Answered

Huawei watch gt below 40 bpms

• Fearless Explorer
  • 7 replies
Dear,

I was wondering why the huawei gt watch is not recording my heart rate below 40bpms. Is this due to the hardware or software? And in the case of being a software problem, are there any plans on improving this?

thank you,

Hugo
icon

Best answer by CharlieT 16 July 2019, 19:55

Hi all,
I apologize for the delay in coming back to you.

Heart rate monitoring can be affected by various environmental and situational factors. If you find that your heart rate measurement fails during use, or the data is incorrect, please refer to the following:
  • If your watch is loosely worn or is not well-attached to your wrist, it will not be able to obtain data through the fluctuations of your blood flow. In this case, ensure that your watch is well-attached to your wrist, and that the watch face is facing upwards. It is recommended that you wear it slightly above your wrist joint for maximum comfort. Ensure that your watch is well-attached to your wrist during exercises to prevent it from slipping due to excess movements.
  • Ensure that the back of your watch is clean, dry, and free of obstruction from foreign objects. Excessive sweating during exercises can cause your watch to slip or obstruct the light path, resulting in an inaccurate measurement. In this case, detach your watch and wipe off any sweat or smudges, then reattach it to your wrist.
  • Ensure that the measuring area of your skin is free of scars or tattoos that may affect the heart rate measurement. Scars and tattoo dyes may block light from the sensor, making it difficult for the sensor to detect the reflected light and get an accurate reading.
  • Extreme low temperatures may also alter the blood flow of the human body and cause the heart rate measurement to be inaccurate. In this case, it is recommended that you initiate a heart rate measurement after warming up from low temperatures.
  • Heart rates are much easier to measure during regular movement exercises (such as run, walk, and cycle) compared to irregular movement exercises (such as basketball and free activities), while wrist strength exercises (such as weightlifting) may even complicate the process. Please refer to the exercise menu on your watch to engage in the corresponding type of exercise.
  • If you find that your heart rate is abnormal during an exercise, keep your watch facing upwards and stand still for approximately 10 to 15 seconds to check whether your heart rate returns to normal. If your heart rate cannot be measured after multiple attempts, it is recommended that you restart your watch and try again.
Your watch includes an optical heart rate sensor, which can continuously monitor and record your heart rate throughout the day to help you keep track of your health and fitness. To use this feature, enable Continuous heart rate monitoring in the Huawei Health app.

Heart rate measurement

1. Wear your watch while keeping still.
  2. To measure your heart rate, press the up button, swipe up or down, and touch Heart rate.
http://consumer-tkb.huawei.com/ctkb/ha-i/c0ce01_cx1ij.gif
To ensure accurate heart rate measurement, wear the watch normally and ensure the strap is securely fastened. Make sure that the watch contacts your skin directly without any obstructions.

Heart rate measurement during a workout

During a workout, your watch can display your real-time heart rate and heart rate interval, and notify you when your heart rate exceeds the upper limit. For best training results, you are advised to choose a workout based on your heart rate interval.
  • Setting the heart rate interval calculation method
  • The heart rate interval can be calculated based on maximum heart rate percentage or HRR percentage. To set the heart rate interval calculation method, open the Huawei Health app, go to Me > Settings > Heart rate interval and warning > Calculation method, and select either Maximum heart rate percentage or HRR percentage.
  • If you select Maximum heart rate percentage as the calculation method, the heart rate interval for different types of workout activities (Extreme, Anaerobic, Aerobic, Fat-burning, and Warm-up) is calculated based on your maximum heart rate ("220 – your age" by default). Heart rate = Maximum heart rate x Maximum heart rate percentage
  • If you select HRR percentage as the calculation method, the heart rate interval for different types of workout activities (Advanced anaerobic, Basic anaerobic, Lactic acid, Advanced aerobic, and Basic aerobic) is calculated based on your heart rate reserve (HRmax – HRrest). Heart rate = Heart rate reserve x Heart rate reserve percentage + Resting heart rate.
  • The heart rate zone calculation method for a running course is not affected by the Huawei Health app settings. It is calculated based on Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) percentage for most running courses.
  • Measuring your heart rate during a workout
  1. After you start a workout, swipe on the watch screen to check your real-time heart rate and heart rate interval.
  2. After your workout ends, you can check your average heart rate, maximum heart rate, and heart rate interval under Workout records on your watch.
  3. You can view your heart rate chart, maximum heart rate, and average heart rate for each workout on the exercise record screen in the Huawei Health App.
  • If you remove your watch during a workout, your watch will stop displaying your heart rate. Measurement will resume when you wear your watch again.
  • Your watch can measure your heart rate when you connect it to your phone and start a workout using the Huawei Health app.
The resting heart displayed on your watch is your measured heart rate when you are awake and not moving around or exercising. Your watch will measure your heart rate in the morning right after you wake up (before you get out of bed) or when you are not moving to determine your resting heart rate.
If resting heart rate displays "- -", this may be because your watch has not had the opportunity to measure your resting heart rate yet.

• It is recommended that you wear your watch when sleeping to obtain a more accurate resting heart rate measurement.
  • Ensure that you have enabled Continuous heart rate measurement in the device details page of the Huawei Health app.

If the issue still persist, we can escalate your matter to our development team, so we can solve it as soon as possible for you with a system update.
In order to make a request, can you please send me a private message with the serial number and the health app version with #heartrate. You can find it of them in Settings > System > About phone. Please do not post either number on this discussion.
To send a private message, simply click on my name in the discussion post. In the new menu that appears, select "Send message".
Hope it helps.

Best,
Charlie T.💡😉
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Hugo,

Welcome on the community and thank you for sharing your feedback. There already are a few threads about the heart rate monitor on the Watch GT. But there isn't a thread on a low heart rate so I won't close this one. I flagged it for support team and they will assist you as soon as possible. 🙂
My first post here. I have had Watch GT Classic for a few days and every morning lowest bpm is 40. I really hope that device can record lower values and this feature will be added on some patch.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
We are sorry, the community do not seem to have an answer for your questions. If you are still having issues, we'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels to help get your question resolved. Thanks.
OSC answered to me about this subject. They are saying that there is no hardware or software issue that would prevent watch to measure heart rate below 40. So it should measure it and there is no fix coming, since there is no problem found according to OSC.

Only two things were suggested that could be tried out.

1.) Make sure that watch is correctly on wrist.
2.) Reset the watch and restore factory settings.

I have not tried 2. because I dont believe it would make any difference and the watch is working otherwise fine.

I do still get lowest HR at night time exactly 40bpm, and this happens almost every night (over one month period so far). So either the watch does not measure lower on my case, or my heart is just so precise that it does not go to 39. Ever. Never. 🙂
Did the Reset/Restore Factory Settings today. I will report if it did anything.
Did the Reset/Restore Factory Settings today. I will report if it did anything.

It did not. Still minimum 40bpm at last night.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Tenox,

Did you manage to solve this in the meantime? If not, please contact our support team directly as the community does not seem to have an answer for you.
No Solution for this topic! Same problem as Tenox, never ever below 40BPM, so there is a restriction in the watch although OSC claims otherwhise. Big bummer because it influences my sleep results and my rest BPM. As there should not be a hardware issue, the solution might be found in a firmware update?
Hey Tenox,

Did you manage to solve this in the meantime? If not, please contact our support team directly as the community does not seem to have an answer for you.

The official support channel did not have any helpful answers to me. They said that there is no hardware or software issues that could explain this. They said that only thing I can do is to send the watch for repair, but since I do not know for sure that there is something wrong in my watch I do not want to do that.

I have been using GT watch for 70 days now almost 24/7 and still it has never measured my heartbeat to go below 40. Almost every night it does go to excactly 40bpm, I would say about 65 nights out of that 70. But never 39 or lower.
Make that 2
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi all,
I apologize for the delay in coming back to you.

Heart rate monitoring can be affected by various environmental and situational factors. If you find that your heart rate measurement fails during use, or the data is incorrect, please refer to the following:
  • If your watch is loosely worn or is not well-attached to your wrist, it will not be able to obtain data through the fluctuations of your blood flow. In this case, ensure that your watch is well-attached to your wrist, and that the watch face is facing upwards. It is recommended that you wear it slightly above your wrist joint for maximum comfort. Ensure that your watch is well-attached to your wrist during exercises to prevent it from slipping due to excess movements.
  • Ensure that the back of your watch is clean, dry, and free of obstruction from foreign objects. Excessive sweating during exercises can cause your watch to slip or obstruct the light path, resulting in an inaccurate measurement. In this case, detach your watch and wipe off any sweat or smudges, then reattach it to your wrist.
  • Ensure that the measuring area of your skin is free of scars or tattoos that may affect the heart rate measurement. Scars and tattoo dyes may block light from the sensor, making it difficult for the sensor to detect the reflected light and get an accurate reading.
  • Extreme low temperatures may also alter the blood flow of the human body and cause the heart rate measurement to be inaccurate. In this case, it is recommended that you initiate a heart rate measurement after warming up from low temperatures.
  • Heart rates are much easier to measure during regular movement exercises (such as run, walk, and cycle) compared to irregular movement exercises (such as basketball and free activities), while wrist strength exercises (such as weightlifting) may even complicate the process. Please refer to the exercise menu on your watch to engage in the corresponding type of exercise.
  • If you find that your heart rate is abnormal during an exercise, keep your watch facing upwards and stand still for approximately 10 to 15 seconds to check whether your heart rate returns to normal. If your heart rate cannot be measured after multiple attempts, it is recommended that you restart your watch and try again.
Your watch includes an optical heart rate sensor, which can continuously monitor and record your heart rate throughout the day to help you keep track of your health and fitness. To use this feature, enable Continuous heart rate monitoring in the Huawei Health app.

Heart rate measurement

1. Wear your watch while keeping still.
  2. To measure your heart rate, press the up button, swipe up or down, and touch Heart rate.
http://consumer-tkb.huawei.com/ctkb/ha-i/c0ce01_cx1ij.gif
To ensure accurate heart rate measurement, wear the watch normally and ensure the strap is securely fastened. Make sure that the watch contacts your skin directly without any obstructions.

Heart rate measurement during a workout

During a workout, your watch can display your real-time heart rate and heart rate interval, and notify you when your heart rate exceeds the upper limit. For best training results, you are advised to choose a workout based on your heart rate interval.
  • Setting the heart rate interval calculation method
  • The heart rate interval can be calculated based on maximum heart rate percentage or HRR percentage. To set the heart rate interval calculation method, open the Huawei Health app, go to Me > Settings > Heart rate interval and warning > Calculation method, and select either Maximum heart rate percentage or HRR percentage.
  • If you select Maximum heart rate percentage as the calculation method, the heart rate interval for different types of workout activities (Extreme, Anaerobic, Aerobic, Fat-burning, and Warm-up) is calculated based on your maximum heart rate ("220 – your age" by default). Heart rate = Maximum heart rate x Maximum heart rate percentage
  • If you select HRR percentage as the calculation method, the heart rate interval for different types of workout activities (Advanced anaerobic, Basic anaerobic, Lactic acid, Advanced aerobic, and Basic aerobic) is calculated based on your heart rate reserve (HRmax – HRrest). Heart rate = Heart rate reserve x Heart rate reserve percentage + Resting heart rate.
  • The heart rate zone calculation method for a running course is not affected by the Huawei Health app settings. It is calculated based on Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) percentage for most running courses.
  • Measuring your heart rate during a workout
  1. After you start a workout, swipe on the watch screen to check your real-time heart rate and heart rate interval.
  2. After your workout ends, you can check your average heart rate, maximum heart rate, and heart rate interval under Workout records on your watch.
  3. You can view your heart rate chart, maximum heart rate, and average heart rate for each workout on the exercise record screen in the Huawei Health App.
  • If you remove your watch during a workout, your watch will stop displaying your heart rate. Measurement will resume when you wear your watch again.
  • Your watch can measure your heart rate when you connect it to your phone and start a workout using the Huawei Health app.
The resting heart displayed on your watch is your measured heart rate when you are awake and not moving around or exercising. Your watch will measure your heart rate in the morning right after you wake up (before you get out of bed) or when you are not moving to determine your resting heart rate.
If resting heart rate displays "- -", this may be because your watch has not had the opportunity to measure your resting heart rate yet.

• It is recommended that you wear your watch when sleeping to obtain a more accurate resting heart rate measurement.
  • Ensure that you have enabled Continuous heart rate measurement in the device details page of the Huawei Health app.

If the issue still persist, we can escalate your matter to our development team, so we can solve it as soon as possible for you with a system update.
In order to make a request, can you please send me a private message with the serial number and the health app version with #heartrate. You can find it of them in Settings > System > About phone. Please do not post either number on this discussion.
To send a private message, simply click on my name in the discussion post. In the new menu that appears, select "Send message".
Hope it helps.

Best,
Charlie T.💡😉
I think that I am using the watch correctly since there is just this one problem that watch never goes under 40bpm. It seems to work quite OK otherwise. Some minor problems during excercise, but I think they are just something we have to bear on wrist measuring.

I will send the requested information as soon as I can.
Dear Charlie, I respect the efforr for your reply... but it is just not responding nor solving the problem that the heart rate never goes below 40bpm. Soplease escalate this i possible, there muqt be a reason why it is nor monitoring below 40.

Thank you
Dear Charlie
Maybe I should put diffrent topic but let's start here.
You say that "The heart rate zone calculation method for a running course is not affected by the Huawei Health app settings.". Can it be changed? What is the point of having possiblity of setting own heart rate limit, heart rate min and max if it cannot be reflected in my activity monitor?
To be more exact: based on some calculators i set max HR at 188, limit at 190. But when i run watch is sending me alerts when HR reaches 175. And then 176. And then 177 etc. When it happens Ii cannot see the display unless button pressed - which is annoying.
Thank you in advance.
Robert
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi there!

We have escalated this and we're working on fixing this in an upcoming update.

In the meantime feel free to reach out to @CharlieT with the Serial and Build numbers of your device if you'd like to cooperate in fixing this as soon as possible.
There is a problem with this for sure. Had my watch for 4 months and I know for certain i have a heartrate below 40 but the lowest registered by the watch every, and I mean every single day is 40 bpm.

It measures everything above 40 correctly.

Please fix this!
Hi I agree the GT does not go below 40. I used a second monitor when watch said 40 I got a reading of 38. The GT watch does not go below 40. Its disappointing.