Thank you Huawei Community for my freebie power bank :-)

• 9 March 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi All

Without notice, I received a Huawei / Qualcomm 3.0 10,000 mah power bank as a reward for contributing to the forum.

What a nice gift! Being unable to let things lie, I'm going to test with my P20 Pro and see how many times it will proved a full charge to the phone from flat.

Well it's nearly my birthday so the presents are coming early :-)

Thanks again

Steve

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
*provide 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
The power bank has an inverted LCD display to show the percentage charge, a Type-A quick charge port, another Type-A standard USB port and a Micro-USB port for charging. There is a button on the side to turn the display on.

My P20 Pro battery has a capacity of 4,000mAh and the charger is rated at 10,000mAh

To test it out the I did the following:

• Charge the power bank to 100%
  • Discharge the phone fully using the 7 hour Norwegian Train Ride video from youtube
  • Charge the phone to 100%
  • Discharge the phone again as above
  • Charge the phone until the power bank reached 0% and turned off.
After the 1st charge cycle, the power bank showed 28% charge and the phone was 100%
After the second charge cycle (power bank flat) the phone showed 82% charge.

So the effective capacity of the power bank is 1.82 x 4,000 = 7,280mAh

What happened to the remaining power from the charger? 10,000 - 7,280 = 2720mAh lost.

Well, manufacturers usually quote the mAh capacity of the batteries inside the unit. Usually the voltage of the batteries is higher than is required to charge the phone and a voltage regulator is used to drop the voltage back down. Quite like a car alternator.

The regulators in the power bank themselves absorb some of the power and this is lost as heat. The same for the inside of the phone. You can feel the phone gets warm during charging and this energy is power lost from the power bank.

Also while modern batteries are very efficient, you always have to put more charge in a battery than you get out, so this incurs some losses.

Overall, this power bank performs close to its rated performance, so is a good buy. I already have a cheapy power bank, and will give this to my daughter and keep the Huawei one

I'll charge the power bank from the Huawei charger now and report back the time to 100%.

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Oh, I forgot to mention, the phone was charged from the quick charge port and it took 2 hours and 23 minutes to get from flat to 100%. Not bad :-)

The last thing to do was charge the power bank from flat. This took 5 hours using my Huawei charger.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Steve,

Glad to see that you are happy with it and using it to the fullest! :D

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Thanks

I gave my old one to the owner of a local guinea pig charity where I volunteer.

Now two people are happy!

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 4
Badge
I'll also add my belated thanks for the 'super' power bank. Totally unexpected but definitely a welcome gift as it includes the supercharging technology which I know will save my bacon in time!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I took mine on holiday and it came in really handy for mine and my sister's phones but more importantly, kept our vapes fully charged 😁

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I believe there are a few Huawei power banks. Can anyone recommend the smallest and lightest Huawei Power Bank that supports super charging please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @Tboy2000, welcome back!

We're glad you're interested in our products.

If you want to buy a smaller Power Bank with supper charge, we'd suggest checking out the HUAWEI 10000 mAh SuperCharge™️ Power Bank.

Here's a link you might find helpful.

I hope you'll like this!
Max