Question

GPX file

Userlevel 1
I made a trail how can I download the GPX file?

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi all,

Could you please tell us the models of your devices in which you wish to implement the GPX files? I will be able to look further into this and advise if those can be added.

Looking forward to your responses!

Best regards,
Max

@Max

The implementation will be on the Huawei Health app or on the web (in the future). It is not related to the device. All saved activities that include GPS data (map tracking), should be able to be exported as GPX files regardless of the device used to create the activity.
Userlevel 1
When Huawei makes this function?
Hi,
I found an easy workaround for Watch GT with P30 Pro.
I Synced the app with google fit
Then in my google account I exported the google fit data.
This gave me an archive with TCX files, which have the GPS track.
Best regards
Roelant
I am also interesting in that
Userlevel 1
Hi,

Do you have an idea when it will be implemented?

BRegards,
Rui Belo
I normally track my activity using my phone, but some days I don't carry my phone, so being able to use a 'watch' to do this was attractive, and was one of the reasons I bought the Band 3. Then once purchased, I found the data locked with the application. There are other solutions out there, but I was not able to get them to work, so I have come up with the following work around. I'm sure the are 'smarter' ways this could be done, but as I only want to do this for the occasional use, this process will work for me.

I use the backup tool within settings on my Huawei phone, and create an unencrypted backup of the Health app and it's data to an external SD card in the phone.
The backup on the external SD card is {memory card}/Huawei/Backup/{Name of phone}/backupfiles/{date of backup}/com.huawei.heath.tar
I connect the phone to a PC, and copy the tar file to a directory, and expand it, keeping the directory structure.
There you will find
/com.huawei.health/files/
Within the files directory are the data files, which contain the exercise date. The files with exercise data start HiTrack....

The files are in plain text, the file naming is similar to
HiTrack_1565103303000156510665900030001
which is
Hitrack_+{UNIX time stamp}+(UNIX time stamp}
The file contains lines of
tp=lbs;k=0;lat=53.49173276172417;lon=-2.747367296401697;alt=0.0;t=1.565103304E9;
The time is in UNIX time.
https://www.unixtimestamp.com/index.php
Will help identify the file you want, the files with gpx data are larger.
So the file needs to be extracted to a folder, and the Longitude, Latitude and time extracted from the file.
Extract the file. and then import the file into a spreadsheet, using the = as a separator. Delete the unwanted columns, and then Export the file as a .csv file

I use GPSPrune to handle gpx files, and this will import almost any type of file for manipulation.
it's available on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX
https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/

Import the csv file into GPS prune, using , as a separator, which converts the time and plots out the data.
It appears that a 0 point is used as an end of file marker, so I delete this.

Export the file from GPSPrune into a gpx file.

There is a lot of small steps, let me know if you need help, as your setup may change the way these appear.

Steve
Userlevel 1
I think all watch gt models should have the option. the best thing would be an integration into the health app and a connection to Strava.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Could you please tell us the models of your devices in which you wish to implement the GPX files? I will be able to look further into this and advise if those can be added.

Looking forward to your responses!

Best regards,
Max
Userlevel 4
Badge
As you've not had a response yet we'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Hi.

I would also be interested in the opposite. To be able to upload a gpx track do the watch, and be able to follow the track thru the watch.

will it be possible in future updates?
I normally track my activity using my phone, but some days I don't carry my phone, so being able to use a 'watch' to do this was attractive, and was one of the reasons I bought the Band 3. Then once purchased, I found the data locked with the application. There are other solutions out there, but I was not able to get them to work, so I have come up with the following work around. I'm sure the are 'smarter' ways this could be done, but as I only want to do this for the occasional use, this process will work for me.

I use the backup tool within settings on my Huawei phone, and create an unencrypted backup of the Health app and it's data to an external SD card in the phone.
The backup on the external SD card is {memory card}/Huawei/Backup/{Name of phone}/backupfiles/{date of backup}/com.huawei.heath.tar
I connect the phone to a PC, and copy the tar file to a directory, and expand it, keeping the directory structure.
There you will find
/com.huawei.health/files/
Within the files directory are the data files, which contain the exercise date. The files with exercise data start HiTrack....

The files are in plain text, the file naming is similar to
HiTrack_1565103303000156510665900030001
which is
Hitrack_+{UNIX time stamp}+(UNIX time stamp}
The file contains lines of
tp=lbs;k=0;lat=53.49173276172417;lon=-2.747367296401697;alt=0.0;t=1.565103304E9;
The time is in UNIX time.https://www.unixtimestamp.com/index.phpWill help identify the file you want, the files with gpx data are larger.
So the file needs to be extracted to a folder, and the Longitude, Latitude and time extracted from the file.
Extract the file. and then import the file into a spreadsheet, using the = as a separator. Delete the unwanted columns, and then Export the file as a .csv file

I use GPSPrune to handle gpx files, and this will import almost any type of file for manipulation.
it's available on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX
https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/

Import the csv file into GPS prune, using , as a separator, which converts the time and plots out the data.
It appears that a 0 point is used as an end of file marker, so I delete this.

Export the file from GPSPrune into a gpx file.

There is a lot of small steps, let me know if you need help, as your setup may change the way these appear.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Really appreciate you sharing this, I've been able to follow it and produce a GPX file from a recent recording, however the timestamps are missing (after exporting as GPX and checking it in notepad for example). It seems GPSPrune doesn't recognise/like the unix timestamps as valid timestamps (e.g. 1.56658765E9), even if I tell it that column contains "Time".

I've even tried using an excel formula to convert to date and time (yyyy/d/m h🇲🇲ss.00) and exporting as text but it doesn't like it in that format either. Have you been able to get this working, and if so any pointers as to where I'm going wrong?

Cheers!
I too would be interested in a simple solution to exporting the gpx. The GPX data can be exported from the health application data fairly easily if you have a Huawei phone, and use the backup tool to make an unencrypted backup of the health data. The files contain the gpx data, inside com.huawei.health.tar

Note, the gpx data does not include the actual altitude, the value is always 0, which could explain why the climbing data is always 0.

Steve
I too would be interested in a simple solution to exporting the gpx. The GPX data can be exported from the health application data fairly easily if you have a Huawei phone, and use the backup tool to make an unencrypted backup of the health data. The files contain the gpx data, inside com.huawei.health.tar

Note, the gpx data does not include the actual altitude, the value is always 0, which could explain why the climbing data is always 0.

Steve

Hi Steve, can you describe me step by step the operation for make an unencrypted backup of the health data and exporting the gpx file?
Thank you very mutch
Userlevel 2
Sort answer: you can't. Not yet.

Longer, more involved answer: You'll need a rooted device (or a Huawei one if you can get the Huawei backup app working). For instructions, see here: https://github.com/aricooperdavis/Huawei-TCX-Converter
Hi, I'm also interested in knowing how to export GPX files from Huawei Health, to be able to use them in the future. GPXs are an XML schema designed for transferring GPS data between software applications. The GPX format is open so that it can be reused on all applications.
Userlevel 1
Hi,

I've Huawei Watch GT-583 and I need to use in GPSies.com or Wikiloc.com.
Thanks
BRegards
Came across an awesome tool, that someone has created for automatically converting the files to Strava compatible:

https://github.com/aricooperdavis/Huawei-TCX-Converter

More info at XDA developers forum:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/watch-2/share-exercise-data-huawei-health-app-t3909998/

Hope that helps someone else too!
@MAX please add GT-480.