Sticky Blog

Huawei 5G Phone - First Impressions of the Mate 20 X 5G

Huawei 5G Phone - First Impressions of the Mate 20 X 5G
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
5G is here in the UK at least with Huawei.

Their first 5G smartphone is the huge Mate 20 X 5G.

Here are my first impressions as I delve into this smartphone.

First lets talk about 5G - 5G is being rolled out across the UK and this post is not talking about the network speed but generally about the device as a whole.

The device will be fast not just because its can use 5G networks but because its the first Huawei phone with the Balong 5000 chip , a modem that is clever, allowing your phone to switch between the evolving 5G architecture as its rolled out!

In the box you get the usual affair, as well as the device you get USB-C headphones , charging cable and fast-charger. There is also a gel case but depending on your network this may or may not be in the box.

The screen is a huge 7.2" OLED display which I thought was stunning, its immersive allowing me to fade into netflix and chill or type up a few memos. The other advantage of such a large screen other than the obvious is that such a huge screen allows you to take control of your photography settings simple touches moving through the features is a dream.

It's a huge phone but its not fat, its like a regular gym buddy at only 8.3mm thick so no embarrassing bulges on the commute.

The phone carries the Mate 20 square camera design featuring 3 Leica lenses a 40-megapixel main lens with an f/1.8 aperture, a 20-megapixel f/2.2 aperture ultra-wide lens, and an 8-megapixel, f/2.4 telephoto lens. It has a 3x ( My mate 20 zooms to 30x so maybe update incoming too for this device) optical zoom, a night mode, a wide-angle mode, and all the AI features that make photography easy.

In my short shot week with the phone it took great photos but I'll leave another wonder's blog post to show that off.

4,200mAh battery making a days use without a problem but I'd like it to be a little bit larger if I'm honest, I got a full days use no issue but very heavy users (8+ hrs screen time) may need that 20 min quick charge to keep them going.

Huawei Kirin 980 with 8GB ram, 256GB storage, Android 9 running EMUI 9.1

This would make a great phone for gaming , I had a few spells playing my favourites and having such a large screen almost felt like I was cheating.

This phone also take advantage of Huawei's M-Pen sold separately that would be great for note taking.

This will be substantial cheaper than the forth coming X foldable phone and I expect this could take a few knocks and bumps too. The future is fast , its 5G and its here, today.

My daily phone is now a battered much loved 😍Mate 20 Pro and I'd switch to the 5G wonder in a heartbeat, maybe you should too.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Great read, looking forward to getting my hands on this for the photography side 👍👌👐📷
Userlevel 4
Great article, enjoyed the read
Userlevel 3
Good article. . . What sort of speeds did you get using 5G?
Also which network/area did you test it on?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Well written, nice article!
Userlevel 6
Badge
Really enjoyed reading that 😊 great work
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Curious to hear whether it has indeed been shipped as dual-SIM (hybrid) ?

Also whether you have been able to determine if it works on 5G with Vodafone and EE ? I'm unclear whether the usual frequency support listings are as relevant for 5G, but suspect that (at least early 5G adopters) many devices may target specific territories/frequencies, and know that Three (who will officially sell/support the Mate 20) use a significantly broader spectrum than Voda or EE
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I think like all devices it depends on the region device, this is a dual SIM variant but often the test models are but the actual UK devices tend to be single SIM.

The modem apparently supports NSA and SA 5g but I didn't test the 5G aspect of the device , a wonder based in a current 5G zone should be posting about 5G speeds etc shortly.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Looks good but it would be good to see how it performs on my network at home as it's ridiculously patchy so hopefully the increase in bandwith/coverage should solve some of the notspots I experience, even in the house!
Huawei Mate x 20 5G.
Can you please confirm if this phone supports wireless charging
Userlevel 4
Badge
Great article. Could this be the new work handset 🤔