How does the #StorySign app work?

• 3 December 2018
  • 12 replies
How does the #StorySign app work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 2391 replies
Many of the 32 million deaf children in the world struggle to read. Using the power of AI, Huawei has created StorySign, a free app that helps open the world of books to deaf children. It translates selected children's books into sign language and helps bring the magic of story time to life for children whose first language is sign language. StorySign was created with experts and charities from the deaf community to ensure it is a genuinely useful tool, the app features a friendly avatar, Star, who guides children and parents through classic children’s books.

How to use StorySign?
  • Download StorySign from the Huawei App Gallery or the Google Play Store. You can download it for free.
  • Open the StorySign app and select a book from the StorySign library. Make sure you pick a book you also physically own.
  • Hold your Mate 20 Pro up to the words on the pages in the pysical book and you are good to go! Star (the avatar) will sign the story as the printed worlds are highlighted, cementing the link between words and sign.

Watch our Christmas Story
Discover the magic of StorySign:

Want to learn more about StorySign? Take a look at our website. Want to make a donation? click here.

Share your thoughts and questions about StorySign in the comments.⬇

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Tested this app today, so easy to use, it's so brilliant
Userlevel 6
Badge
We hopefully all seen the post around StorySign and the great advert with santa, don't know about you guys but my heart melted a bit.

I thought I need to find out more and really wanted to use the app straight away so here is my quick demonstration on how easy it is to use.

Userlevel 1
Amazing demo chris as always. Really useful video.
What a game changer!!!
Awesome stuff@Chris
Userlevel 6
Badge
Thanks @Jnbright14 @Rick F
Userlevel 6
Badge
Amazing that this works real time, revolutionary
Userlevel 5
Badge
We hopefully all seen the post around StorySign and the great advert with santa, don't know about you guys but my heart melted a bit.

I thought I need to find out more and really wanted to use the app straight away so here is my quick demonstration on how easy it is to use.

Fantastic!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Love that video Chris 👍
Userlevel 6
Badge
@Tony
Thanks mate
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Amazing app and great video @Chris. We have British Sign Language classes at the university I work at. I'll be sharing this with our BSL teaching team.
Gutted as a user of mobile technology, a BSL activist and someone who loves to share BSL with my son. I am sad it's only available on android phones.
This sort of technology could be used in so many ways and I desperately wanted to test it in this moment to share with everyone I know to raise Deaf awareness and language inclusion. I hope you open it up to all platforms so that everyone who is touched in some way by the Deaf world, can share the joy of reading in BSL
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

We have some StorySign news: we had a reading session with rugy star Ben Cohen at The Frank Barnes School for Deaf Children. Check out the video here.

😃