Question

Watch GT - Bluetooth always on : Health risk because of huawei !

• 23 March 2019
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 4
Hello,

Unlike all the electronic devices I know that use bluetooth, you can't turn on/off the bluetooth on the Huawei Watch GT.

A recent study and an alert given by 250 scientists prove that Bluetooth waves are harmful to health and can cause cancer. It's very difficult at present time not to use bluetooth constantly, but I usually always turn off bluetooth on my devices when I don't need it anymore, mainly at night.

But the Huawei Watch GT is the only device where I can't turn off the bluetooth. So I get big quantity of waves at night because of this watch ! At night, my wrist is often close to my head (and to my wife's head !). People can tell me that I can stop the watch at night, but I need it because I use it to analyze my sleep and wake up, but I don't need bluetooth (my smartphone is OFF during the night)

I don't understand why Huawei doesn't add an option to disable bluetooth ?! So I could stop Bluetooth only at night. All others watches have it, even the low-cost Chinese watches... This is a problem that was raised some time ago but nothing had been done (again).

For me Huawei makes us take a health risk with the Watch GT !
Should we talk about it everywhere so that Huawei finally does something to improve this point ?

Here are the links on this scientific study :

http://www.technocracy.news/250-scientists-sign-petition-against-danger-of-cancer-from-bluetooth-radiation/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6796679/Are-AirPods-dangerous-250-scientists-warn-be.html

39 replies

Userlevel 2
"A recent study and an alert given by 250 scientists prove that Bluetooth waves are harmful to health and can cause cancer."

Not true. The 250 scientists sent a petition saying more research and oversight is needed, but there is still no evidence that this causes cancer.

see http://www.wtol.com/2019/03/20/verify-no-scientists-didnt-say-airpods-cause-cancer-they-do-have-questions/
Userlevel 4
Hi @mjposner

I'm agree with you but I'm sure you're understand if 250 scientists sent a petition for more research, it's because they think perhaps BT could be dangerous.

They don't undertake this highly media action just to say that everything is OK with bluetooth, and their purpose is to alert consumers and manufacturers of the possible dangerousness of BT. They talk about risk, it's called the precautionary principle, and doesn't blindly trust the manufacturers who say there's no danger.

So I ask Huawei to add this option which doesn't cost them anything and which gives the choice to the user to use or not the bluetooth and when.
That's what you had to understand in my first message.
Userlevel 2
You wrote " prove that Bluetooth waves are harmful to health and can cause cancer..." This is not true. The evidence is weak at best and for adults the risk is minimal (or non-existent).

https://www.consumerreports.org/radiation/do-i-need-to-worry-about-radiation-from-wifi-and-bluetooth-devices/

Much of this concern is fear mongering and conspiracy theorists

People with claims that wifi and/or bluetooth makes them sick either have psychological problems (see Better Call Saul) or undiagnosed conditions. When ever they are tested blindly the effect goes away.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/radiation-exposure/cellular-phones.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Olrik!

We kindly ask you not to worry about this.

Our devices have to pass some rigorous tests before going on sale. Our devices comply with the requirements of each market, so we kindly ask you not to worry about this matter.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Max
Userlevel 4
I more trusting scientist than Huawei for health questions ! Sorry...

I just want to have the possibility to put Bluetooth OFF. Only that.
So please, implement this function available on every others bluetooth device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
If you wish to disable bluetooth in the GT watch you can.

You simply power off the device.

The same for your mobile phone.
Userlevel 4
If you wish to disable bluetooth in the GT watch you can.

You simply power off the device.

The same for your mobile phone.

I think you don't read well my initial message : "People can tell me that I can stop the watch at night, but I need it because I use it to analyze my sleep and wake up, but I don't need bluetooth (my smartphone is OFF during the night)"
Userlevel 2
Respectfully, assuming your claim of bluetooth is correct and you turn off at night, you are still exposed 16 hours a day. I suggest you give up cell, watch and wifi then.
Userlevel 4
I just want to disable bluetooth at night because i don't use it at night
Is it diificult to understand ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey, @Olrik
Your watch emits a tiny amount of radiation. Wearing your watch long term will not harm your body.
  • The special absorption rate (SAR) is used internationally to determine safe amounts of radiation for the human body. According to the strict SAR requirements of the FCC in the United States, if a device's power is lower than a certain threshold, it is definitely safe and certification testing is not needed.
  • Your watch uses low power Bluetooth 4.2 technology, which has a power level of less than 10% of the limit set by the FCC, and is less than 1% of the power of a phone. In addition, Huawei has obtained an official FCC exemption evaluation report. Wearing your band over a long period will have no adverse effect on your health.
  • Your watch emits only 1% of the radiation that your phone emits so it is completely safe to use.
You can set your watch on DND mode at night, which brings you a quiet evening.😴
Userlevel 4
You can set your watch on DND mode at night, which brings you a quiet evening.😴

Thanks @Ove

What does it mean DND mode ? Sorry english is not my native language.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Do Not Disturb
Userlevel 3
BLE is absolutely tiny power output compared with WiFi, mobile phones, Cell towers, broadcast transmissions, aircraft radio, taxi radios, local amateur radio, and even radar. All of this low compared with the electromagnetic radiation coming from your 50Hz mains power supply, lighting transformers and even cosmic radiation. Unless you turn off your power overnight and have shielded your house from external radiation sources, I wouldn't be too concerned about BLE. I'm a radio amateur, so I'm constantly fighting against the radio interference all around us in every house - large electrical equipment is by far the biggest problem like fridges and TV's because it emits radio noise over many bandwidths. BLE is so small, I even have a bluetooth transmitter inside my radio circuit right next to the sensitive receiver and it causes no interference whereas a lighting transformer at the other side of the house drowns out all signals when it's on !
Userlevel 4
no news about the BLE on/off ??
Userlevel 1
No news about anything from Huawei, and people are selling their toys...wake up Huawei, please!
Userlevel 1
Hi Olrik!

We kindly ask you not to worry about this.

Our devices have to pass some rigorous tests before going on sale. Our devices comply with the requirements of each market, so we kindly ask you not to worry about this matter.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Max

The fact is that the devices has to comply with requirement set by the market, not by health studies. So I would like to have the possibility to set the bluetooth on or off when I sleep or I play with my daughter. We already have a lot of electromagnetic fields always on, and when I can I turn them off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
You can turn off bluetooth.

Simply switch the device off or place it in a signal blocker pouch (few pound off eBay etc) if you are hyper sensitive , another free method is place in another room.

Note your room will still receive energy from others WiFi, 3g signals, TV signals, brick radiation etc
Userlevel 1
You can turn off bluetooth.

Simply switch the device off or place it in a signal blocker pouch (few pound off eBay etc) if you are hyper sensitive , another free method is place in another room.

Note your room will still receive energy from others WiFi, 3g signals, TV signals, brick radiation etc

The point is not that I am hyper sensitive, but that I can't choose. Everybody knows how to switch off the device but if I buy a watch to monitor my sleep, the solution is not to switch it off at night: maybe switch off the bluetooth would be clever. You are free to understand what you want, but please don't feel obligate to give me other banal answers, I am not stupid.
Turning on/off BT on watch is great idea. Can you please add that option...
There's a higher risk of getting cancer from uv sunlight than low power Bluetooth. It doesn't stop me walking outside. The Daily Mail isn't the best source to blindly believe in without fact checking their misleading headlines.
Userlevel 1
There's a higher risk of getting cancer from uv sunlight than low power Bluetooth. It doesn't stop me walking outside. The Daily Mail isn't the best source to blindly believe in without fact checking their misleading headlines.
I am biologist, I don't read Daily Mail about health issues but scientific papers. And I already have cancer, so I don't like this kind of banal replies to serious issues. You can do whatever you want, reading whatever you want and walk wherever you want, but you should respect opinions different from yours. We are only asking to have the choice: is it a problem for you? About the risk of bluetooth, the only certain thing is that there aren't clinical study, so scientists (not Daily Mail journalist) says that it's not known if bluetooth is safe or not. So they SUGGEST a cautelative approach (for exemple not to put a Bluetooth source directly in contact with your head for a long time), which it doesn't mean not to use bluetooth but only to be prudent, because today you still don't know if it safe or it hurts you (probably not, but yoy don't know). Then, you can do whatever you want, as for me I would only have the freedom to turn bluetooth off sometimes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
As previous stated in numerous threads if you wish to turn off the Bluetooth you need to turn off the watch.

I believe stuntman and others in their responses are simply stating you will receive more radiation from more common sources that you can't switch off. These are things in established science , in peer reviewed publications.

I hope your cancer treatment is successful.
Userlevel 1
As previous stated in numerous threads if you wish to turn off the Bluetooth you need to turn off the watch.

I believe stuntman and others in their responses are simply stating you will receive more radiation from more common sources that you can't switch off. These are things in established science , in peer reviewed publications.

I hope your cancer treatment is successful.

Cillphone, I know that if I want to turn off the bluetooth I have to turn off the watch. I'm only saying that I would like to have an airplain mode: in this way I could turn off the bluetooth without turning off the watch. I don't fear bluetooth so much and I know that we are submerged by different radiation from a lot of sources, but I think that having the choice to turn off one of them when you don't need it could be a good thing for users. I turn off wifi at home when I don't need it and I know that my neighbours have their wifi on, but I think that customers should have the freedom to choose when it's possible, even if the effect is such a small thing. So, I don't think that airplane mode is a terrible suggestion, but maybe I am wrong because I can't understand such a negative approach from you, stuntman and others to this simple request. However I give up.
P.S. thank you so much for your thinking to my cancer treatment, I appreciate it.
With all respict for all our friends here
This guy has a point and its a big one
And i am here just to ask the same thing
This option will not harm any user of huawei watchs
Personaly.... When i uses any of huawei or any bluetooth earbuds i get headech symptoms and light diziness and after removing them those symptoms will be gone

Basically.... The main point here give the consumers their freedoms to control their devices thats all what we want... We didnt ask huawei to remove bluetooth we just want to have ability to turn it off
If you dont care for any studies... Me and him anf the other side of huawei consumers are caring for any thing like this its our health anf our right not yours if you dont care dont be like dam in our way and help us here rether fighting us
You must absolutely put an option to disable bluetooth on your watch. A synchronization per day is sufficient for many people. Having a bluetooth touch permanently on your skin is not desirable for many people. Especially people with heart problems and who buy this watch to monitor his heartbeat. If you do not do that I will have to resell this watch. Like many people it would seem like the forums.