, similar to how it works in China, where Google is banned and thus handsets come with their own store.
Userlevel 2
From the little information currently available, both Huawei and Google are still discussing the situation, from my understanding, both together and separately. Huawei will provide a statement once they have somthing specific to say. Press statements can be found here:

https://www.huawei.eu/media-centre

On Google's side, not much either, appart from what has been published in the press. You can find a tweet from the Android team with what they know so far:

https://twitter.com/Android/status/1130313848332988421

So far, all we know is current customers will still have access to the Google Play Store, Google services such as Maps, Gmail, etc, and updates/apps from the Play Store. Currently no information on whether we'll continue receiving security patches or not, the few information suggests no unless Huawei figures out a different way to release them (whatever that means?). Future devices (as in, new models) should not have Google services on them, similar to how it works in China, where Google is banned and thus handsets come with their own store.

Just read androids side. But as for security patches we don't get them at the minute anyway 🤣🤣 the Google apps thing is going to be the kicker. Read that Huawei has its own software in development so we could all be heading to that at some point
Userlevel 2
Badge
Article posted by Huawei Devices..
Google suspends Huawei’s Android/EMUI services support – Report.. http://bit.ly/2Ekz3lL
""...current Huawei smartphones will still have support for Google apps and their updates. So, there will be some relief for current Huawei users who might be in dilemma after Google announcing Android license ban for Huawei.

Huawei can still continue to use the version of the Android operating system available through the open source license called the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). As the software is open source, every developer has the right to access it.

The extent to which Huawei will be hurt by the US government’s blacklist is not yet known as its global supply chain assesses the impact. Chip experts have questioned Huawei’s ability to continue to operate without US help.

Google still has to announce the apps and services being ban for Huawei after the company canceling Android license. However, this move of the Huawei ban might be minimal in China.""
Userlevel 2
Blimey I just had a thought. The reported issue is with the Chinese law that says companies must help the government if asked to do so and the fear is that this could lead to spying.

So does that mean Google will jettison all Chinese companies like Oppo, Vivo, Lenovo, Xiaomi, Oneplus?

Sure the usa government has been doing this for years with apple and Google collecting data for them. If anyone thinks they have a phone that data can't be collected they are very mis guided. If they want my data work away. Not that interesting 😂😂
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Sure the usa government has been doing this for years with apple and Google collecting data for them. If anyone thinks they have a phone that data can't be collected they are very mis guided. If they want my data work away. Not that interesting 😂😂

Quite right. As I said before, we definitely don't want the Chinese to be spying on us. We want to spy on them 🙂
I am not surprised by the current news. I will not complain and act dissapointed, this is a rough challenge for huawei and we as customers should not fall for this scheme. Google is making these decisions, not Huawei. I trust Huawei will find a solution, hopefully one that does not include google. That would be the way going forward.