Answered

Huawei GT calories

• 26 December 2018
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Fearless Explorer
  • 7 replies
Hi,
huawei watch GT calculates calories even those from heartbeat under stress or only from steps?
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MBDeaks 26 December 2018, 12:41

Hi @Dario the watch calculates from steps and activity only. I have mentioned this many time that this information is of no use from a fitness perspective. Users need to know how many total calories they burn per day, therefore basal metabolic rate needs to be taken into account. I really hope that Huawei can implement this at some point. The rest of the fitness trackers on the market do this.
View original

27 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Dario the watch calculates from steps and activity only. I have mentioned this many time that this information is of no use from a fitness perspective. Users need to know how many total calories they burn per day, therefore basal metabolic rate needs to be taken into account. I really hope that Huawei can implement this at some point. The rest of the fitness trackers on the market do this.
Userlevel 1
Thank you 🙂
Could someone tell me how accurate the calories burned are on the watch gt? Are they based solely on activity minutes or general calories burned throughout the day? Also are they based on the weight given on the Huawei health app? It's just that I switched from an Apple watch, and the calories burned according to the watch gt seem to be much higher for not doing any intensive exercise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Jasonrsloan,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read @MBDeaks's answer above and let us know if you have any other questions. 🙂
For some reason the huawei health app on my phone says I've burned a different amount of calories than my watch (often higher than the watch, as well as a higher step count). Basically I want to know how the watch gt calculates calories burned. Is it based on the weight/height/age that you enter in the Huawei health app? Like I mentioned in my initial question, my watch gt seems to have me burning a lot more calories than my Apple watch did, even when not doing any intensive activity.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I think Watch GT uses HR to calculate calories burned. Unfortunately it doesn't use metabolic rate, even though FirstBeat (the tech that the GT uses) claim that it should. In general the Watch GT calculates calories accurately when tracking a particular exercise session, but the value it shows on the watch from resting and day to day movement is completely wrong.
Yeah I was thinking that, I'm assuming by completely wrong, you mean far too much? As it seems to show a much higher value for calories burned than my Apple watch did for general day to day movement. Do we know why this is, or if there will be a fix? As like you said firstbeat claim that it should be accurate. I assume it uses the height/weight etc from the health app to calculate calories burned too. I just don't understand why it's so off, and why my phone also has a different total.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Yeah I was thinking that, I'm assuming by completely wrong, you mean far too much? As it seems to show a much higher value for calories burned than my Apple watch did for general day to day movement. Do we know why this is, or if there will be a fix? As like you said firstbeat claim that it should be accurate. I assume it uses the height/weight etc from the health app to calculate calories burned too. I just don't understand why it's so off, and why my phone also has a different total.

I would say it's too low. I've been up for 5 hours and my Watch is saying that I've burned 11 calories. If using BMR like Garmin, Apple, Fitbit etc, they would say I've burned a few hundred already. To me, this is what's currently letting the GT down (that and no Strava integration).
I feel the opposite. I assumed the watch would only show active calories burned, like on the Apple watch. In the Apple health app you can look at total calories burned estimates which takes into account BMR, effectively showing your tdee. However compared with my Apple watch that I had for 4 years, I'd say my Huawei watch gt shows a much higher number for calories burned for general day to day movement. I've not been to the gym since I got it so I've not selected any workouts, but for me the calorie count seems pretty high in comparison to my Apple watch. I put the correct height/weight/age in the health app, so it's just got me thinking now how accurate it actually is.
Hello,

Is there any update for watch GT, so we can know all day calories burn, using my HR and metabolism rate??
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all!

Thank you for taking your time reporting your feedback/opinions on this thread

If you are experiencing striking inconsistencies please make sure you unpair your devices and pair them again to start with a clean slate.

We are always working hard to make the tracking algorithm more accurate, that's why feedback like this is of high value to us. We will make sure to pass this on to the developments team so they can design an update that will fix the above mentioned issues.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1
After 6 months from the post still no update about the BMR function. I don't like to switch to the another wearable (like Fitbit, Garmin) but that implementation it's very useful for me. 😞
The rest of the fitness trackers on the market do this.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I reported this back in November 2018. Many other people have requested this but Huawei don't seem to want to listen. So I doubt it will ever be implemented.
A simple function such as this should be the base of every fitness tracker/watch out there 🙄
Userlevel 1
A simple function such as this should be the base of every fitness tracker/watch out there 🙄

Not exactly sure why. The watch is tracking your activity and therefor showing what it thinks you burned during this activity. You can easily calculate your metabolic base rate and add it to the amount.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all,

I apologize for the delay in coming back to you. We can escalate your matter to our development team, so we can solve it as soon as possible for you with a system update.

In order to make a request, can you please send me a private message with the serial number and current build number of your phone , the health app version and the watch serial number, with the #gtcalories
Please do not post either number on this discussion.

To send a private message, simply click on my name in the discussion post. In the new menu that appears, select "Send message".

Looking forward to your reply!

Best,
Charlie T. 🤓
I've emailed you about this issue now Charlie.

I am also extremely disappointed with the lack of total calories burnt feature with the GT. I decided to switch to a Huawei smartwatch after having used Fitbit loyally for five years (Charge 2, Blaze and Ionic). I completely took it for granted that, of course, a fitness watch would show you your total calorie expenditure for the day. I'm now hoping I can return my Huawei and go back to Fitbit. Thoroughly unimpressed.
Userlevel 1
I also come from a Fitbit Ionic, and i miss

1. Connection to Strava
  2. Total Calories of the Day
  3. floor counter
Userlevel 5
Badge
I also come from a Fitbit Ionic, and i miss

1. Connection to Strava
  2. Total Calories of the Day
  3. floor counter

You might want to go back to Fitbit or Garmin then. You can also link those to Myfitnesspal and get real time feedback to how many calories you've consumed/burned (in/out). You won't get that with the Watch GT and I can't see it being implemented as it's been requested for almost a year now.

You might want to go back to Fitbit or Garmin then.

Personally am considering doing so. I only bought this GT yesterday and am so let down by it. Even more disheartened to see other users, such as yourself, bring up this issue over a year ago with no resolution in August 2019.
I just got a GT and a P30. I'm very disappointed with the watch performance regarding calorie count and stairs. I am more upset now to read all these comments and the poor responses given by the developer. I definitely don't recommend the GT as a monitoring alternative.
Is there any light of the end of the tunnel, on this issue.
bought this watch yesterday. was very disappointed when i found out about the calories problem.☹
I messaged CharlieT last Friday and have yet to receive any response, so clearly Huawei aren't taking our concerns very seriously.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Toden, @sarahorourke thanks for your patience. The topic has been raised with the development team. Any update information will be shared in this thread.
Ho un Huawei gt 24 e sono veramente deluso che conta le calorie solo quando cammino e non anche quelle del metabolismo basale. Quando uscirà un update che tenga conto anche del metabolismo basale come fa no molti conco6anche più economici? Senza questa funzione base l l'orologio e molto deludente!!!