Huawei - what a disaster....is this the end?

• 5 June 2019
  • 2 replies

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 1 reply
Just wanted to air my frustration about switching to this brand (from Apple) and wanted to see if anyone else out there felt the same?

Barely a year ago, I switched over to P20 Pro, the then flagship phone; barely 2 months into ownership, the edge of the screen chipped (no substantial drop or anything), I appreciate that this is outside warranty but was astonished as to the price to replace the screen so I decided to leave it (although subtly frustrated as it appeared to be a defect rather than damage induced).

10 months go by and I did accidentally damage my screen by a drop although, I feel my old Iphone X would have fared much better than the Huawei from that height.

During this period, the geopolitical noise around Huawei's global presence as well as the disassociation/lack of continued support from google emerged.

What I am fascinated by is the sheer lack of response from Huawei to tackle any of these issues head on or to keep brand loyalty alive.

Using me as an example, I now have a phone has will no longer be supported by google so will be soon be made very redundant. To add insult to injury, wholesalers are now reducing prices drastically (presumably to eradicate stock)

With that price drop, I am perplexed at how Huawei still feel justified to charge over 45% of the price to replace the screen? Customer service has been pretty awful and even if the price was justifiable, the whole process to get the screen replaced is a farce. Hence, I have now decided to cut my losses and switch back to Apple.

But it still leaves me with a damaged product which isn't worthwhile to repair as no one wants it - this appears to be a fall from grace considering this was the flagship product barely a year ago...

This isn't the way to gain brand loyalty/following. I took a gamble steering away from the big/well known brands but it appears I have failed miserably.

Anyone else have any similar or contrasting thoughts? Or if anyone has any thoughts on what to do with my redundant Huawei phone?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Repair prices at Apple are some of the most expensive. Huawei's relatively cheap compared to them.

P20 Pro display is a high-quality AMOLED display, with an included frame and glued battery for quality reasons. Pricing of parts does not go down overtime, they are repair parts after all.

Quality-wise, I don't know, I've seen the same P20 Pro on display been dropped dozens of times on the display table and never breaking, only getting scratches, so...
Repair prices at Apple are some of the most expensive. Huawei's relatively cheap compared to them.

P20 Pro display is a high-quality AMOLED display, with an included frame and glued battery for quality reasons. Pricing of parts does not go down overtime, they are repair parts after all.

Quality-wise, I don't know, I've seen the same P20 Pro on display been dropped dozens of times on the display table and never breaking, only getting scratches, so...

Thanks for your reply.

Quality-wise, I can assure you that the display is substantially weaker; overall build quality is not quite on par but comparable.

With regards to the screen replacement prices, iPhones hold their value and so as a percentage of the phone's cost, it may be justifiable.

But changing a screen at ~ 45% of the price of a new phone makes no sense. Regardless of the 'high quality' of the AMOLED display..