Huawei Mate 20 Pro, the game-changer

• 19 October 2018
  • 5 replies
Huawei Mate 20 Pro, the game-changer
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Huawei Wonder
  • 290 replies
Last week I was presented with an opportunity too good to turn down, to receive a Huawei Mate 20 Pro on the day it was announced to the world so that I could get to know the device inside and out and give you all my first impressions. I probably will do that however I’m sure if you’re reading this now you’ve either already seen the press conference or you’ve read all about the phone on various tech sites so I’m going to do something a little different – I’m not going to list all the specs and tell you this is the best thing since sliced bread, what I would like to do is point out several key features of this phone which for me are absolute game-changers and something that Huawei’s rivals are either not doing very well or aren’t doing at all. These are the features you should be most excited about.

Reverse wireless charging.
It’s so simple I’m not sure why no one has done this before now. Phones have been capable of wireless charging for quite some time now but the Huawei Mate 20 Pro is the first phone on the market which allows you to actually share your battery life with another device simply by laying it on the back of the phone. Have a friend with an iPhone XS whose battery just happens to be running a bit low? No problem, simply enable this mode in the phones settings and place their phone on the back of yours and you can transfer power to them.

This is ridiculously clever and I fully expect every other manufacturer to start including this feature in their flagships in coming years. For me the main benefit of this is not to charge your pals phones but rather for those of you who may own a smartwatch or pair of wireless earphones that support wireless charging. The Mate 20 Pro has a generous 4200mAh battery (larger than the Galaxy Note 9) so you should have plenty of charge to spare if your watch is running a little low.

Oh and speaking of the battery, the Mate 20 Pro supports 40W fast-charging meaning you can get an incredible 70% charge in only 30 minutes.

In-display fingerprint sensor
This isn’t exactly a new feature as several other phones in the past year have attempted this but this is the first time it really feels useful. Using dynamic pressure sensing technology, Huawei claim this sensor is 30% quick than any of its rivals and it really shows. Using this feature just seems really futuristic, were used to having to use actual buttons to unlock our phones with our fingerprints so this method not only feels revolutionary but is also really cool to show your mates.

3D face unlock
Face unlocking isn’t new but not many phones use 3D facial recognition. The Mate 20 Pro’s notch houses a camera capable of detecting the depth of your facial features to provide a more accurate and secure unlocking system – and its quick! As much as I love the in-display fingerprint scanner the 3D face unlock is so quick it’s just easier to pick up your phone and have it immediately unlock when you look at it.

3D object scanning
I absolutely love the idea of this. Yes it’s not new, Sony have been doing something similar in their phones for a few years now but their focus has been on creating 3D models of your face whereas here Huawei have raised the bar – the Mate 20 Pro allows you to 3D scan an object and then use augmented reality to overlay that image into your photos and videos. Oh and you can animate it too! Does your child have a favourite teddy bear? Well you can use the 3D object scanning to bring that bear to life and make it dance around in real-time while recording a video.

The Huawei Mate 20 Pro is not only a gorgeous looking powerhouse of a phone but it’s also packed full of features that feel like they’re heralding a new age of what a mobile phone is capable of. This isn’t just your typical yearly upgrade, what we have here is the future. Huawei are absolutely at the forefront of the mobile industry and now every other manufacturer is playing catchup.

5 replies

Amazing blog for an amazing device! Nice one mate!
Userlevel 5
Badge
I absolutely love the 3D object scanning, hope I get the opportunity to put this through it paces. I think we will be seeing a lot more of this & some really funny home maders in the coming weeks.
Userlevel 4
Cool post. People find it hard to believe you can wirelessly charge their flat iPhone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Cool post. People find it hard to believe you can wirelessly charge their flat iPhone!
Thanks Gavin. I ran a training session on the Mate 20 Pro at work a few days ago and for me the best bit was when I asked a colleague to pass me their iPhone (which was running low on battery) and I showed everyone how easy it was to share power to another device. They were absolutely blown away by this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Still getting to grips with the device but things I immediately love are:

Bokeh background effect for selfies

Wide aperture lens

Night mode, omfg this is stunning

Screen looks fantastic at high-resolution.

Fast charging!