Question

Watch GT - Bluetooth always on : Health risk because of huawei !

• 23 March 2019
  • 39 replies

Show first post

39 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello,

We can't disable bluetooth on the Watch GT which is a first for an electronic device. Congrat Huawei!

=> The bluetooth of my phone is never turned on. Why would I want to let the bluetooth of my watch on?

=> Many studies show that EMF radiation (ex: bluetooth) decrease melatonin in the brain when you sleep. And melatonin is one of the most important hormone to stay healthy. You can learn more about EMF radiation and melatonin. This is very fascinating.

=> Even if you don't "believe" in this. At the bear minimum, let people choose for themselve. I've seen many people asking for this feature already.

Huawey, just do your job. Listen to user feedbacks and improve your product.

I mainly bought this watch to track my sleep without having the thought that I couldn't turn the bluetooth off. It was not even in the realm of possibility. I was wrong.

so...

!!! DO NOT SAY to turn off the watch !!!

Thank you in advance
Userlevel 2
A week has already passed and still no update.... can't understand why they preternd not being able to recognise and fix the OBVIOUS DEMAND. SWITCH OF THE DAMNED BLUETOOTH!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Someone has been reading too many conspiracy theories haha.

@Olrik how many people do you know that have has cancer that's been attributed to Bluetooth or other electronic devices?
I have understood that there are some functionalities of this band that are particularly battery intensive. Some are so because they use CPU. Others when GPS is on and this is not the case.
A case that could be easily managed by firmware team is about bluetooth. Bluetooth is always on.
That's not needed. Yes, I know: the problem you face is to reduce dependence from user behaviour. You should give the user a way to enable/disable bluetooth i.e. from "Other" menu. On reboots put bluetooth always on. This way you solve functionality dependence from user and you give a chance to reduce battery usage. Your product acquires great value. Think about It. I totally agree with the smart question asked by the starter of this thread. Not all commenta are that way smart. Regards.
Someone has been reading too many conspiracy theories haha.

@Olrik how many people do you know that have has cancer that's been attributed to Bluetooth or other electronic devices?

The main problem is battery draining. Stop draining "batteries" 😉. Regards.
Userlevel 4
I totally agree with the author of this thread Bluetooth when we are sleeping is not needed so it would save battery regardless whether the bluetooth is harmful or not.

No matter how many research we make, we won't reach to a conclusion whether it is harmful or not.

This doesn't mean that a simple functionality like disabling the bluetooth could not be implemented. It should be and it is something simple but useful as well.
I would love if this feature is set, just not only for the radiation, you can also safe some battery (make sense if you are not using it during the nigth, and still it can track the sleep stuff). I have already set my "No Disturb Mode" during my sleep from 12pm to 8am, wondering if also can disable or put in Airplane mode to turn off the bluetooth.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
If we are talking about health risk take in mind that we are sorrounded by gsm towers, and when you put your phone on the ear it is connected to the tower maybe 5km away...so is that healthy? When you sleep you are sorrounded by all kinds of radio signals...wifi ( 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), gsm, radio, TV...so i would not bother with this low power BT signal. There is a reason the bt is always on on this device.
Userlevel 2
The density of the radiation plays role!! I don't bother about the GSM signals 5Km away or the WifI in the leaving room10 meters away...radiation goes down following th RxR rule...and in a omnidirectional way .We are talking here having the bluetooth radiation IN CONTACT with the skin!! 24 hours/365 days. And 20 cm max from the brain during sleep...What an obsession to try to persuade that take it as something natural..and not try TO FIX IT!
Userlevel 4
The density of the radiation plays role!! I don't bother about the GSM signals 5Km away or the WifI in the leaving room10 meters away...radiation goes down following th RxR rule...and in a omnidirectional way .We are talking here having the bluetooth radiation IN CONTACT with the skin!! 24 hours/365 days. And 20 cm max from the brain during sleep...What an obsession to try to persuade that take it as something natural..and not try TO FIX IT!
I agree it is something that needs to fixed asap
Userlevel 2
Hello everyone. I really find Huawei Gt an amazing watch and one of the most beautiful currently in the market. I was very close to buy it until I read that I cannot switch off the bluetooth. I want to wear this watch and track my sports activity and monitor my sleep but I really don't want this to always have bluetooth switched on. This is a signifficant barrier for me and I cannot buy it as long as this feature is not fixed.

I would kindly ask huawei developers / technicians to provide a comment on whether this can be fixed or not so to know what to expect. It has been more than a year the users are asking for this but there is no official reply. If this cannot be fixed, just please let us know.

Thank you very much in advance
Userlevel 4
Hello everyone. I really find Huawei Gt an amazing watch and one of the most beautiful currently in the market. I was very close to buy it until I read that I cannot switch off the bluetooth. I want to wear this watch and track my sports activity and monitor my sleep but I really don't want this to always have bluetooth switched on. This is a signifficant barrier for me and I cannot buy it as long as this feature is not fixed.

I would kindly ask huawei developers / technicians to provide a comment on whether this can be fixed or not so to know what to expect. It has been more than a year the users are asking for this but there is no official reply. If this cannot be fixed, just please let us know.

Thank you very much in advance

I had a discussion in a tech forum and there were many people there commenting the same thing. They asked me as an owner if the functionality is implemented (to turn bluetooth off). There are many people that they do not buy it for that reason. I wasn't aware of this issue when bought it.
Userlevel 2
Iam afraid..that they have produce..a very hot 'potato'...having all the goods, except the on-off of the bluetooth!! maybe they can't do nothing because it is hardware-connected to open and there is no 'software switch' to turn it off....!!! ( cheapy things) I don't wear the watch waiting for an answer from Huawei, in order to sell it
Userlevel 4
Iam afraid..that they have produce..a very hot 'potato'...having all the goods, except the on-off of the bluetooth!! maybe they can't do nothing because it is hardware-connected to open and there is no 'software switch' to turn it off....!!! ( cheapy things) I don't wear the watch waiting for an answer from Huawei, in order to sell it
This cannot be a hardware issue. The bluetooth antenna like any antenna can be switched off. It's just a matter of implementation in Huawei's operating system. This is a must do and very important...A lot of people are waiting for an update to fix this issue.