Answered

Watch GT with no Strava integration?!

• 11 December 2018
  • 103 replies

Show first post

103 replies

Userlevel 3
Ok one good news, tried the new version of the Health app and now data/activities are synced to my other phone (both phones are not huawei), now if we could only get import/export of activities to gpx/tcx everything will be great.
As a fitness oriented watch, how come it is NOT possible to sync workouts to STRAVA? I've seen many suggestions for clear improvement but who decided not to syn workouts to strava in a watch focused on exercise??
SOLUTION. I'm assuming you have an Android phone. Sync huawei GT to Google fit on your phone. Sync Google fit to Strava (contact me if you can't do this). Job done. I have Samsung Galaxy and this works fine for me.
Userlevel 2

As a fitness oriented watch, how come it is NOT possible to sync workouts to STRAVA? I've seen many suggestions for clear improvement but who decided not to syn workouts to strava in a watch focused on exercise??SOLUTION. I'm assuming you have an Android phone. Sync huawei GT to Google fit on your phone. Sync Google fit to Strava (contact me if you can't do this). Job done. I have Samsung Galaxy and this works fine for me.

Sorry @Arslan1uk , but this is not a solution for me.
Sync between Health and Google Fit works in a strange way: sometimes does not sync anything, sometimes sycn some data, but never all data. There is no way to select what you want to sync and what not.
Userlevel 3

As a fitness oriented watch, how come it is NOT possible to sync workouts to STRAVA? I've seen many suggestions for clear improvement but who decided not to syn workouts to strava in a watch focused on exercise??SOLUTION. I'm assuming you have an Android phone. Sync huawei GT to Google fit on your phone. Sync Google fit to Strava (contact me if you can't do this). Job done. I have Samsung Galaxy and this works fine for me.

Tried that but it does not work with the Health app. The running activity data is exported combined as a step count/waking activity with no gps data. Somehow the health app exports the activities wrong. Tested with garmin connect and the activites are exported and imported correctly into google fit which confirms that the problem is with the Heath app.
As a fitness oriented watch, how come it is NOT possible to sync workouts to STRAVA? I've seen many suggestions for clear improvement but who decided not to syn workouts to strava in a watch focused on exercise??

At least the possibility to export a GPX file
Having bought the Mate 20 pro and watch Gt, I cannot believe that they do not data share with Strava, this should be a basic function for a fitness watch, does anyone know if this is ever going to work or are Huawei going to ignore its customers forever????
Userlevel 4
Having bought the Mate 20 pro and watch Gt, I cannot believe that they do not data share with Strava, this should be a basic function for a fitness watch, does anyone know if this is ever going to work or are Huawei going to ignore its customers forever????

Probably the later I would say, they have no interest
Userlevel 3
Yes, they are ignoring the customers, that's why I tell everybody that is interested in the watch to stay away from it and every other Huawei product, but this seems to be a general consensus from user of huawei products, once they use one they never get another ( should have listened to them, luckly I've still got my garmin fenix 3, that does way more than this watch and also its app - garmin connect, integrates with 3-rd party apps)....
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Joretogt I'm also going back to Garmin in September if the GT still doesn't have Strava by then.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Danjl why can't anyone at Huawei give us customers a straight answer about Strava and Watch GT?
Userlevel 3
@Danjl why can't anyone at Huawei give us customers a straight answer about Strava and Watch GT?
Because they don't care. I'll highly doubt there will be a straight answer. It's a pity that such an overlook in the health app can spoil the whole experience of an otherwise great product (I really like the watch), and the unwillingness to fix the issue ( import/export implementation is a 1-2 day task at most, I'm an android dev.) can drive me away from buying other products from Huawei in the future.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@MBDeaks , I'm raising a several outstanding topics today to see if someone can update the community. Can guarantee anything.
Userlevel 3

@Danjl why can't anyone at Huawei give us customers a straight answer about Strava and Watch GT?Because they don't care. I'll highly doubt there will be a straight answer. It's a pity that such an overlook in the health app can spoil the whole experience of an otherwise great product (I really like the watch), and the unwillingness to fix the issue ( import/export implementation is a 1-2 day task at most, I'm an android dev.) can drive me away from buying other products from Huawei in the future.

On latest chinese beta Health app has appeared a new option for exporting GPS data, as you can see from below screenshot:

Userlevel 5
Badge
@jospic that's not Strava though is it. Might be a work around but it's not Strava. Garmin, Fitbit, Samsung and Apple all have Strava. Social elements are important for fitness, surrounding yourself with like minded people who can encourage and support your goals. Even compete with eachother. This is why I'm moving away from Huawei fitness trackers. It's a very lonely place being a Huawei fitness tracker owner.
Userlevel 3
This is a step in the right direction but for me "Save GPS files" and Export are two different things, lets hope that in this case Save will allow export (also very important is the format in which they are saved). Another question arises from the pic, does this mean that gps data will be save only when that version is deployed, in that case what happens to my old activities ? I guess I won't be able to export them ? Any way we'll see when that version becomes available.

@MBDeaks , I'm also staying way from Huawei products from now on, I'm currently researching to buy 3 fitness bands for family members and Huawei/Honor is off the table, I'll probably end up buying Garmin or Fitbit .
Userlevel 3
Small update, I installed the beta app, turned on "Save GPS Files" and tracked a walking activity, unfortunately I could not find and export option for the activity so for now it seems that import/export is no go . I also search for the save gps files but they seem to be in a proprietary format.
Userlevel 1
Hi all please sign this petition:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/huawei-please-add-gpxtcx-export-and-sync-to
Userlevel 1
I finally gave up on Huawei, sold the Watch GT and bought a Coros Pace, which is in the same price range. It doesn't look as good as the Watch GT and doesn't have touch screen, but it does solves every single gripe I had against the GT. The Coros has seamless Strava integration, .fit/.gpx file export, barometer calibration (manual or GPS), great battery life, always-on display, a temperature sensor, OK looking (simple) watch faces, fast syncing / firmware updates, and solid heart rate monitoring. I've been using it for running, swimming (it doesn't miss a single pool lap), biking and hiking in the last weeks, and really, I have no complaint. Bye bye Huawei.
Userlevel 3
Great, the Coros looks like a great watch and like it's onpar with suunto and gramin! I'm also not using the GT for my activity tracking (using the Garmin) and I'm also considering getting rid of it. No one who is serious about training is going to use the watch gt because of this issues.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Ive bought a Fenix 5 and it tracks my fitness very well (although sleep tracking isn't as good as the GT). I'm selling my GT and going to buy a HR strap with the money. It's a better set up for people who are more into fitness. The Watch GT is a confused product. I don't really know who they are aiming it now. If you go on the forums and Facebook pages, more GT owners are interested in watch face design than they are fitness tracking functions.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@MBDeaks Can't guarantee anything.

@Danjl that's the reason why me and many others have given up on this product and future Huawei wearables. No roadmap, no transparency, no fixes, slow to communicate, slow to react, no guarantees. Just poor poor product management from Huawei. The GT is almost a year old and still some of the most basic fitness features aren't fixed (e.g daily calorie count).
Userlevel 3
@MBDeaks , that's a great combo, I use the gamin fenix 3 with the HRM-Run, it's great as it gives you additional metrics like vertical oscillation, vertical ratio etc.
Userlevel 3
Ok so 2 hours ago I posted a reply, which said that a moderator would have to confrim it (and it's still not online), so is censorship the next thing ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Joretogt - for some reason your response wasn't flagged as needing moderation. Just spotted it and 'approved'.
Userlevel 3
@Danjl - Thanks !