Huawei Band 2 Pro

• 6 August 2018
  • 5 replies
Huawei Band 2 Pro
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Huawei Wonder
  • 290 replies
In a market literally flooded with fitness trackers, the Huawei Band 2 Pro stands out with its impressive battery life and comfortable design. Sure other bands may offer more features but considering the Band 2 Pro can be picked up for less than £50, what you get is somewhat of a bargain.

This waterproof wearable includes GPS, an always-on heart rate sensor, sleep tracking, gesture controls and certainly in my experience the best battery life I have seen in a device with this many features. Huawei claims you can get up to 21 days out of a single charge from the Band 2 Pro – and this may be the case if you disable some of the features however I chose to leave everything on and I'm finding myself charging this every 7 or 8 days. This is absolutely not a complaint, the Band 2 Pro charges extremely quickly so I have no issues with taking it off my wrist once a week for an hour if I can then leave it on for an entire week and not have to compromise on features. I have owned smartwatches in the past which have required charging every single day and fitness trackers which have struggled to get beyond 48 hours so to have a device which I can use to receive notifications, track my runs via GPS while also monitoring my heart rate and providing feedback, wear in the bath or shower, monitor my sleep patterns and to do all of that in a 24 hour period without heavily draining the battery is incredible. Especially at this price.

You will forget you're wearing it
Looks-wise everything is pretty much as you would expect from a budget fitness tracker. There is a 0.91” OLED display which admittedly is a bit dim and difficult to see in direct sunlight, however, its nicely laid out and provides more than enough information on its small screen, which it’s worth mentioning isn’t a touchscreen. Instead what you get is a small touch-sensitive button underneath for navigating through the various menus, tap once to move to the next screen and tap and hold to start an activity such as checking your heart-rate or tracking your run. The Band 2 Pro is held together with a silicone strap which is comfortable to wear to the point where after a short time you forget you’re even wearing it, which is just what you want from a device designed to be worn 24/7 – including while you sleep. The main body of the unit is curved to fit nicely around your wrist and its incredibly light so you should find any discomfort from wearing this for long periods of time.

An excellent fitness tracker
Now while this isn’t a smartwatch, the Band 2 Pro does provide notifications when paired with your smartphone so it will alert you when someone is calling or if you have received a message either via SMS or through various social media apps. The main appeal of this device, however, is the fitness tracking and again this is something the Band 2 Pro excels in despite its relatively low price. You can track indoor and outdoor runs, cycling and even swimming all while using GPS, real GPS too, this band doesn’t just pull location data from the paired smartphone like some other trackers do meaning you can actually leave your phone at home while you go for a run. Accuracy is pretty good too, in my tests the GPS locked on within a matter of seconds and provided accurate feedback on my route. If you’re a swimmer then the Band 2 Pro has you covered too as its waterproof to a depth of 5m.

Sleep tracking with TruSleep
My favourite feature is the sleep tracking. Using a method they call TruSleep, Huawei has teamed up with the Harvard Medical School to provide REM, deep and light sleep stats to work out a sleep quality score for each night you spend in bed. It’s a nice touch to be able to use the Health app on your phone to look back at how well you've been sleeping and the band seems scaily accurate at determining exactly what time you fall asleep and what time you wake up, even picking up the times you may get up to use the toilet during the night. You can even set a silent alarm to wake you in the morning at a set time by gently vibrating the band.

A real bargain
There may be other fitness trackers on the market which offer more features or deliver a more premium look and feel however for the price what you get with the Huawei Band 2 Pro is nothing short of astonishing. Real GPS, fitness tracking, notification support and an accurate heart rate sensor are all things you would normally expect to find in a device which costs twice as much as this, making this fitness tracker a real bargain.

5 replies

Maybe you have some advice on problem I have with sleep tracker- see earlier post from Joan?
How big is the wrist band as my wrist is 9in
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Eric Eke ,

The wrist coverage size is the standard: approximately 140 mm–210 mm (5.5 inches–8.2 inches). Usually watches and smartbands are made to be universal in a way that you can modify their size, but there's only so much that we can do to make it comfortable to wear for most our customers.

Have a great day,
Max
Is there any way to add a jump rope / skipping counter to this band? I'm tracking my skipping sessions with the indoor run setting at the minute, which is naturally not very accurate.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hello @Roxanna, welcome to our community!

We appreciate your input and are very thankful that you took the time to write these suggestions regarding the jump rope and skipping counter features.

Your requests have been passed on to the development team and we can assure you that they will be taken into account for future updates and development.

Big thanks for your feedback!

Should you have any further queries, please feel free to get back to us anytime. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT