Huawei Watch Face Maker v.0.1 beta

Show first post

321 replies

Userlevel 6

I confirm that after deleting C:\Users\YouUserName\Appdata\Roaming\hfm there is no more error ...
I can confirm it works on Windows with this workaround.

I send dodge a PM with error report from Mac

webpatrick, thank you for the PM, it'll be very helpful and sorry everybody for all the trouble.

As I mentioned, I don't have a Mac of any sort, so it will be hard to diagnose what's going on.
I also have a question for you, on Mac, is this the executable: ./hfm.app/Contents/MacOS/hfm?
That's because the packager folder must be on the same folder as the executable, so I may need to do that extra adjustment.
Regarding the crash when starting, I'll keep researching, this seems to be a common problem.

To everyone else, I rebuilt both Windows and Linux versions with the fix, give me some feedback, thank you.
This happened because the new entry on user-preferences (recentFiles) didn't exist on older versions, but the old user settings were loaded anyway, without that entry. So when trying to iterate through the recent files list, it was undefined of course.
I need vacations 😃
Userlevel 4

Hi Dodge, my first comment in this forum. at first, i want to thank you very much for your work. its great to see the progress in your programm. i try your watch face maker 0.6.1 and have some problems with the select image widget. in previous versions i can select data_steps_ratio for the right bar. but now only the step digits. the bar are 11 images, named as B100_010.png to B100_020.png. i see this name convention in your included watchface. the same problem for the left bar, data_power_ratio is missing in the selection. have i made a mistake? any help is welcome.

greetings from germany and a nice weekend, Torsten

@Torsten_H

I'm sorry, I missed your post :(

RATIO data isn't suposed to work with SelectImage. SelectImage translates integers into images.
SelectImage uses these data types:
  • DATA_AMPM
  • DATA_WEEK
  • DATA_WEATHERTYPE
  • DATA_POWER_ENUM
  • DATA_HOUR12_HIGH
  • DATA_HOUR12_LOW
  • DATA_HOUR24_HIGH
  • DATA_HOUR24_LOW
  • DATA_HOUR_HIGH
  • DATA_HOUR_LOW
  • DATA_MINITE_HIGH
  • DATA_MINITE_LOW
  • DATA_SECOND_HIGH
  • DATA_SECOND_LOW
  • DATA_STEPS_ONE
  • DATA_STEPS_TWO
  • DATA_STEPS_THREE
  • DATA_STEPS_FOUR
  • DATA_STEPS_FIVE
  • DATA_DATE_HIGH
  • DATA_DATE_LOW
  • DATA_UNREADMSG_STATE
  • DATA_TEMPERATURE_TYPE
Ratio data is for TextureMapper, Circle and Line widgets.
For those battery bars (DATA_POWER_ENUM), you can use SelectImage, but they should all be the same size (height), each one representing a percentage. For example:
  • 00.png: 0%
  • 01.png: 10%
  • 02.png: 20%
... and so on.
On the background image, you should have a placeholder, with empty slots.
Check out the attached images, it should be obvious how it works.

For steps, I guess you can only use TextureMapper (rotation) and numbers (TextAreas or SelectImage).
Download the last version from my Google Drive, you've a got a tutorial on the Top menu->Help->Tutorial.

Good luck!

Hey Dodge, thanks for your answer and the new version. i punched holes in watchface and make 2 box widgets in white below. now my idea was to use the line widget to get the red color. but when i select the image, give it a name and select data_power_ratio the submit button does nothing.

Userlevel 4
App name suggestion

Huawei WatchFace Designer
Userlevel 6

Yep, welcome to the wonderful world of beta testing ;)
Thank you, I solved that bug, you may redownload and test please.
Anyway, I tested the Line widget and it works good, but with horizontal bars. I don't know if they're intended for vertical bars.

Check out the attached HFM and result.

Userlevel 3
Dodge,

Sorry to say this, but the latest uploaded version doesn't load any .hfm file.. :P

EDIT: Sorry, sloved. I forgot to erase the ...\Roaming\hfm folder.

Now it's working 😉
Userlevel 4
on my site i can open hfm files. and yes, it works first try with vertical line widget 🙂 i get closer to my watchface. i havent test the new generator for font images, but it should make the creation so much easier. i exported the din huawei font from 0 to 9 in 4 sizes, and now this should go in one rush 🙂 i will try it tommorow. many, many thanks for your work and fast response time.

Torsten
Userlevel 6
Dodge,

Sorry to say this, but the latest uploaded version doesn't load any .hfm file.. :P

EDIT: Sorry, sloved. I forgot to erase the ...\Roaming\hfm folder.

Now it's working ;)

Thanks mate, my sanity thanks you 😃
Userlevel 6
on my site i can open hfm files. and yes, it works first try with vertical line widget 🙂 i get closer to my watchface. i havent test the new generator for font images, but it should make the creation so much easier. i exported the din huawei font from 0 to 9 in 4 sizes, and now this should go in one rush 🙂 i will try it tommorow. many, many thanks for your work and fast response time.

Torsten

Cheers Torsten, I'm glad it's working for you, good luck with your design!
Userlevel 6
App name suggestion

Huawei WatchFace Designer

Thanks for your good suggestion Graf, I like it. More names are welcome!

Before 1.0 I'll be making a poll, so you guys can vote on the best name.
So keep them coming, you guys will decide which one is the best.
Userlevel 7
Badge
One issue, and I'm afraid it's a rather big one, hopefully easily solvable (unless I'm doing it wrong...). When doing a digital watch face and you use image files for the digits (0.png, 1.png, 2.png etc...) EVERY digit saves ALL ten possible integers for that digit. so if you have hour_high, hour_low, min_high, min_low, sec_high, and sec_low, you'll have 60 images compiled within the hwt just for those, even if they all use the exact same ten image files. Ideally you should only need ten in that scenario. I hope this makes sense. I packaged the exact same watch face with GTMaster and with HFM and the GTMaster hwt was 293kb where the HFM hwt was 547kb due to all of the duplicate images files within.
Userlevel 6
One issue, and I'm afraid it's a rather big one, hopefully easily solvable (unless I'm doing it wrong...). When doing a digital watch face and you use image files for the digits (0.png, 1.png, 2.png etc...) EVERY digit saves ALL ten possible integers for that digit. so if you have hour_high, hour_low, min_high, min_low, sec_high, and sec_low, you'll have 60 images compiled within the hwt just for those, even if they all use the exact same ten image files. Ideally you should only need ten in that scenario. I hope this makes sense. I packaged the exact same watch face with GTMaster and with HFM and the GTMaster hwt was 293kb where the HFM hwt was 547kb due to all of the duplicate images files within.

I'm aware of that andygev35, but unfortunately I'm still on 0.6.2 beta version, that issue will be addressed in future iterations 😉
Remember, this software was born a month ago, it's still a baby.
Userlevel 7
Badge

One issue, and I'm afraid it's a rather big one, hopefully easily solvable (unless I'm doing it wrong...). When doing a digital watch face and you use image files for the digits (0.png, 1.png, 2.png etc...) EVERY digit saves ALL ten possible integers for that digit. so if you have hour_high, hour_low, min_high, min_low, sec_high, and sec_low, you'll have 60 images compiled within the hwt just for those, even if they all use the exact same ten image files. Ideally you should only need ten in that scenario. I hope this makes sense. I packaged the exact same watch face with GTMaster and with HFM and the GTMaster hwt was 293kb where the HFM hwt was 547kb due to all of the duplicate images files within.I'm aware of that andygev35, but unfortunately I'm still on 0.6.2 beta version, that issue will be addressed in future iterations ;)

Thanks for the hard work, it’s a fantastic piece of work in progress. I just wasn’t sure if that had been addressed or even mentioned.
Userlevel 6

One issue, and I'm afraid it's a rather big one, hopefully easily solvable (unless I'm doing it wrong...). When doing a digital watch face and you use image files for the digits (0.png, 1.png, 2.png etc...) EVERY digit saves ALL ten possible integers for that digit. so if you have hour_high, hour_low, min_high, min_low, sec_high, and sec_low, you'll have 60 images compiled within the hwt just for those, even if they all use the exact same ten image files. Ideally you should only need ten in that scenario. I hope this makes sense. I packaged the exact same watch face with GTMaster and with HFM and the GTMaster hwt was 293kb where the HFM hwt was 547kb due to all of the duplicate images files within.I'm aware of that andygev35, but unfortunately I'm still on 0.6.2 beta version, that issue will be addressed in future iterations ;)
Thanks for the hard work, it’s a fantastic piece of work in progress. I just wasn’t sure if that had been addressed or even mentioned.

It wasn't mentioned or addressed, mainly because it's part of a new feature.

I mainly tried to provide a functionality that didn't exist (graphics generation), but I'm well aware that each graphic is it's own entity, while it should be shared among all objects whenever possible.

That will come in future versions (maybe the next one), with optimization. It should be rather simple when building the HWT to depict a single ocurrence of each graphic and recicle it for all objects that use it or maybe use that approach when generating the graphics, I still haven't decided.

Rest assured that optimization is on the roadmap because it's one of my main concerns in all softwares I've built during my career.
Besides, my software can't be compared to GTMaster mainly because GTMaster is much more mature (I guess, I never used it) and I don't see this as a competition. I'd also like to provide a more western oriented solution.
Also, Face Maker will be an alternative, especially for those on Linux or MacOS (when MacOS version is finally working), because I don't know if GTMaster works on Linux/MacOS.

Finally, I'd like to thank you andygev35, for trying my software, I hope it'll someday meet your and everyone else's expectations 😉
Userlevel 3
Mr. Dodge, thank you very much, very much for everything you do and the work you do for us users of the 'Huawei Watch Face Maker' program.
I am pleased to note that the evolution of this program, even if it seems slow, is becoming more and more secure, more optimized and more stable, for which I appreciate you very much, and last but not least, I appreciate the interventions of Mr. andygev35.

Regarding the name change, I would simply call it 'GT NOVA Maker' or 'NOVA GT Maker'. ☺
Userlevel 3

Also, Face Maker will be an alternative, especially for those on Linux or MacOS (when MacOS version is finally working), because I don't know if GTMaster works on Linux/MacOS.

I hope there will still be alternatives for Windows.
Userlevel 4
anyone willing to test? i struggle at the moment with the account for health app beta. i attached the watchface and the hfm file, if there is any error. would love to see it on a watch :-)

Torsten

Userlevel 3
Nice "hot" one at 38ºC! :D
I'll try it out as soon as I get home, and let you know.

Thx, mate!
Userlevel 4
and day 83 😃 these are the random numbers from preview. thanks for trying out.

Torsten
Userlevel 3
Hey Tornsten!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test your nice watchface. Tried to install your .hwt file, but the Health App wouldn't allow it.

Then I opened your .hfm file with dodge's Face Maker, updated the face info directory and generated another .hwt file to try it. Still the same no-go.

This is what happens when generating the file, something related to incorrect sRGB profiles. I'm guessing something related to the color format of the artwork:

I hope you can get it fixed, the face is really nice. Maybe someone more experienced can give a hand on this...

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
My first watchface with dodge's incredible tool.

This isn't probably suited for most of you guys, since it's a watchface designed for the portuguese airforce F-16 squadrons, but nevertheless, it helped me learn a bit how to use the tool and maybe some of you would like to try it (if you're an aviation freak, that is :P).

Included is also the source code, feel free to modify it as you please.

Cheers.

@dodge , I have no idea why, but in your previous version, the file was about 450kb and now it's around 1Mb.
If you catch it, please let me know what I may be doing wrong.

Cheers
Hello @dodge,
I have found something in the latest version huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v062b (maybe it's only on my side) but if i generate the hwt file it's 1,57mb this is with the latest version,
but if i generate it with huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v0.6.1 my hwt file is 606kb.
I have notce that the cover.jpg in the huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v062b is 1.450kb and in the version huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v0.6.1 it is 193kb.
Userlevel 6
Hello @dodge,
I have found something in the latest version huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v062b (maybe it's only on my side) but if i generate the hwt file it's 1,57mb this is with the latest version,
but if i generate it with huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v0.6.1 my hwt file is 606kb.
I have notce that the cover.jpg in the huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v062b is 1.450kb and in the version huawei_watch_face_maker-win32-ia32_v0.6.1 it is 193kb.

Hi @palafix !

Did you change something in your design between versions, like adding more widgets or something? That would explain the size increase, like, the more colors it has, the bigger the image will be. Anyway, 1.450kb is way too large for a JPEG, so there's something weird going on.
Is it auto generated or did you import it on the Face Info dialog?
Thank you for your feedback!

Anyway, I have good news. I've implemented optimization on the graphics generation and now, face maker uses only one image for all duplicates, so the HWT will be smaller than ever.
I'm just gonna do some more tests before I release it, but you may expect a new version tomorrow.

Edit: on a simple test I made, the HWT went from 62kb to 30kb, so half the size!
That's what I call optimization!
I achieved that by compressing the JPEGS and removing redundant graphics when generating the HWT.
The compression of the JPEGS does create some artifacts, so I think I'll add the level of compression to the preferences, this way you may choose the compression you want!
Something around 70% will be a good compromise between quality and size 😉
Userlevel 4
good morning Nuno,

thanks for your replay. maybe you have some time to help me out. when you delete one widget and try to compile the watchface, delete the next and compile - so we should be able to find the wrong widget?

Torsten

Hey Tornsten!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test your nice watchface. Tried to install your .hwt file, but the Health App wouldn't allow it.

Then I opened your .hfm file with dodge's Face Maker, updated the face info directory and generated another .hwt file to try it. Still the same no-go.

This is what happens when generating the file, something related to incorrect sRGB profiles. I'm guessing something related to the color format of the artwork:

I hope you can get it fixed, the face is really nice. Maybe someone more experienced can give a hand on this...

Cheers!Hey Tornsten!

Cheers!
Userlevel 2

I confirm that after deleting C:\Users\YouUserName\Appdata\Roaming\hfm there is no more error ...
I can confirm it works on Windows with this workaround.

I send dodge a PM with error report from Mac
webpatrick, thank you for the PM, it'll be very helpful and sorry everybody for all the trouble.

As I mentioned, I don't have a Mac of any sort, so it will be hard to diagnose what's going on.
I also have a question for you, on Mac, is this the executable: ./hfm.app/Contents/MacOS/hfm?
That's because the packager folder must be on the same folder as the executable, so I may need to do that extra adjustment.
Regarding the crash when starting, I'll keep researching, this seems to be a common problem.

To everyone else, I rebuilt both Windows and Linux versions with the fix, give me some feedback, thank you.
This happened because the new entry on user-preferences (recentFiles) didn't exist on older versions, but the old user settings were loaded anyway, without that entry. So when trying to iterate through the recent files list, it was undefined of course.
I need vacations :D

The hfm.app in your zip looks like a package, when I run it, I think it is unpacked in a temporary folder "/private/var/folders/*/hfm.app/Contents/MacOS/hfm" and will be tried to run there, I don't think the Packager is in there.