Sticky Blog

Huawei P30 Pro Front Camera: Is it any good? Let's find out...

• 23 April 2019
  • 8 replies
Huawei P30 Pro Front Camera: Is it any good? Let's find out...
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I was fortunate enough to spend some time with the latest Huawei flagship – the P30 Pro. I think by now we are all aware of the amazing cameras on the phone especially the rear cameras, but I wanted to focus entirely on the front facing camera. Is it any good? Well before you watch the main feature video below, let’s have a quick overview of what the front facing camera has to offer.

The camera uses a 32Mp quad sensor. That's a very high resolution for a front facing camera. This gives you high clarity and detailed selfies. Yay! The quad sensor allows the camera to capture in HDR (High Dynamic Range) at four different exposure times. AI HDR+ evaluates these four exposures to combine the best features into one shot. This process happens with both video and photos. Light and colour are balanced to bring your beautiful 👧🏽 or handsome 👨🏽 face into focus. What more could you ask for? 😜

The camera lens is placed within a 6.64mm wide dewdrop notch. It is a fixed focus lens meaning it will not auto focus on you like the rear cameras. Thus, the sweet spot for sharp focused shots is 55 cm away - which is about the length of your arm fully outstretched. You may look a bit far away in the preview, but you can always zoom in and crop after the photo is taken.

The camera has an f/2.0 aperture lens with a narrow depth of field - ideal for those portrait shots with out of focus backgrounds (also known as the bokeh effect). Who needs a big heavy DSLR camera.😃

There are many multi-level bokeh effects to choose from – from blurred background hearts and circles, to photo booth and venetian blind effects. Plenty of filters to choose from too! There are also many other features like pro lighting effects to enhance your selfies.

AR Lens is a fun feature which lets you choose from a variety of characters (3D Qmoji) which animate in real time to your face.🐷🐰🐹🐼 You can even record and save your amusing actions as a gif.

Man that bunny looks like he means business! 😄😄

Huawei’s AI Stabilization is amazing in videos but it does not work when you enable beauty mode whilst recording a video. You can record up to 1080p resolution on the front camera.

Anyway, enough of the chit chat, let’s see some samples in action... 🍿🍿🍿

So what do you think? Like what you see?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Very good blog, loved the outakes 😂
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Very good blog, loved the outakes 😂

Can't believe I called it an iPhone. The shock, the horror 😀
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Very good blog, loved the outakes 😂Can't believe I called it an iPhone. The shock, the horror 😀

Yeah that was really funny, props for leaving it in
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Great review and great video! Thank you for sharing this @Tboy2000 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Thanks @Amy, T'was a fun project!
@Tboy2000 How do we get the background blur effects to work on portrait mode? Like Circles, hearts etc.... It doesn't seem to do anything when it's selected. Only a few work like folding blinds, pop & stage lighting. Can't seem to see the effect of the others.

Great video btw! 😀
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @jsammut

For Circles and Hearts, pin point light sources work best, eg fairy Christmas lights. Lights like that. If you have those sort of lights in the background, you should see the effects you are after 🙂

Glad you liked the video! Thank you kindly!
@Tboy2000 thanks for the quick response! I'll give it another go 👍🏼