Answered

Questions re Watch GT's "must have" features - PLEASE READ

• 10 April 2019
  • 52 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi to all

First, I'd like to say that I personally think that the Watch GT is a wonderful piece of engineering. It covers most of what I ever wanted from a Fitness Tracker in a beautiful and lightweight watch-like shell with great battery life. It's simplicity is awesome.

Having read most of the topics (Questions & Conversations) in this forum and based on my personal experience with the watch (also compared with other Smartwatches/Fitness Trackers/Fitness apps I've used before) I'd like to ask some questions in order to know what we - the users - should expect from Huawei in the near future. I will try to cover the most important questions users have.

1. Will Huawei add the stress measurement feature for all devices or at least to these devices purchased in the European market?
  2. Will Huawei add the WatchFace Market in the Health app for iOS?
  3. Will Huawei add integration with other leading fitness apps like Strava, Runkeeper, etc, or at least add the ability for exporting activities to an industry standard format (.gpx, etc)?
  4. Will Huawei add an auto-pause feature in activities?
  5. Will Huawei finally implement or activate the climbing feature that is already enabled but never show any data?
  6. Will Huawei correct the way activities are transferred in Apple Healthkit and Google Fit which are now transferred as "walking and running distance" and not as separate activities?

And also some optional features:

1. Based on the fact that the watch has NFC built-in (don't deny this), is Huawei planning to add Huawei Pay in the future?
  2. Is Huawei planning to add a low-light / low-consumption watchface for always-on?
To Operators of this forum:
Please do not transfer this question to the "Huawei Watch GT (LiteOS)/Huawei Health Bugs and suggestions" topic. This is a "Question" topic demanding answers. Please do not tell us that you will pass these questions to the appropriate departments waiting for a response forever. Ask, follow up as many times as needed and come back with answers. And finally, please don't ask us if we have tried to reset the watch to its factory defaults by any chance 😈

To fellow Watch GT owners:
If you also demand answers to the above questions and like this topic, please back it up by replying frequently.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Redddog 30 April 2019, 15:28

I don't think they're listening to these suggestions...
View original

52 replies

Userlevel 2
Dear @kalantz , I totally agree with you. This post is a comprehensive summary of most of the Watch GT owners. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi both,

Thank you for the summary. I will keep it as a separate thread. I believe that our Support team (@Max) raised all of these issues with the development team. I will flag this post for Max to double check it. Hopefully he will be able to give you some answers but when it comes to changes in the software we cannot promise anything.

Please note that the community is a place where Huawei users can talk, inspire and help each other. This is not a development platform and if you have urgent questions for our support team, please use the hotline or chat. Rest assured that all idea's are handled with care and we appreciatie and forward all feedback we get!
Userlevel 3
Your list is great but I think there's one big one you missed :-

Can we disable step counting in the Huawei Health app, so that the watch's steps don't get overwritten with the over-counting on the phone ?

One thing I'd like to see but might not be that popular with others :-

Can we have a gym activity which counts reps for strength training ? Something very similar to the one on all Garmin trackers and the Progression Android Wear app. Here's how it works :-

You press the start button for the 'Set' it starts a timer and every time you do let's say a bicep curl it counts it. At the end of the set you press stop and it times the rest. Repeat N times. Data gets exported to Huawei Health where you can edit the results adding the weight you lifted and correcting any mis-counts or mis-detection of the exercise. You can then track working time, heart rate, volume lifted etc. I guess there's a lot of work in detecting each exercise for the devs so one option might be that you can train it.

Give me an SDK and I could write this.
Userlevel 5
Ae you suggesting that the watch does indeed have an NFC transmitter but they deny that it does?
Userlevel 3
Very nice topic. I agree that step counter should be counting from watch only in Android.

Now related to watch face market, iOS. I dont think that there is a chance added for iOS. Its not Huawei's fault. There are limitations from iOS for security reasons.
If you notice in Android you are able to pass different running courses in the watch. In iOS its not feasible. You cannot send data from the iPhone to the watch. In the past similar issues existed for other devices with wear OS.
Userlevel 3
Hi to all

First, I'd like to say that I personally think that the Watch GT is a wonderful piece of engineering. It covers most of what I ever wanted from a Fitness Tracker in a beautiful and lightweight watch-like shell with great battery life. It's simplicity is awesome.

Having read most of the topics (Questions & Conversations) in this forum and based on my personal experience with the watch (also compared with other Smartwatches/Fitness Trackers/Fitness apps I've used before) I'd like to ask some questions in order to know what we - the users - should expect from Huawei in the near future. I will try to cover the most important questions users have.

1. Will Huawei add the stress measurement feature for all devices or at least to these devices purchased in the European market?
  2. Will Huawei add the WatchFace Market in the Health app for iOS?
  3. Will Huawei add integration with other leading fitness apps like Strava, Runkeeper, etc, or at least add the ability for exporting activities to an industry standard format (.gpx, etc)?
  4. Will Huawei add an auto-pause feature in activities?
  5. Will Huawei finally implement or activate the climbing feature that is already enabled but never show any data?
  6. Will Huawei correct the way activities are transferred in Apple Healthkit and Google Fit which are now transferred as "walking and running distance" and not as separate activities?
And also some optional features:

1. Based on the fact that the watch has NFC built-in (don't deny this), is Huawei planning to add Huawei Pay in the future?
  2. Is Huawei planning to add a low-light / low-consumption watchface for always-on?
To Operators of this forum:
Please do not transfer this question to the "Huawei Watch GT (LiteOS)/Huawei Health Bugs and suggestions" topic. This is a "Question" topic demanding answers. Please do not tell us that you will pass these questions to the appropriate departments waiting for a response forever. Ask, follow up as many times as needed and come back with answers. And finally, please don't ask us if we have tried to reset the watch to its factory defaults by any chance 😈

To fellow Watch GT owners:
If you also demand answers to the above questions and like this topic, please back it up by replying frequently.

Thanks

But there's something that I really miss, music on the watch to listen with bluetooth headphones!
When training I miss that, I'm dependent of my Smartphone in Gym and when running outdoor.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@azw413 Step counting can be disabled by not allowing the Huawei app (or any other fitness app) to access the motion sensor in Android or iOS settings.

@Redddog Yes, the watch does an NFC module which can be activated for payments. However Huawei have never advertised any NFC functions for Huawei GT. That is the reason I added this in the list with the optional features.

@GSolari Apple allows free watchface and free app markets. Garmin, Samsung, Google and other companies do have such markets in their apps for their smartwatches. It is up to Huawei if they want to implement it.

@Morzaman Indeed it would be a nice feature. Forgot to mention it.
Userlevel 3
No option, insufficient space inside watch, cannot be done in this GT line...what a fault from Huawei!
I can go to Gym or outdoor without my smartphone, the watch don't need it, but I have to keep my smartphone with me if I want to listen to music when training.
If we really think about it, who puts a misery 128 mb of storage in a watch!
Userlevel 5
Im not sure I believe that they would put in an NFC module and hide that as a feature.

Why?
Userlevel 3

The true it's that it haves NFC module...
Userlevel 5
Hmmm....
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
hi @kalantz
Thanks for your feedback, indeed some features you mentioned are in development. Some features are not so fast to be online for commercial cooperation or policy reasons. We always do our best to meet all customers needs and we are glad to hear your voices.
Userlevel 3
Doing mobile payments securely is actually very hard here in Europe to get the certifications required. So I wouldn't be surprised if Huawei shied away from that. I used to work for a bank where we did that before Google Pay Apple Pay and it was a lot of work. My guess is that Alipay don't have that which is why they can't operate outside China.

Having the hardware on the device is not where the complexity is.
Userlevel 5
Wow.

Im shocked this is a possibility.
Userlevel 3
Watch Faces is here!
New update 1.0.7.36

YES, the Watch Face Market is really here!
The only problem is, that after installing 4-5 watch faces I am out of storage.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to delete the pre-installed watch faces, despite the fact that the few of them I like...

Would it be possible to enable the deletion for the pre-installed watch faces?

Thx.
Userlevel 3
That will be a real problem on this watch, storage space!!!
We cannot dream about newer things, the storage space limitation it's a big problem in this watch, Huawei don't have space to innovate OS, space and ram memory...
Userlevel 3
I actually found the pre-installed faces more useful than the new ones 😞 Let's hope there's many more coming or, better still, an SDK so we can develop what we want.
I like the watch
in fact he is right woodpaul
it is useless to keep dials that you don't use you should have the possibility to install only the quardants that everyone is interested in.
Precisely because the GT has very little memory.
First on my LG Urban 2 I had 70 dials and about 200 personalized ones on Iphone. I feel the difference😭
Userlevel 2
yes too little memory will limit, coming from gear s3, this is sad, the real advantage on this watch it battery life and big display, i'll keep waiting if improves but i think will be limited... 😞
Userlevel 2
Watch Faces is here!
New update 1.0.7.36

Store it's not worldwide available, got the firmware update but not the store...
No store after update. What is going on Huawei?!
I got the watch update and then the new watch faces appeared after restarting the health app. Still no store or custom face creation yet...
I guess the custom faces thing was a lie and we're stuck with the preset ones they create. At least be honest with us and don't promise things you aren't going to provide
Userlevel 3
People, who said that the app will have a store or custom faces!
They will launch new faces that we can add to the watch...