GripTight PRO 2 GorillaPod Mobile Phone Tripod Review

• 17 February 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Disclaimer
I've been given one of these to evaluate, so you can read the following with that in mind.

What's in the box?
There are 3 items in the box; the flexible tripod, the head and a user guide which is just pictorial and is here:

It would be nice if the web site included the user guides, but I couldn't find them. I thought the user guide was fine, I mean how much detail do you need for a device like this? Lol.

Legs
The legs are 20cm long and are reassuringly stiff so no worries on clamping your expensive phone onto some random pole.

Camera Height
Using my P20 Pro in landscape mode, the height from the desk to the lens was measured with the legs extended fully out horizontally (low) and then the legs up in a stable configuration (high). The low measurement was 16.5cm and the high was 31cm.

Cold Shoe
At the top of the clamp is a cold shoe which is pretty handy for adding extra items. More detail on this later on.

The clamp
The phone clamp is a reassuring V shape. It appears to be covered in something like vulcanised rubber which has an excellent grip. The V shape goes down to a point, which means there's a gap between the small edge of a phone and the V. This means you can position the phone with the buttons inside the V and they don't get pressed like other flat clamps.

I inserted my phone into the clamp and tried to pull it out sideways. I could slide it, but it needed quite a bit of force, so I'd be happy the phone won't slip out.

The maximum size of the clamp is around 10cm and the minimum is around 6cm. The web site says it is suitable for a “Small Phone” but I didn't find this description detailed enough.

Portrait/Landscape
There is a screw on the back of the clamp to rotate between portrait/landscape. Please take note that this is the same screw used to adjust the clamp for the phone. I'd recommend squeezing the clamp while changing between portrait/landscape to make sure your phone doesn't go slip slidey!

Forward/Backward
A second screw on the head allows forward/backward tilt. The range is about 150° which is quite generous and means you can take pictures:

Straight ahead
Of the sky
Of the ground

Threaded Inserts
At the bottom of the head are 2 1/4”-20 female threaded inserts which will fit any standard tripod size screw. The Joby site shows these being used with flexible legs for LED lighting but once again if you search eBay for “1/4 camera adaptor” you'll find shedloads of things you can screw in here.

Clamping onto things

Getting creative
If you search eBay for “cold shoe” you will see there's hundreds of different items you can plug into this. My favourite is a “3 axis spirit level” so you can make sure your camera is level on all 3 axes. My cheapy one from eBay is a bit of a tight fit, so I'll run it across some sandpaper later. You can also buy cold shoe LED lights which is pretty handy.

As for the 2 1/4”-20 female screws on the side, once again there are hundreds of items you can buy; you can buy cold shoe adaptors, giving you a maximum of 3 cold shoes, ready to plug in whatever you like. You can also get ball adaptors so you could put another 2 cameras on the sides. Stereo anyone?

Joby also do what they call is a Mobile Rig which you can see here:

Mobile Rig

Traditional tripod
The nut on bottom of the head is a standard 1/4”-20 fitting so it will fit any traditional camera tripod as follows:

In Use
I'm interested in focus bracketing so lined up a few lego figures to demonstrate the feature using the tripod. The setup was as follows:

50 images were taken at different focal lengths using OpenCamera and then stacked with Helicon Focus. Notice that all items are in focus, from the extreme foreground of the granny, to the fence in the distance. The granny has a bit of a halo round her hair, but I didn't fix that for now. Below is the 1st photo in the stack for reference, followed by the stacked image.

I've been playing with focus bracketing for a little while, so will post up some info if there's any interest, let me know.

Price
https://joby.com/uk-en/griptight-pro-2-gorillapod-jb01551-bww/ price is £72.95. At the time of writing, you can find it cheaper on eBay if you search for Gorillapod 2 from £46.75.

Web Site
https://joby.com/uk-en/

The web site needs some maintenance and has a number of broken links. The root of the site is Joby Global at https://joby.com and https://www.brokenlinkcheck.com/ reports 39 broken links.

At Joby.com there is an option to choose your country, but the UK is not in the list, despite there being a UK version of the site.

The version of the tripod I'm reviewing is the GripTight Gorillapod 2 but I couldn't find this model by clicking on the GORILLAPOD menu at the top. Joby make a large amount of products and I think the website could do with reorganising to make it clearer to use. I did find my tripod by using the search facility.

Conclusion
This is a well made, stable and well thought out device which is very adaptable. Would I trust this device with my £800.00 phone? Yes.

The majority of the device is plastic, but screws and guides are all metal so should be long lasting.

The price in the Joby web site is quite high but it can be found cheaper on eBay.

The slight gotcha is the screw to rotate the phone to portrait/landscape is the same as the one that clamps the phone so you need to hold the clamp if you rotate the phone to make sure it doesn't slip out when you're photographing that river (eek!). The user guide step 4 shows you adjusting the rotation with one hand, but I think it could be improved to show your other hand clamping the phone tight.

If anyone needs more info, please let me know and I'll do what I can.

Cheers

Steve

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Nice article Steve👍👍, I'm trying out the baby brother of this product at the moment and shall be posting up something once I get to grips with it (pun intended lol)
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @Jase Thanks very much. I quite enjoyed reviewing it. I look forward to seeing your article and yes, good pun :-)

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Great review Steve!

Thank you for sharing! 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Glad you like it 🙂